2001 exterra 2wd 5 spd

OneTime

Adventurer
Im looking for a new DD and let my 16 yo daughter drive my LC 80 back and forth to school I do a lot of highway driving and 13 mpg is killing me. My first tought was a small 4 cyl hatch back. I want to be able to load up my mt bikes with the veh.

Im looking at a 01 5pd 2wd. My biggest need is MPG. This would not be a trail rig. I thought of the X over a hatch back due to the abilty to haul my bikes, gear and two sons for overnight camping trips. I often drive on mantained fire roads while on mtb trips and the higher clearance of the X would be nice over a small hatch back.

What kind of milage could I hope for? How much better milage would I get from a 4 cyl X?

edit Sorry for the (E)xterra spelling didnt catch that

Last edited:

Strizzo

Explorer
didn't know there ever was a 4cyl X, the 4cyl pathy only lasted to 88 or so. if mileage is what you really need, but only occasionally need the ground clearance, i'd look at a subaru forester or outback sport. they'll have better ground clearance than a car, better mileage and similar useability of the X. plus you get the awd for when the fire roads aren't maintained quite well enough.

XJINTX

Explorer
Yes, the 1st gens had the 4 cyl. I had two of the 6ers but gas milage was bad. Only ever met one 4cyl owner and he was happy with the mileage.

I would recommend a 4cy for most young drivers as the truck is solid and with the 4cyl even standard it will never be "fast".

if highway performance is not a desire than i say go for it!!!

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
4 cylinder xterra is a joke. U will get bad gas mileage with just because u have an under powered 4 banger still trying to pull a 4k lb suv around. U want something to haul bikes get a subaru forester or maybe a legacy wagon or the sorts.

ShoxX

Observer
Yeah I have two Xterras (neither 4cyl) and if I want to make someone laugh I tell them my MPG.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah for having small engines Xterras are sure gas guzzers. I average 15-17mpg. Which is what most full sized trucks with big v8's get. Is it a great reliable vehicle for biking or adventuring though? you bet!

The second gens 2005 and newer have better economy or at least the power to back it up.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
My 07 X 6sp OR gets around 19 around town and 21-22 for pure highway driving (20-21 in the mountains between Ohio and Virginia. Of course, I keep the speedo around 70mph, see no need to accelarate at full throttle (most of my shifts occur around 2,500rpm), and I do tend to pop her out of gear when I'm heading downhill or coming to a stop. When doing this, I only do it if the grade isn't too steep and when I'm not towing something or completely loaded up - no sense being dangerous about it. I also keep the tires properly inflated and don't idle for extended periods of time.

Not a hypermiler by any means, just trying to be conscious of mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior