2001 Land Cruiser KDJ95. Arctic Adventure completed!

johanso

Adventurer
Besides replacing a lot of the fluids before the trip most preparations of the truck has been described earlier in the thread. Two new things though is the home made fold-down table on the back door and the skibox. I was afraid that the process going from day-mode to sleeping-mode would be a hassle but after a couple of days it went quite fast. The fridge has to be relocated to the front seat but other than that it was easy. Much thanks to the skibox where we can store bulky things that we don't use everyday like fishing rods, sand ladders, hiking backpacks, chairs and table etc. Without it we would't have made it.

Actually I'm very glad that we decided to sleep in the car rather than getting a rood top tent for the kind of conditions we traveled in. A couple of nights the weather was really nasty and you could feel the wind shaking the truck. It's also nice to be able to sleep anywhere without attracting attention. We could just pull over and put up the curtains behind the windows and no one knew we were there.
DSC_0167.jpg
DSC_0176.jpg
DSC_0412.jpg
DSC_0326.jpg

reldred

Observer
Nice to see a Prado being used for what it's meant for. Down here they seem to be almost exclusively used for hauling affluent school kids to their private colleges...

Great photos, thanks for sharing!

johanso

Adventurer
I never came around continue the travel report.

Being in this region we obviously had to visit the North Cape. Contrary to common conception North Cape where the road ends is not the most northern point. Knivkjellodden close by is the most Northen point and is only accessible by hiking. From Knivkjellodden you get a very good view of the North Cape cliff.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

DSC_0157 1.jpg

johanso

Adventurer
Norway and Russia are only divided by a narrow river. When crossing the border the contrast is very visible in many aspects. On the Norwegian side the place is called Grense Jacobselv, Norway. In some places only a couple of meters wide. Guards patrol both sides of the border and one can only imagine the distance they must have felt between them during the Soviet era.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

johanso

Adventurer
On the Russian side you quite soon reach some industrial cities when really severe pollution in a way you never see in Sweden or Norway.
It felt very sad knowing what nature looks like 50km west in Norway.

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

johanso

Adventurer
We made a short stop in Murmansk where the highlight was the first nuclear ice breaker, Lenin. Now we where eager to head out in the wild.

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Thanks for the pictures, I would really like to come over there with my 60 and go for a similar trip. Nice truck, very well set up.

johanso

Adventurer
Thanks for the pictures, I would really like to come over there with my 60 and go for a similar trip. Nice truck, very well set up.

Thanks! It seems that the harder something is to reach the more appealing it appear. I've been to BC twice for skiing it just love your country in every aspect. I dream about taking the truck over pond and explore Canada more properly but it would be rather costly and perhaps hard to justify. We'll see, it might just remain a dream.

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
Awesome pictures! I still have hopes of getting hired on at the ST1 refinery in Gothenburg. If I would ever get off my butt and start learning Swedish I could apply.

:beer:

johanso

Adventurer
All swedes know English so I think you would be fine with an application in English. However I would think twice before considering giving up Texas for Gothenburg… :)

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
All swedes know English so I think you would be fine with an application in English. However I would think twice before considering giving up Texas for Gothenburg… :)

I've heard that too, but after talking with ST1 about hiring from outside the country they require that I know Swedish as well. I already have the Rosetta Stone at the house I just need to make the time to start it. Gothenburg definitely isn't my first choice in Sweden but at least it would get me into the country and I can go from there.

Out of curiosity, why would you not recommend Gothenburg? You can PM if you like so we don't muck up your thread.

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears