2001 4x4 4runner build. At Molasses pace

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Very nice, excellent touch with the kick at the end!

Did you add any gussets and have you had a chance to test them out?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :sombrero:
I did the obligatory jacking up of the whole truck on the sliders to test them out.
Where were you suggesting gussets? If I did any I was going to put a triangle where the tube meets the frame. :arabia:

FourByLand said:
Very nice, excellent touch with the kick at the end!

Did you add any gussets and have you had a chance to test them out?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What I prefer to do, now that it's too late, is to build rectangular stringers in a taper. Frame rail height at that end and tube diameter height at that end. Avoids the 'notch' where the stringers meet the frame.

Props for the load spreading plates & their orientation!

IMHO a simple gusset on the top of the tube will act, when things are at their most extreme, as a 'cookie cutter' & cut into/thru the stringer tube or the frame. Could easily be that you can't achieve the loading needed for that to happen, I've no idea. An Engineering education isn't always a good thing, you see what could happen, but w/o knowing the loads you don't know if it CAN happen.

SOAZ

Thanks for the info!
So far so good. I am going to run it as is and do a little real world testing to see how they hold up.
If I do the triangle I'll modify it to incorporate some of your suggestions. I think it will be fine... I hope! :Mechanic:

ZooJunkie

Explorer
What's the diameter and wall thickness of the tubes you used?

PS: I like the build! Been thinking of doing the same for my Zoo.

Last edited:

SOAZ

Thanks!!

.120 wall inch and a half mild steel.
The small 1 inch supports where chromoly.

SOAZ

I got tired of dragging my trailer hitch. I had also punished my rear bumper on a couple rocks. So, I trimmed the bumper up about 5 inches and put a tube of inch and a half mild steel. Then I, really my buddy the fabricator did all of the welding though, cut and rewelded the hitch about 4 inches higher and an inch further in. :Mechanic:
IMG_0520_edited-1.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
SOAZ said:
I got tired of dragging my trailer hitch. I had also punished my rear bumper on a couple rocks. So, I trimmed the bumper up about 5 inches and put a tube of inch and a half mild steel. Then I, really my buddy the fabricator did all of the welding though, cut and rewelded the hitch about 4 inches higher and an inch further in.
OHHH!! I wanna do that so bad!

SOAZ

4RunAmok said:
OHHH!! I wanna do that so bad!
Now I gotta clean that rear tire so its not so unsightly! :yikes:
I had been wanting to do that. It was the last mod before my rear diff went out. :coffee:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
this is an awesome mod! I would love to do something like that on my 4th gen 4runner. I like this idea better than a huge heavy rear bumper that costs $1,000+.

SOAZ

Ryanmb21 said:
this is an awesome mod! I would love to do something like that on my 4th gen 4runner. I like this idea better than a huge heavy rear bumper that costs $1,000+.
I may redo it in the future and add some more bracing, a tire mount or at least some 5 Gallon can holders.
That being said I might not. This was free, a piece of scrap tubing 8 feet long. Two 1 inch supports and a few hours work. I bought my buddy beer to cover the disposible cutting wheels I used up.

Now time to find some weather stripping or tubing with a slice in it to put along the edge of the bumper I cut out.

Any suggestions? I've checked checker auto, Home Depot and even Ace with no luck... Where can I find something that actually slides onto and edge that curve like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman