2001 tacoma wont go into 4 wheel drive

tbar

Observer
need some help
my 2001 tacoma standard trans v6 wont go into 4wheel drive ,
the 4 x 4 light comes on, when i go to move the truck its like the brakes are on in the front the truck wont budge
thanks

tbar

Observer
no that seems normal
it wont move in 4 high , when i put it in 4 low it jumps forward and then stops. in reverse it does the same.
2 wd seems normal

RabidRover

Observer
How is "stopping"? Did this happen all of a sudden? Does it feel like it is locking against something internally? This might sound really weird but check your fuses and see if anything is blown ... I had something similar happen with mine and it ended up being related to a blown fuse. I changed the blown fuse and everything worked normally afterwards. That was 4 years ago and I can't remember which fuse it was but the problem never came back.

Applejack

Explorer
Do you have manual hubs? If not....

Block your wheels, set the e-brake, get a blanket and go lay underneath your truck. It's feeling neglected:sombrero:.

But seriously, do that and try a few things; put both t-case and tranny in N and see if you can rotate your front drive shaft, there might be something binding there. If all seems well there, jack the front end off the ground, hand spin the tires and listen for odd sounds (clunking, grinding). If that checks out okay get it up on jack stands so that all four wheels are off the ground, try putting in 4wd and see if it will spin the wheels with them in the air.

..........Or you could just take it to mechanic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman