2002 Jeep TJ "Caretaker"

Caretaker

Caretaker
Hey all, joined about a year ago but life got in the way so I never got around to introducing myself or posting a build thread! My name is Chris and I am about to start my sophomore year of college. I've always been passionate about jeeps due to watching my father rebuild CJ8s and Golden Eagle CJs. When I was 14 I bought a 1997 cherokee with the money I had saved from helping around on our rice farm. It was a 1 owner rig super clean. My junior year, the wrangler bug got me and I had to have one, so the search ensued :elkgrin: After a couple of months of looking, I finally found one May 2014. I knew I wanted it to be an expedition type build ever since I saw a convoy of Jeeps and 80 series headed to Moab when I was in Colorado snow skiing.

*Disclaimer* - This build may not move as fast as some others do due to the fact that I am paying for school and everything else that comes along with being in college. I just spent $1600 in summer classes :Wow1:

Anyways, here are some specs on it.

2002 Jeep TJ Sport Factory Specs
-82,000 miles the day I picked it up :bike_rider:
-4.0L
-NV3550 5-speed
-Dana 44 rear
-Dana 30 front
-3.73 gears
-231 transfer case
-Hardtop
-PJC Paint code (light khaki metallic)

Items installed by previous owner
-Bestop Highrock front and rear bumpers
-H4 conversion headlight bulbs and housing
-KC lights on front bumper and windshield frame
-33x10.50R15 BFG KM2
-*The way he "lifted" this thing was by putting a budget boost in the FRONT ONLY. He also put shocks off a newer rubicon on all the way around. This made for an interesting ride since the rear shocks were bottoming out over every little bump :eek:

Here's a pic from the day after I got it home and all washed up!
pm1M9N2Xj

The first thing I did was swap all the KC lights out for LEDs because of how much power the KCs draw. I also got it "broke in" after hitting the most random mud-hole ever. We were on a dirt road that I've been down 1000 times and before we know it, we sunk down to where the front bumper was level with the ground (see pic) :Wow1:
plvHu5bnj

A couple weeks later, I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Old Man Emu rear HD springs. With the full intention of adding a tire carrier, roof rack, etc down the road I figured it would be best to buy the HD now and not swap them out later.
pmYlUwVEj

For high school graduation, my mom bought me a Bestop Trektop :sombrero: I love the fact that the windows come out and you still have a full safari top. This pic also shows the new ride height in the rear after the OME springs.
pndvOgT5j

Next, with the money I made during the summer, I bought a CB radio kit from right channel radios and a set of 33x10.50r15 BFG KO2s :wings:
Somewhere in that time period I trimmed up the front fender flares.
pmcql4Z9j

poTBBQiEj

poQ2hJS5j

That brings us to the most recent mods, I added an odyssey battery, small led reverse light under the bumper, and a Metalcloak rear trackbar which is pure beef :sombrero:
pop5mWKdj

pnOdUKBej

pnCLLYDcj

pmr8h13rj

As I said earlier, this build won't move along super fast but I will be turning it into more of an overland build as funds allow. I dream of taking a trip out west going from New Mexico, to Arizona and up to Oregon and back through Colorado when I graduate college. If you all have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them! Also I'm sorry if the pictures are massive, first time posting them.

Last edited:

Caretaker

Caretaker
Thanks! And No it was ordered with the d44 rear. I thought the same thing. I think it's the SE models that only get the 35

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Very nice rig. Are you sure you have a d44 in the rear? I thought all sports come w/ d35 stock

You could get a Sport with a towing package that came with the D44 upgrade.

Great start so far man! Awesome not only to see another TJ on here, but to see another college student. How are you liking the OME springs longterm? I just installed mine 2 days ago and they handle great, on the stiffer side but overall feel great. I imagine they will get better once they go through their break in period.

Caretaker

Caretaker
You could get a Sport with a towing package that came with the D44 upgrade.

Great start so far man! Awesome not only to see another TJ on here, but to see another college student. How are you liking the OME springs longterm? I just installed mine 2 days ago and they handle great, on the stiffer side but overall feel great. I imagine they will get better once they go through their break in period.

Thanks for the warm welcome! And yes the OME springs have settled a little since installation. i bought the HD springs which ride pretty firm but it's not bad. I figure when I get a tire carrier and full armor and a full size spare it will ride a little better

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Thanks for the warm welcome! And yes the OME springs have settled a little since installation. i bought the HD springs which ride pretty firm but it's not bad. I figure when I get a tire carrier and full armor and a full size spare it will ride a little better

That was my idea. I went ahead and went with 2" ZJ fronts and 2" LJ rears to help counter my extra weight from bumpers and such. It currently sits a tad higher than I wanted, 3" of lift total, but again it'll settle and also extra weight added in the future will fix that.

Something to consider for a future mod is either a front or rear locker. An Aussie lunchbox up front is a fairly affordable option when compared to a rear locker, but keep in mind that you will still need stronger shafts up front. If that's something you would rather not mess with right now, a Warn M8000 would look good on front bumper. Just an idea:elkgrin:. Also, just saw you are located in Arkansas. If you need a second rig for some trails, I'm in Fayetteville (will be back in August):cool:

Just saw your post after replying:sombrero:

Caretaker

Caretaker
Something to consider for a future mod is either a front or rear locker. An Aussie lunchbox up front is a fairly affordable option when compared to a rear locker, but keep in mind that you will still need stronger shafts up front. If that's something you would rather not mess with right now, a Warn M8000 would look good on front bumper. Just an idea:elkgrin:. Also, just saw you are located in Arkansas. If you need a second rig for some trails, I'm in Fayetteville (will be back in August):cool:

Just saw your post after replying:sombrero:

I actually have a Warn 8274 in my shop that I'm gathering parts for :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger