2001 2wd Tundra- A Reasonable Build

Jbear

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I have been lurking for a while and I must say, their are some nice trucks here. My favorite part of this forum is seeing peoples innovations and creative ways to get where they want to go. I have had several 2nd gen Nissan Pathfinders in the past that I slept/traveled/lite four wheeled in, but I wouldn't call them a "build." I finally got my first truck and I am excited for it. I was looking for a truck, preferably a toyota, in my meager price range that would be reliable. I found this 2001 Tundra 2wd SR5 in great shape with 98,000 miles on it for a song. I still can't believe the price I paid. Half the cost of any other comparable Tundras on Craigslist. Here is the plan:

A. It is a daily driver (so no crazy mods)
B. Other than DD, it will haul mountain bikes (2-3 times a week in CO mountains)
C. House projects/general truck stuff. I believe a truck is a tool, I want it to be usable, so no bobbed bed or spare tire bed mount.
D. Camping, duh. A fair amount of camping hopefully and mostly involving mountain bikes
E. I'd rather not add mods that I'm not going to get good use out of (shouldn't this just be a good rule in general)
F. I plan on driving this truck well over 200k

Here it is when I brought it home: (why is this crooked here and not on my computer?)

IMG_0903.jpg

The paint was faded on the roof, so I plasti-dipped it black. Turned out great! That was about 6 months ago and it has been super durable through the winter and is not noticeable. Couldn't have asked for any better considering it cost me $15. I also redid the sound system (no pics sorry) Pulled out the old deck, XM radio reciever, amp, and subwoofer and installed a new 12" sub with custom box under the rear seat, new 300 watt amp, and new JVC head unit. Sounds awesome. I also got a Dakine truck pad that hold 7 bikes on the tailgate.

On the outside I decided I wanted the truck level, with the ability to run some bigger tires. I didn't want the standard 3/1 leveling kit though. I measured the back height vs the front and found the stock back height to be 2.5 inches higher than the front. Easy fix, I installed 2.5" lift spacers on the front, got an alignment, and voila! Problem is, the 2.5 inch spacer lifted the front 3" and pushed the back down 1.5 inches. doh! I have an AAL going in in the very near future to help correct this. While doing the lift I also got crazy with some more plasti-dip to see what the stock wheels would look like black. I will be doing this permanently (not with plasti dip) in the future as I like it a lot.

Before lift: (The picture flip doesn't make any sense)

IMG_1253.jpg

After lift (but before springs had settled and before finishing the wheels):

IMG_1255.jpg

All done:

IMG_1256.jpg

In the immediate future (this week), I be lacing up a set of 265/75/16s. Again, mostly for DD with practicality in mind, but with the occasional need for extra traction. I haven't decided between the Cooper Discoverer AT3's and the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Probably will depend on which one I can find for a better price. Thoughts? I also have a set of Energy Suspension Rack and Pinion Bushings on the way. Timing belt service also will be done ASAP.

Future plans include:

Half bed rack (so I can still carry bikes over the tailgate and haul camping gear)
Custom front bumper guard (summer welding project)
Spray-in bedliner (needs to be redone)
Possible an air compressor of some kind.
A bit more in-cab organization. (any good ideas?)
Bilstein 5100s (down the road a ways)
Maybe new UCAs? (I feel like I will probably want these to run the truck as long as I want, but man are they expensive for a little horse shoe thing)

busmup808

c3e61e7f1b6db73f7389c3d90a858b69.jpg

7b06ca7c199bbc27d4b154a5401ca5ed.jpg

sent from my Hawn fingers

AaronK

Explorer
Clean rig! Low miles too...It's just getting warmed up

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

smokeysevin

Observer
Check the Lower Ball Joints on the front end, there was a recall on them. I have 230k on my 01 and 2 timing belts later its almost as tight as when it was new.

Sean

Jbear

Update! Went with the Cooper Adventurer A/T (Pep Boys branded version of the Cooper Discoverer AT3, same tire) in 265/75/16 and love them! Big difference. Also got the Rack bushings done. Next on to the tie rods and an AAL (all sitting in my garage waiting patiently.)

Summer adventures have started! 3 trips to the mountains in and the truck is great. We went to Moab (no wheeling, just mountain biking) and it was the perfect shuttle vehicle to get up to the top of Porcupine ridge. Just what I needed. For the summer I am hoping to get a half bed rack built so that I can still put bikes in the back and have two levels of storage.

IMG_1366.JPG

Tires

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Bikes

Jbear

On another note, I started tripping a P0446 code today. Sounds like it is either the gas cap or the Evap canister but I haven't really checked either. Anyone have this trouble before?

AaronK

Explorer
I don't remember the specific DTC I got but I've had a evap code before. Vacuum hose fell off of the purge valve.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

smokeysevin

Observer
I know on my wife's camry the hoses are approaching the age that they are starting to crack. It is worth checking all the vacuum hoses. I replaced all of them on my tundra a few years ago with silicone.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior