2002 4runner...The find.

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
Hello Portal, I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and introduce the new addition to the family. I've been on the hunt for a Tacoma Dbl cab 4x4 (1st gen) for many, many months, scouring the various sources for the right vehicle. The frequency of these searches could have been classified as hobby; I'm sure many of you can empathize. The search for the right Tacoma was becoming increasingly frustrating, and couldn't swallow spending 13-15k on a dbl cab 1 gen Taco with 120+k miles, ridiculous. But I continued looking and tried to keep my options open, but really wanted that 1st gen.

Well about 2 weeks ago I was once again scouring CL and decided to do a 4Runner search, and was slapped in the face with a very interesting post. It read something like this: 2002 4runner excellent condition, won't find a cleaner vehicle....and the kicker.......64k miles! I believe I stopped reading at that point and quickly fumbled for my phone and started punching in numbers as I read the rest of the post. I got in contact with the owner and asked him some questions and asked if he could send me some pictures ( the post had no pictures, but don't let that be the reason you pass up a potential find ) and he basically explained that he didn't know how. He was an older guy that just didn't have the tech skills to attach pictures, bless his heart. I asked if I could come take a look and it turned out he wasn't too far away, but he told me that someone from Oregon was having a friend come look at it for him in about an hour. I insisted and jumped in in my 2008 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback (POS) and headed over. The truck looked good, took it for a test drive and when I got back the other guy was there waiting to look at it for his friend. That was a close one. I was ready, and he had posted a price for it but I went ahead and played dumb and said, "so what do you want for it?" He came back with price about $1500 less than was posted (lesson there). I repeated him to be sure I heard him correctly, and I in fact heard him correctly. I was SOLD. I tried to knock it down even more, but he wasn't hearing it and I quickly backed down and was ready to shake on it. I gave him a check to hold it and came back the next Friday seal the deal. It turned out that I had interest in my Mazda 3 the following week and had a buyer the same day I was going to buy the 4runner. Some things are meant to be. I bought the 4runner came home and met the buyer for the Mazda and sold it, all in one day. The best part about it was that the Mazda sold for about what I paid for the 4runner (4Runner had less miles than my 2008) Couldn't have worked out any better, and I'm now the very happy owner of a 2002 4x4 SR5 4Runner. Also worth mentioning that this truck was traded into the local dealer and the dealer replaced the timing belt and water pump per scheduled maintenance due to time, not mileage obviously. Bonus! I verified this with dealer before sealing the deal. Without further adieu...

Here she is the day she came home

IMG_20130208_170349.jpg

Found this in the back of the original owners manual, gave me the warm fuzzies. Synthetic oil since birth and generally loved its entire life.

IMG_20130209_080259.jpg

Vantage

Adventurer
Looks fantastic, love the forest green!

It's always nice seeing something like that when buying a used car, to bad so many people neglect their cars regular matienance.

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
^ Thank you

Took some out of town guest up the hill yesterday for a view of the city, good photo op...basket came in the mail yesterday too.

IMG_20130216_110759.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow--very nice find! BTW, what didn't you like about the Mazda 3 hatch? Those are supposed to be top-notch!

+1 on this. I'd like to know what was wrong with the Mazda3, too.

My current DD is a 97 Protege with 220k on it (new engine in the last year, though.) Still runs like a top. I like the Mazda3, very good looking car. I would consider it as a replacement for my Protege if/when it ever dies on me.

IMO the Mazda3 is one of the best looking 4 door compact cars out there today. And the wagon version is nice, too (I have a real soft spot for wagons, wish there were more compact wagons available on the market.)

Congrats on the 4runner. 3rd generations are sort of "goldilocks" vehicles - not too big, not too small, just right. And the build quality is outstanding.

Jealous about the color! Forest green is my favorite. The 4th gen was available in Forest green for just one year, 2003, and you see very few of them around.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice 4-runner!!!!! I bought a new Mazda3 sport in 2005. It handled great, and got good mileage, 30mpg average. But other than that it was a POS. Thin paint that chipped if you looked at it wrong. AC system went out with only 70k on the clock, in the middle of New Mexico in August. Right front motor mount broke and never replaced it because they constantly break according to the forums. Oxygen sensors don't last, gas caps throwing emission codes. And a lot of little stuff. Just seemed like a cheaply built car to me. Sold it with 120k miles for 5k. Much happier with the new Camry.

Last edited:

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
+1 on this. I'd like to know what was wrong with the Mazda3, too.

My current DD is a 97 Protege with 220k on it (new engine in the last year, though.) Still runs like a top. I like the Mazda3, very good looking car. I would consider it as a replacement for my Protege if/when it ever dies on me.

IMO the Mazda3 is one of the best looking 4 door compact cars out there today. And the wagon version is nice, too (I have a real soft spot for wagons, wish there were more compact wagons available on the market.)

Congrats on the 4runner. 3rd generations are sort of "goldilocks" vehicles - not too big, not too small, just right. And the build quality is outstanding.

Jealous about the color! Forest green is my favorite. The 4th gen was available in Forest green for just one year, 2003, and you see very few of them around.

Thanks, I really love this vehicle!

The Mazda Hatch is a great looking car, and I too love wagons for their look and versatility....some of the reasons I bought it. Mine was blk on blk with all the goods, heated seats etc. great mpg as mentioned, really nice looking car...BUT, Scott C mentioned some of the common issues with these cars, and they certainly have issues. Motor mounts break, idle issues, idle issues under load (which mine had). It wouldn't stall on me but for some owners the car will quit on them. I researched this issue at length and came across a lot of the same complaints, and the many ideas about what would fix the problem. Mine would rough idle and would start making this tapping or banging sound that could only really be heard inside the car, and it would constantly seek while trying to idle too...no codes, either. Another thing that just drove me nuts was all the interior squeaks, rattles, ticks. It seemed like a new noise would pop up every month. For a car that only had 67k miles I wasn't willing to deal with the future issues. I have a "Toyota" IS300 that has over a 100k and the only issue I've had to deal with was an O2 sensor that I replaced in about 15 min. Besides all that, I wanted a vehicle that could get me "out there."

Last edited:

MCObray

Explorer
Congrats on your purchase. Low mileage, awesome color, and maintenance up to date. Hard to beat that!

xCSx

Adventurer
Nice!

For what it is worth in my 2010 mazda 3 2.5 GT at around 51K miles - I have had 0 problems. I can see this car getting 200K+ miles easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears