2001 Disco 2 Valuation

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hey Rover Folkies! I have a very good friend with a classic rover sob story. Basically what we have is a PERFECT cosmetically Disco - green with great tan leather interior, beautiful paint, it even smells new. 111k miles... Mechanically, it threw a code and she took it to a respected local rover mechanic (Emile's in Santa Cruz, CA). First time they replaced the plugs and wires, second time they replaced the HG, third time they replaced the HG again... now they're telling her that it needs a new block because it dropped a cylinder sleeve. Ignoring the seeming incompetence of her mechanic at this point, what would you pay for an otherwise beautiful series 2 Disco? I doubt this thing has ever been off road, and it has been credit card maintained its whole life.

Thoughts? Anybody want it? It still runs and it's not disassembled, but it's shaking a bit and throwing the CEL.

EDIT - oops, it's a 2000, not '01

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Well, I'd give her $1K for it. A 2000 DII with a good running engine can be had for less than $5K. With her's needing a new engine block, unless someone can do the work themselves, she is looking around at least $5K, if not more, to have it replaced. So that makes her truck worth just about $1K.

Is it an SE or an SE7?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Well, I'd give her $1K for it. A 2000 DII with a good running engine can be had for less than $5K. With her's needing a new engine block, unless someone can do the work themselves, she is looking around at least $5K, if not more, to have it replaced. So that makes her truck worth just about $1K.

Is it an SE or an SE7?

Yah, Emile wants $5k to replace it. I'm pretty sure it's an SE7, but I will ask her.

DNTL740

Adventurer
ill give her 2, let me know if she wants to sell it. Am looking for a 2nd for my wife.

Cristian

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
ill give her 2, let me know if she wants to sell it. Am looking for a 2nd for my wife.

Cristian

Cristian -

She does want to sell it. I will take some good pictures and get a full history for you (and anybody else). Just to clarify - you are not going to want to drive this thing to SoCal. It's okay to start, maybe test drive, but I would not recommend anything beyond that.

sven

Adventurer
A 10 year old D2 with a bad block is worth 1k or less...I dont care how shiny and new it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998