2001 Tacoma SR5 camper build (2WD)

tstege

Observer
I have recently purchased a 2001 Tacoma SR5 5spd 2wd and sold my old 94 T100 as gas was too much and I can get down most forest roads I need to with 2wd and chains for snow. Giving up 4wd was a big decision however 27mpg's on trips is pretty nice.

-My main goal is to set up a daily driver with a hard shell camper and platform that I can take off with for the weekend and still drive around town. I recently found a nice A.R.E DCU cap that I bought for it the utility style with side doors and barn doors on the rear. I was able to sell the fiberglass model it came with and finance the ARE shell and sleeping platform. Now I would like to add a window to the passenger side and sand it down and paint it a textured tan color.

-I need some help on suspension upgrades as my trip to Humbolt a couple weeks ago was a little rough going on the twisty roads. We made it just fine out to the lost coast (Sinkyone) down some washed out dirt roads but I think new shocks are needed. I was not sure if anyone could suggest something not too expensive that will give me a more firm ride? I was thinking four OME shocks? Not sure I want a true lift or anything just a nice long lasting solid suspension upgrade?

-Next my question is in regards to insulating my utility shell. It has no carpet and is all aluminum. I was thinking of cutting pieces of foam to size (a little big so they will fit really tight) and sticking them in between the aluminum framing of my shell. Once that was complete I was not sure if I could put carpet over it as it would be one nice large smooth surface or if I should put some sort of plastic over the foam and then carpet it? For this I was planning on using rivets to attach the carpet to the frame of the shell. I also was thinking of filling the frame tubing with great stuff spray foam to help with condensation?

I will post pictures soon any feed back is appreciated!IMG_0639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

tstege

Observer
Carpet and insulation

I meant to post this picture to explain a little better what I mean. This is from another persons build but what I was referring to is filling in all of the spaces between the frame with this blue foam and then carpeting (marine carpet) over it as it would be a flush surface. I want to prevent condensation not have it trapped under the carpet and causing mold. I generally leave a window or two cracked to help with airflow. Thanks again for any tips

Attachments

• felt01.jpg
    felt01.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 10

Applejack

Explorer
You can always contact ARB directly and they can be very helpful with your suspension figuring. Good luck with your build and keep it coming, it's good to see some more unconventional builds. I don't think I want to give up 4wd but if you can do it, go for it.

tstege

Observer
4wd

Giving up 4wd was hard at first but then I remember all of the times I never used it and got into gnarly spots without it. Then again I only tried it because I had it. Now I just have to scout a little ahead. I work for the Forest Service firefighting in the summer and live out of the truck and travel on days off. I have been down alot of logging and fire roads and normally 2wd works. So hopefully my gas savings will make up for not being able to play in the mud anymore.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I presume this is a 4 cyl? Good on ya for this build. With gas prices going up, sooner or later people are going to have to start re-thinking their priorities and needs. Seems to me there's no point in having the biggest, best, most built up trail-ready rig and then leave it in the driveway because you can't afford to put gas in it!

From 1999 - 2003 I drove a 2wd Ford Ranger with a shell and I put nealy 93,000 miles on it in less than 3 years! I drove that thing all over Wyoming, Colorado and even Montana. I also drove it to North Carolina to attend a military school in the Summer of 2002 and it was one of the best "road trip" vehicles I ever owned (though it could have used cruise control.)

Sure, there are a lot of roads that are "off limits" but this country is criscrossed by good all-weather dirt roads that will get you to some pretty interesting places if you put in the research and are willing to park the truck and hike a little.

One of the things I like about 2wd pickups is that they are simple. No CV joints, no T-case, no ADD, no hubs, no complex transaxle, just a simple, old fashioned engine/transmission/rear axle layout.

If circumstances forced me into a 2wd I think I'd adjust to it just fine. Certainly I'd miss the ability to drive on the more gnarly 4wd roads but I wouldn't let that keep me from getting outside and enjoying the world.

Redrock

Observer
I might recommend a rear locking diff of some kind - they make up a lot of the difference between 2WD and 4WD when the going gets a little rough.

tstege

Observer
Red rock that is something that I had not thought about before. Are there several options of locker for a 2wd Tacoma that exist? It would help a lot with ruts and ravines I would think. Thanks for the new addition to my list!

tstege

Observer
Locker

Thanks I checked the Powertrax locker out it seems like a nice one. Anyone have any experience with these lockers? Seems like a decent price.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would be cautious of "lunchbox lockers" or other automatic lockers. I've had two spin-outs on ice that I'm pretty sure were caused by automatic LSDs kicking in at the wrong time.

An E-locker is more expensive but will give you much more control.

tstege

Observer
Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am almost done with the camper ARE camper shell, I had to put a 2'' piece of angel iron on the front lip as the one I bought was originally for a ranger so it was about 3/4" short. But for the price it was well worth it. I have also built a boot like another member on this site did using plywood, closed cell foam, and marine vinyl from the fabric store. All told so far I have spent about $375 on the shell and will have exactly what I wanted plus I sold my other shell for $300. Next I am hoping to add a second battery that can power a roof vent fan, a light, my laptop, and other little stuff. I am still researching how to set up an extra battery to allow me to drain it but not pull juice from my main battery. I would like it to be able to recharge of the alternator also once the truck is started again. Once I finish installing it I will post some pictures which hopefully will help anyone else with a Tacoma if they decide to go this route, as the ARE DCU 23 for rangers seem to be plentiful in California.

Regarding a locker and shocks/springs any ideas. I do want to stay away from the above mentioned Auto lockers as I have read that they can act up a little at bad times. I am not to sure about other kinds of lockers other that the ARB ones. I would like one that I can simply get out and manually lock up if that is possible, with as few breakable parts as I can get. I would also like to get 4 firmer more responsive shocks and possibly some springs up front.

I will

tstege

Observer
Alright so at the last second when I was about to start grinding and painting my ARE shell I found a six-pac utility shell which I did not know was even available, and it is a perfect fit for my truck. I had to drive 2 hours each way to get it but in the end it is better than retrofitting the ARE one which was a tad to short. It cost $200 but add another $50 for gas to Bakersfield. I also have the platform in now. Next up I am ordering some side windows, a roof vent w/ fan, two lights, and I am gonna insulate and carpet it.

I would also like to figure out how to add a battery in the bed and allow it to charge when the truck is running, but not ever pull from my main battery if it dies. Any links or suggestions for this.

I would also like to add a Yakima or similar basket type roof rack on the actually truck and then put an air spoiler on it to help with the camper sticking up an extra 8'' above the truck.

Lastly suspension I am leaning toward the OME full kit new leafs, coils, and shocks. It lifts the truck 1.75" which I am not sure about I don't want to have to extend the brake lines or anything. Anyway plenty of work left to do. IMG_0303.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpg

tstege

Observer
Martin hey I meant to ask you if you had any suggestions on lockers other than ARB I don't need or want a compressor. Also yes it is a 2.4L 4cy seems really nice so far plenty of power up and down the mountains. Tyler

tstege

Observer
more pics of the camper shell and dual battery setup

IMG_0646.jpgIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0612.JPGIMG_0607.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0619.jpgSo here are some more pictures which I know everyone likes. I bought some windows just sliders with screens and a fantastic fan off line.

I also installed a yellow top optima with an inverter and a dome light. The battery is isolated so it will only charge when the truck is on once its off you can only pull power off the back which will last a couple days with the fan and light.

I also filled in all of the frame in the back with 1" insulation and then covered it in shower board which is available at home depot and really flexible and easy to work with.

the roof was a little harder since I had to make the curves. In order to do that I just turned on my little heater buddy heater in the back of the truck which makes it a sweat shop back there and then the shower board is super flexible and allows the stuff to be conformed.

Also I am really liking the platform it is lower than most and allows for the most head room while still letting me store chairs, shoes, stove, pots, and other stuff under there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears