2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

CaptHammer

Gotta say I love this thread. You're doing a great job on your Tahoe. I'm living vicariously; just picked up a low mileage 2001 Tahoe, but I know I won't have the opportunity for so many cool mods...

SS350

another L100 ARB fan

Nice job on that bumper and thanks for the information, I've had issues with most of the chevy NBS options I have found, maybe i'll try it on my 03 duramax.
i'll have to adjust for the difference in height in the HD frame but the diesel guys put 1/2 ton bumpers on often enough.

Seif

Rock Rails or Nerf Bars

02TahoeMD,

Was wondering if you'd considered adding either rock rails or nerf bars to your Tahoe? I have a '04 Yukon and am trying to decide what to do. I don't necessarily want full on side-steps, but rather something close in to the frame/body, low profile, nice and tight. I have not been able to locate anything for our platform other than the traditional nerf-style steps.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

John

p.s. Your build is my main source of inspiration and education as I am starting from stock. I love many of the things you have done so far and aspire to get mine to your level some day. Thanks for sharing your journey -

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
I love this build but I can't sleep at night after getting so many ideas. I have a suburban and am looking at rock rails from Trail Gear, they have a nice weld on kit in several lengths. I can't wait to watch more of 02TAHOEMD's build.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Went through the whole thread. Love all of the ideas, and plan on adapting as many as I can to my pickup! Especially love the center console mod, though I will probably just end up building mine out of wood since that's my bread and butter so to speak. This build really makes me want to go trade my truck in for a Tahoe, though ;)

02TahoeMD

Explorer
02TahoeMD,

Was wondering if you'd considered adding either rock rails or nerf bars to your Tahoe? I have a '04 Yukon and am trying to decide what to do. I don't necessarily want full on side-steps, but rather something close in to the frame/body, low profile, nice and tight. I have not been able to locate anything for our platform other than the traditional nerf-style steps.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.
John
p.s. Your build is my main source of inspiration and education as I am starting from stock. I love many of the things you have done so far and aspire to get mine to your level some day. Thanks for sharing your journey -

Thanks so much, I have considered some rock sliders but, so far, have not truly needed them on the trails I have traveled. Removing my running boards was one of the best easy mods I ever did, due to the added clearance. So, I dont need a step but to have protection for the rocker panels and doors definitely appeals to me. I will continue to kick the idea around and may take on adding some this summer. I promise to post up if and when I do.

I love this build but I can't sleep at night after getting so many ideas. I have a suburban and am looking at rock rails from Trail Gear, they have a nice weld on kit in several lengths. I can't wait to watch more of 02TAHOEMD's build.

Hmmm, may I suggest some over the counter sleep aids? Maybe some melatonin? I hate to think of causing anyone to miss sleep....:cool:

Went through the whole thread. Love all of the ideas, and plan on adapting as many as I can to my pickup! Especially love the center console mod, though I will probably just end up building mine out of wood since that's my bread and butter so to speak. This build really makes me want to go trade my truck in for a Tahoe, though ;)

Thanks guys, as always, I do appreciate the kind words, and to know that folks are still reading this after having started this project 4 years ago...my how time does fly. I was issued a 2011 Tahoe for my work vehicle and I spent a good amount of time, effort, and money setting it up for work so that is what has taken up a great deal of my creative energy. Dont worry....no camping / exploring / expeditionary mods related to that truck.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
You have done your Tahoe the almost the same way I want to do my Yukon! I love it. Can't wait to finish school and get some money so I can build mine up.

Seif

Thanks so much, I have considered some rock sliders but, so far, have not truly needed them on the trails I have traveled. Removing my running boards was one of the best easy mods I ever did, due to the added clearance. So, I dont need a step but to have protection for the rocker panels and doors definitely appeals to me. I will continue to kick the idea around and may take on adding some this summer. I promise to post up if and when I do.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I look forward to what you decide to do. I am looking at getting some made for the Yukon as I have not found any that are specifically for my truck. The closest I've found are for a Tacoma, which may work, but they'd have to be modified a bit (not a big deal I am sure).

On a different note, what would you suggest for a 2-3 inch lift? I've heard to get new springs (rear), get spacers (rear), get new keys (front), etc. I am a bit confused and could use an experienced, objective point of view. That will set the stage for some bigger tires, better suspension, etc.

Thanks again. I am stoked to get the Yukon far enough along so I can post pics for the rest of you to see.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
You can get a easy 2" by cranking the torsion bars up front and a spacer in back. Anything more than that, to do it properly, you need to buy a good kit, and that will cost quite a bit.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I look forward to what you decide to do. I am looking at getting some made for the Yukon as I have not found any that are specifically for my truck. The closest I've found are for a Tacoma, which may work, but they'd have to be modified a bit (not a big deal I am sure).
On a different note, what would you suggest for a 2-3 inch lift? I've heard to get new springs (rear), get spacers (rear), get new keys (front), etc. I am a bit confused and could use an experienced, objective point of view. That will set the stage for some bigger tires, better suspension, etc.
Thanks again. I am stoked to get the Yukon far enough along so I can post pics for the rest of you to see.

First, in regards to rock sliders, I just remembered a member over at the Z71T-S forum had them put on his NBS Tahoe. Click here for the link.

Second, for my lift I replaced the front torsion keys with keys for a F150 since their notches are set slightly different vs the GM ones, and allow for more lift for the amount of adjustment put on them. I added 2 inch spacers to the coil springs that were off a regular Z71. (I had an LT and wanted to upgrade to the slightly taller Z coil, but this was by no means mandatory) So, really, you dont need new springs, just adjust keys and add spacers. You can get about 2 to 3 inches from this mod. Now that my truck has settled some with age, I am considering adding Firestone air bags to the inside of the coil springs for some more support, but, like the rock sliders, it is not terribly urgent. With the keys and spacers, I have seen tires as big as 35s stuffed under our rigs. If you search around on the Z71T-S site linked above, you will see many pages dedicated to suspension lifts and related tech info.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your own build thread.

Seif

noJeepshere:

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be that simple. Don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I don't need to spend it on. *Lots of other stuff to do yet* :)

First, in regards to rock sliders, I just remembered a member over at the Z71T-S forum had them put on his NBS Tahoe. Click here for the link.

Awesome! A perfect example. And I was looking at the Trail Gear kit as well. Not bad for ~$200.

Second, for my lift I replaced the front torsion keys with keys for a F150 since their notches are set slightly different vs the GM ones, and allow for more lift for the amount of adjustment put on them. I added 2 inch spacers to the coil springs that were off a regular Z71. (I had an LT and wanted to upgrade to the slightly taller Z coil, but this was by no means mandatory) So, really, you dont need new springs, just adjust keys and add spacers. You can get about 2 to 3 inches from this mod. Now that my truck has settled some with age, I am considering adding Firestone air bags to the inside of the coil springs for some more support, but, like the rock sliders, it is not terribly urgent. With the keys and spacers, I have seen tires as big as 35s stuffed under our rigs. If you search around on the Z71T-S site linked above, you will see many pages dedicated to suspension lifts and related tech info.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your own build thread.

It does! I actually already have the Z71 package so I think I am ahead of the game. Just need to adjust the front to sit level with the back, then assess from there.

Thanks again - Onward!

skysix

Adventurer
OBS = old body style (early 2000 and older, to i think 92)

NBS = new body style (late 2000 to 2006)

NNBS = new, new body style (2006 to present)

I know that the first 2 are right. not 100% on the 3rd.

So is OOBS the '73-'87 style? (from '88-'91 most of the pickups were restyled but the Crew-Cab, Blazer, Jimmy, and Suburban versions continued up until the 1991 model year).

skysix

Adventurer
Re rock sliders - there's a guy on Steel Soldiers that makes a really HD set for OBS Blazers - I would not be surprised if he'd custom make a set for a Tahoe. Rock Sliders

Re: Front brake lines / lift. Did the keys on mine but at full droop the originals are stretching, how much longer were the SS ones you replaced them with? And with the rear emergency cable and 2" spacers it rubs or is too "tight" - did you replace or re-route or ??

Re: Front calipers - where from? Cost of the conversion? and do you like the greenstuff pads - have had yellowstuff recommended to me.

Have you ever thought about changing the vacuum booster for the brakes to a hydroboost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman