2001 Provan Tiger (F250 4X4) modifications

Esmi

Explorer
Wait?!? What?!?!

Soooo the tiger didn't actually cure the vehicular ADD?

Yes. I sort of need one of them long looping driveways to avoid congestion between the ones coming in and the ones going out. ;)

Actually, I am enjoying my status of being "between vehicles" at the moment.

ExpoMike

Wow, I think Linda holds the record for most Tigers owned by one person. LOL What is that, number 3 or 4 or ???.

Congrats to both.

suntinez

Explorer
Mike this is Tiger #3 for me. I'll be selling Tiger #2 (the XL) soon. And yes, I seem to have Tiger ADD. Not as bad as some though – when I was selling the GT I ran into someone who has 5 of them in his stable.

But I am loving this one, anticipate it will stay with me for a long time – it's got good bones and is worth the effort. The original owners spent 861 nights in it and did a good job with the upkeep.

For the first trip, I headed north to Pinnacles National Monument, then on to Monterey and Santa Cruz areas, around 1100 miles total. Tons of power and decent handling both on and offroad.

CX-peaks.jpg

CX-Monterey.jpg

CX-coast.jpg

This coach on this one is 15” longer than the XL, and sits MUCH higher. So high that the view out the passenger coach window in back is non-existent. Lucky for me, esmi replaced the dated stereo with a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD which will accept a camera input so that will definitely be happening. The view out the side tow mirrors is excellent when navigating traffic, but parking is a bit of an issue so that's on the list. Best as I can measure by myself, the high point on the roof is 118”.

First up will be replacing the roof vents, I had to do this on the XL also. I guess sitting in the elements for years takes its toll here first.

roofoverview.jpg

The small vent on the bottom left is over the bathroom, it doesn't seal at all and has a plastic grocery bag squeezed in there. These 9” mini-vents are somewhat hard to find, but thanks to someone on the Tiger usergroup I found one on ebay.

minivent.jpg

The vent cap for the bathroom pipe is missing, that's an easy fix since the pipe/mount is intact.

The rear fan works fine, although it leaks a little bit on the hinge side. But it's very loud and actually shakes the cabin when on the high setting. I'm deciding whether to replace it or add an AC unit – AC is winning at the moment, I don't do heat well.

On the left further forward is a mount for a TV antenna, and a cable for the dish that used to be mounted there. I don't need that, but will leave it in place for now since it's not hurting anything. Might find a use for the cable to the inside, solar monitoring perhaps? Will take a closer look at the type of cable used.

The front fan doesn't work, I'll be replacing that with a Fan-Tastic Vent 4000R.

I need to get to a scale and weigh it, the shocks are in need of replacement and I'd like to know what I'm working with here.

Alpentalic

The small vent on the bottom left is over the bathroom, it doesn't seal at all and has a plastic grocery bag squeezed in there. These 9” mini-vents are somewhat hard to find, but thanks to someone on the Tiger usergroup I found one on ebay.

minivent.jpg

You could also replace that minivent with one of these. http://bit.ly/MCTOWv
62997601.gif

Mine is in questionable condition as well, I plan to go this route as it looks a little studier to my eye.
That's an issue for me because it also happens to be positioned in the same area I stand when I need to clear snow off the roof.

suntinez

Explorer
You could also replace that minivent with one of these. http://bit.ly/MCTOWv
62997601.gif

Mine is in questionable condition as well, I plan to go this route as it looks a little studier to my eye.
That's an issue for me because it also happens to be positioned in the same area I stand when I need to clear snow off the roof.

Those are very nice units. BTW congrats on that Tiger you have, one of the best modified ones I've ever seen.

I'm not sure how snow removal is going to go for me on this Tiger. Currently I don't have access to the roof since the ladder was removed - that'll have to change.

Alpentalic

Thanks. Squeezer did a hell of a job, we'll be picking up the torch and continuing the project as time and money allow.
I'm going to replace the original 9" vent with one those hatches this Summer along with a few other basic updates.
Snow removal without the ladder = un-possible IMO, at least in the PNW where it comes down wet and heavy most of the time.
I made a special tool to get the job done, but being able to climb up on top makes all the difference.

P1070470a.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
I'd be interested to see that special tool if you care to share it.

Snow is an issue here too, this is the XL in Mar shortly after I replaced all the roof vents. Just in time :)

snowtiger.jpg

But - the CX will not fit in this parking spot so no roof access from the firewood shed for the new kid.

Alpentalic

I'd be interested to see that special tool if you care to share it.

tigersnowtool1.JPG

tigersnowtool2.JPG

Pretty simple really, it's a floor squeegee with a dam added to it to push snow.
The rubber squeegee part is low impact on the finish and the added dam is 3~4mm plastic that is strong, flexible/non-brittle that I got from Tap Plastics.

suntinez

Explorer
Most of what I've done so far is to use this thing! It is a blast to drive, tons of power and very comfortable living space with lots of inside storage. Got its first little drink this past week too.

wettiger.jpg

Tigermoon.jpg

I took it to a scale, with full water/gas/propane tanks it came in at 8420 lbs (3680 front axle/4740 rear axle).

The roof vents (except the bathroom pipe cover) have all been replaced.

roof.jpg

The AC is a Coleman Polar Cub 9200 BTU. It weighs around 90 lbs, and runs on 110 AC power with a 10A breaker. It is paired with the 67305 air distribution box on the inside. It is plenty for this small coach, and works well. It can run off a Honda EU2000i or other AC source. I'm still debating what that source will be.

The front fan is a Fantastic Fan 4000R.

After repairing the reignitor on the Dometic RM2354 3-way fridge, it works surprisingly well. Recently with inside coach air temps at 95 degrees, the fridge temp was 36 and the freezer actually made ice! Much better than my previous absorption fridges.

Next up will be a few latches on interior cabinets and some changes to the lower sofa cushion. The stock Tiger sofa/bed was replaced by the original owners with a homemade unit which is quite comfortable, and big enough for sleeping on without “making” the couch into a bed. I still don't quite get how these cushions are meant to fit though.

sofa.jpg

At the moment, access is through the top only but provides a huge amount of storage underneath. The problem for me is that my dog hops around back there while driving and has repeatedly knocked the whole cushion off, no bueno. It also needs some supports built into it to hold it up while getting stuff in/out.

sofaunderneat.jpg

Under the bench are two 12V Deka 8A24M Group 24 79Ah batteries. I've got a couple new Group 31 AGM 12V batteries in the wings if I decide to parallel them into the power bank. Before any changes are made to the electrical though, the small gauge cable which runs from the solenoid under the hood will get replaced - and perhaps the solenoid also. I recently pulled the National Luna system and a bunch of 1/0 gauge cable out of another vehicle so it may get put to use here.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Faboo! :wavey:

Animaniacs ? :box:

:sombrero:

Seriously, (and it has been said before) the idea of a pre-loved Tiger looks like such a great way to go !

Was just reading the ad for the one that Alpentalic adopted and wow, what a nice one that is :Wow1:

Wish my brain had been screwed on tighter when that came on the market, but things work out when they work out...

One can certainly understand how Suntinez has become addicted :ylsmoke:

Thanks to all for sharing about these great vehicles !

Just keeps getting better and better :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Animaniacs?
Hook, line and sinkered from Yakko and Wakko down through Chicken Boo and the Randy Beaman Kid. Sad that the current youth of America don't have the daily challenge of trying to "get' everything in those shows.

And for you, Frank . . .

"This is the earth. And this is Pinky. You can tell the difference quite easily. One is a lump of inert matter hurtling blindly through the void. The other... is the earth."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998