2001 4x4 4runner build. At Molasses pace

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Stay strong brother!!! :REOutIceFishing: There are more trucks in the sea. :friday:
Yeah that helps!
When I sold my Taco of 11 years it felt like loosing a friend:-(
I'm tearing up gotta go!!! Lol

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Congrats on the sale. It will be interesting to see what your next vehicle will be.

Are you buyiing Bundu Gears GX470 :sombrero:?

Last edited:

BLKNBLU

Explorer
She's gone. It's done. Build over. 8 Years of awesome, amazing, adventures and sights, scenes, memories, food, people and star filled nights.

What an amazing truck. Whatever comes next has a helluva a lot to live up to.

Dude....

p nut

butter
Nah, nice truck, but I'd rather have about 120,000 less miles. :smiley_drive:

If you're looking for a rig with 20k miles, forget the 100 (or the 80, for that matter). Sounds like a 5th Gen TE may be in your future.

SOAZ

If you're looking for a rig with 20k miles, forget the 100 (or the 80, for that matter). Sounds like a 5th Gen TE may be in your future.
No, just not that high of mileage for the year of truck.
Nah, I was exaggerating, but I just don't want to start at almost 150k miles on a truck that new. Plenty of GX470's out there with 50-70K miles for 17-21k and then I could build bumpers and do it my way. Plus, I'd get one with KDSS. I really do like the 5th gens, but at $30k it's not worth taking one and hacking it up, YET.
I am thinking either the GX in the 50-80k miles or an 80 in the low 100,000 mileage range is where I'm headed.

p nut

butter
No, just not that high of mileage for the year of truck.
Nah, I was exaggerating, but I just don't want to start at almost 150k miles on a truck that new. Plenty of GX470's out there with 50-70K miles for 17-21k and then I could build bumpers and do it my way. Plus, I'd get one with KDSS. I really do like the 5th gens, but at $30k it's not worth taking one and hacking it up, YET.
I am thinking either the GX in the 50-80k miles or an 80 in the low 100,000 mileage range is where I'm headed.

Between those two, GX would be a better option, IMO. Two reasons:

- Availability. I searched for a good condition 80 for a few months back in 2007. It was hard trying to find one that wasn't super over-priced or ragged out. Good ones are gone within a day or less.
- Capability. Although 80 is plenty capable, I think from what I've seen you do, GX could handle it just as well, but with 3 times more comfort. The 4.7 V8 would be better suited for any hauling duties, or powering up steep mountain passes. And that KDSS system is pretty cool.

Only negative is that you will become an uppity Lex owner and required to wear pennyloafers year round.

SOAZ

If I could find one with pennyloafers I'd be a step ahead of the game! :sombrero:

It's funny, I know the GX would be more practical, but I'm just tired of "undoing" a truck.
GX would go like this: Pull out air bags, weld in spring perch. Pull air compressor. Custom make rear bumper for better clearance. Import front bumper. Custom make sliders because no one does for a KDSS gx. Make sleeping platform. Remove all the plastic body cladding. Put on seat covers or find cloth seats (leather at 110 degrees sucks). At some point remove the electronic actuator transfercase (once I kill the actuator which I will) and install a manual FJcruiser one. Pay someone to sort out the electronics after that so the computers stay happy (my 4runner dash looked like a christmas tree). Cross my fingers during ownership that nothing else breaks because if it's electronic it's too complex for me.
I just see the cost on a gx getting really high, really fast. $30k into it pretty easily just to get it how my old 4runner was. I can't justify it in my mind and I can usually justify anything! haha.

If I do an 80 I would do one with relatively low miles, some expensive addons already on it like bumper, drawers etc, great maintenance history, I can work on every part of it except deep engine work, deal with the bad mileage. It would be less of a "build" which I don't have time for right now, but more of a maintaining of a truck which I'll find time for.
My problem is although I don't offroad rock crawling trails I offroad A LOT. I wear out and kill parts, especially electronics. I have a particular 80 in mind and if it worked out I think it would either cure me of wanting an 80 after a couple years or it could just be a great "now" vehicle until the 5th gens are cheaper. (or it could be a forever truck, but I don't believe that exists! haha)
IMG950525.jpg mmm Moonglow... or d_1004.jpg or start with this 129_0407_04z+lexus_gx470+left_front_view_plastic.jpg and go to this: 29361_10151161452228123_928672060_n.jpg

Between those two, GX would be a better option, IMO. Two reasons:

- Availability. I searched for a good condition 80 for a few months back in 2007. It was hard trying to find one that wasn't super over-priced or ragged out. Good ones are gone within a day or less.
- Capability. Although 80 is plenty capable, I think from what I've seen you do, GX could handle it just as well, but with 3 times more comfort. The 4.7 V8 would be better suited for any hauling duties, or powering up steep mountain passes. And that KDSS system is pretty cool.

Only negative is that you will become an uppity Lex owner and required to wear pennyloafers year round.

Danimal

Adventurer
I've had fun keeping up with this build and your adventures for the last several years. Looking forward to your next one.

Dan

SOAZ

I've had fun keeping up with this build and your adventures for the last several years. Looking forward to your next one.

Dan
Thanks Dan! After just a couple days of owning no truck I'm looking forward to owning something I can escape the city in again! Overland Expo via corolla, here I come.

minikatsu

Back from the depths. What an amazing build. Inspiring to say the least! I must find your new build thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOAZ

Back from the depths. What an amazing build. Inspiring to say the least! I must find your new build thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliment! I haven't started a build thread on "Goose", but I've been out using the new truck as often as possible. Baja next week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman