2001 4Runner ... let the mods begin

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I'm in the process of selling my Suzuki suspension and off-road bits and will soon have some money for 4Runner bits.

First on the list are sliders. Many choices, many price points. Leaning toward Demello Offroad's DIY kit for $199.

What are other folks using, and why did you choose them?

Second on the list (well, probably first as I already have 4wd Tundra springs and am awaiting LC springs for the all OEM lift favored at yotatech) is suspension. Will soon be installing the Tundra front/LC rear to give 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

Third is a winch bumper. Looking at the TJM T-17, gives a fairly clean look without hoops. What are people's argument for the top hoops on a winch bumper? Aside from the TJM and ARB, I've seen some others out there and am open to options/suggestions.

Then tires: I will probably go 265/75/16 (it has a good set of 265/70/16's now, but want more aggressive/bigger). But 285/75/16 is possible with the lift as would be the ever popular 255/85/16s. To those running the latter two sizes, what, if any, additional lift/trimming was needed? (I've read on yotatech a 1-inch bodylift solves all rubbing issues with those sizes).

Also, related to tire size, is how big a tire can you fit in the factory spare location underneath the truck? That could be the big limiting factor as spare tire carriers/rear bumpers are mighty expensive.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
jeffryscott said:
First on the list are sliders. Many choices, many price points. Leaning toward Demello Offroad's DIY kit for $199.

Good idea on the DIY kit. That is a great price. My Demello sliders have been excellent.

jeffryscott said:
Second on the list (well, probably first as I already have 4wd Tundra springs and am awaiting LC springs for the all OEM lift favored at yotatech) is suspension. Will soon be installing the Tundra front/LC rear to give 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

That should be a good combo and easy to replace. Nice find on the rear LC coils.

jeffryscott said:
Third is a winch bumper. Looking at the TJM T-17, gives a fairly clean look without hoops. What are people's argument for the top hoops on a winch bumper? Aside from the TJM and ARB, I've seen some others out there and am open to options/suggestions.

The hoop is to protect the radiator should an animal strike occur.

However, I do like the look of the 17. Nice and clean.

jeffryscott said:
Then tires: I will probably go 265/75/16 (it has a good set of 265/70/16's now, but want more aggressive/bigger). But 285/75/16 is possible with the lift as would be the ever popular 255/85/16s. To those running the latter two sizes, what, if any, additional lift/trimming was needed? (I've read on yotatech a 1-inch bodylift solves all rubbing issues with those sizes).

With the lift and your trail preferences, you should install a 255/85 or 285/75. Of course, I am partial to the 255 as it is easier to fit and even taller than the 285. Either will hurt on the highway without a gearing change, though if you keep the load light, it should not be too bad. Install a trans. cooler.

jeffryscott said:
Also, related to tire size, is how big a tire can you fit in the factory spare location underneath the truck? That could be the big limiting factor as spare tire carriers/rear bumpers are mighty expensive.

Not sure the answer to this, though I bet the 255 or 285 will fit.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
I'm in the process of selling my Suzuki suspension and off-road bits and will soon have some money for 4Runner bits.

What are other folks using, and why did you choose them?

Thanks,

Jeff

Let me know if you have any question, it wasnt long ago but I have been through all of this before and might be able to save you some trouble.

Aaron

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Jeff,

You can fit a 33" tire hanging at the stock location, but there's a catch. Do you have the tow bar? If so, you will have to air down the spare to make it fit. I removed my tow bar years ago and with it gone you can mount an inflated 33" tire with no problems. I've currently storing a spare 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR.

The one thing I'm disappointed about my '01 4Runner is the lack of a rear E-Locker. One option is to buy the rear diff of an older 4R (such as a 1998 model) with the rear E-Locker installed and swap out your existing rear diff. The only other thing you would have to do is wire it.

My sliders are from Badland Bumpers. I don't think Demello's 4R sliders were around when I got mine.

If you're going to install the Tundra/LC suspension, I don't think you'll have to worry about trimming anything. I had Racerunner Swayaway Adjustable Coilovers with my 285 MTRs and no rubbing. But if you retain your stock front bumber with your new suspension and tires, there may be some minor trimming to avoid possible rubbing.

If you haven't already found YotaTech, check out the site. It has a wealth of Toyota and particularly 4Runner-related technical and mod information. Oops, my bad, I see you've already mentioned YT.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions. My wife finally stopped bugging me about what i spend on my 4R shortly after to stopped complaining on all the shoes and clothes she buys.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have a 285 and a tow hitch no problems here. Obviously the AT doesnt quite have the tread height you MT does. As far as trimming is concerned make certain to look at the tire manufacturers spec sheet for the real numbers on the tires. Just because it says 285/75/16 doesnt always mean it take for instance.
BFG AT 285/75/16 = overall dia. 32.8 tread width NA
P7290286.jpg

Interco SSR 285/75/16 = overall dia. 33.9 tread width 9.4
P2210209.jpg

Coop STT 285/75/16 = overall dia. 33.1 tread width 8.85
P1011152.jpg

I ended up using 1" wheel adapters on mine as apposed to purchasing shaved upper a-arms, this resolved the to close to call clearance issues I was having with the SSR's and MT's.

Aaron

Ric

Adventurer
Jeff,
heres my list of requimendations:

Sliders: http://www.stubbswelding.com/

Lift: http://www.toyteclifts.com/

Bodylift: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

Under Armor : http://www.budbuilt.com/new/

Custom Fab work: http://www.armorology.com/

Custom Body or electrical: http://www.irbisoffroad.com/

Im a real "customer service" guy, and will ony deal with a few select business. there are companies out there, that do have better prices, but in the end, you get what you pay for. feel free to PM me with any questions, of if i can help you in any way. I can save ya a few bucks with a few of the business listed.
Heres a pic of where Im at now:
IMG_2762.jpg

jeffryscott

Am I correct in thinking that pretty much any of the 95.5 to 04 Tacoma front bumpers will fit the 4Runner?

Thanks,

Jeff

jeffryscott

Have a TJM-17 ordered and rock sliders from stubbswelding. Can't wait for their arrival.:D

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice Jeff!

I'll look forward to seeing the TJM on your 4Runner and hearing your impressions. The T17 is the only mass produced bumper still available for a T100. However Steve Shaffer at Sonoran Steel does custom grill hoops for the T17, and has done a ton of other great mods on the 3rd Gen Runners.

He may be the most knowledgable guy on the subject and he's in Tempe. My understanding from a write up he received in an early edition of 4WDToyota Owner is that several engineers from Toyota came to visit Steve and see what he'd done with his 4Runner. I've traded emails with him, seems like a good guy. I should've sent you a link to his site sooner, if you haven't already found it.

Regarding tire size, I know Darren runs 285's with 2.5 inches of lift on his '02 4Runner and they look awesome, really nice fit and stance with good ground clearence but I'm not sure what his exact suspension set up is these days....? You may be able to fit a 285 underneath just by hammering back the side rails of your spare carrier. Lots of guys do that although your exhaust pipe may be in the way for this to work, mine is.

Glad to see this is all moving right along for you. Nice new avatar too!

jeffryscott

The TJM17 should be a nice compromise between cost, weight and function. At 399 plus 95 shipping it is priced right, and without the hoops the weight will be slightly less and it will provide much better approach angles than the factory setup.

It will be nice to have a clean appearance versus the, how should I say, "redneck" looks of the Zuk.

I have seen Steve's site and plan to probably get some parts from him at some point, but want to get tthe sliders and bumper done first.

And as far as tires go, I think I will initially go with 265/75/16 Dunlop MTs, strictly because a friend has an almost new set of 5 he was given for production of a video that I can get for less than $400. Eventually, I will probably go 255/85/16, but until I get the suspension lift sorted out the 265's will be a nice compromise, especially for the price.

I'm still sorting out what to do about the suspension, and then I want to build a storage box setup for the back end. My wife has time off during the holidays (teachers are so lucky) so I hope to complete a lot of this stuff then.

In the meantime, I'm itching to get out on the trail.

Bighead

Adventurer
What size wheels will you be running? With the Tundra/LC lift, I had minimal rubbing at full stuff with OEM 16x7s and 285/75s. Once I moved to Mickey Thompson 16x8s (3.5" BS), the pinch weld became a factor. After some trimming, the rubbing was minimized. I have since moved to 315/75s on the same wheels and added a 1.5" BL. Now that created a lot of work in the front wheel well. I guess the point is, with 285/75s, the Tundra front end will work...just expect to do a little work in there for clearance.

jeffryscott

Well, thanks to the graciousness and friendship of Goodtimes, I have Stubbs sliders installed and my TJM t17, albeit winchless at the moment (how was I to know I needed a winch plate ...:smilies27

We, meaning 99-percent him, installed the stuff this morning then I took the girls for a jaunt to Redington to see the snow. Left to do are the Tundra front springs, OME N86 shocks in rear and either 2-inch springs or spacers (whatever I can find cheap), tires (probably 265/75/16 Dunlop MT) and storage in the rear ...

Here are a few pics:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior