2003 4x4 Suburban 2500 rear bumper mounted spare tire

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Now defunct Kennesaw Mountain Accessories used to make such a product, I have one on the back of my truck. Alas it required a good amount of cleanup for the price I paid. KMA has renamed themselves a few times and may still be making stuff, do not know. An idea that you can potentially do, if you have the money for it, is to purchase an ARB rear bumper / swing away assembly for a Toyota Land Cruiser and modify it to fit on your Suburban. I have taken the measurements of Series 80, 90, 100, and 200 LC's and the dimensions are pretty close to that of the GMT800 SUV's. I modified a ARB bumper to fit on the front of my Tahoe, and sometimes contemplate doing the same for the rear and selling the KMA bumper.

Another potential choice would be Buckstop bumpers, I think they would modify one of their own products to mount a spare tire carrier. Not sure how much that will cost.

If you have a metal shop near you, fab up an idea out of heavy cardboard and take that to them as a template and have them weld up a bumper.

Regardless, you are gonna have to shell out some $$ to make it a reality, because there just is not the demand for bumpers for our SUVs.

chet6.7

Explorer
One of the guys from this site has a Buckstop bumper rear tire carrier on his Expedition.I think it may be on the front page and there is a thread somewhere on the forum.

ClovisMan

Observer
Try James at:
https://www.rlcweldfab.com/

He made my dual swingout rear bumper for a fraction of the cost of ARB/Buckstop etc.

843pofG.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
ClovisMan, that bumper looks great. I just went to their website and it not listed as an available Chevy product. He is doing himself a disservice by not having that as part of his available products menu.... he makes a nice looking bumper.

01BURB

Speedracer, where are you located? I have an 01 2500 Suburban with custom bumpers on front and rear. I had a local fab shop make them. Looking at selling truck in somewhat near future so might pull bumpers off if you are interested Ill try to get some pictures of them in next couple of days

ClovisMan

Observer
ClovisMan, that bumper looks great. I just went to their website and it not listed as an available Chevy product. He is doing himself a disservice by not having that as part of his available products menu.... he makes a nice looking bumper.
He doesn't have a lot of what he does on his website. give him a call, I'm sure he's made a few GMT800 products. My rear bumper with both swingouts was 1200.00, my front winch bumper was 700. Shipped through Fastenal for 120.00. I literally got both bumpers shipped for the price of a single ARB/Buckstop.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Jelorian has a decent hitch-mounted spare carrier in his Sub topic, IIRC. I'll go look for it.

eta eh his pics were all on Photobucket and are now gone / removed.

I'm slowly working on getting all the pics hosted somewhere else. Rayra, where did you end up putting yours?

I'm currently evaluating postimages.org and it seems pretty easy to use.

OP, here is a pic of my Wilco Hitchgate. I like the convenience of being able to remove it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I'm slowly working on getting all the pics hosted somewhere else.

I'm currently evaluating postimages.org and it seems pretty easy to use.

Jelorian it appears that Photobucket has released the hostage photograph links. I just checked my build thread - which I had kinda just left alone since all the photos were broken - and discovered all the photos are back. The difference is that Photobucket puts a watermark on them indicating they are hosting the photo. Not a real big deal to me, I surely did not feel like going back over 20 some pages of postings I have done on this site ( not to mention other forums) and fixing the issue. I guess patience and refusing to pay the ransom worked in the long run.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I wound up adding a personal domain / directory to a discussion forum I inherited and admin, I set up an image-hosting subdirectory and put it all in there. Easier to pay half (~$70/yr) the annual unlimited bandwidth fees of the forum than deal with another image hosting fiasco. Took forever for me to repopulate topics across several hobby / interest forums.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Jelorian it appears that Photobucket has released the hostage photograph links. I just checked my build thread - which I had kinda just left alone since all the photos were broken - and discovered all the photos are back. The difference is that Photobucket puts a watermark on them indicating they are hosting the photo. Not a real big deal to me, I surely did not feel like going back over 20 some pages of postings I have done on this site ( not to mention other forums) and fixing the issue. I guess patience and refusing to pay the ransom worked in the long run.

OP, don't mean to go off topic but just wanted to reply to 02TahoeMD and Rayra.

02TahoeMD, I was so pissed when Photobucket pulled their shennanigans that I went and deleted every album and pic I had on there. In hindsight maybe I should have left them as now I'm using a different image host and going through my old postings. It will take awhile, but I'm sure I don't have nearly as much content to update as you. Hehe.

Jelorian

Adventurer
I wound up adding a personal domain / directory to a discussion forum I inherited and admin, I set up an image-hosting subdirectory and put it all in there. Easier to pay half (~$70/yr) the annual unlimited bandwidth fees of the forum than deal with another image hosting fiasco. Took forever for me to repopulate topics across several hobby / interest forums.

Rayra, I have decided to use postimages.org and it seems to be pretty good. Easy to use, drag and drop if you are super lazy and it generates all the links for you like photobucket used to do. I also have other hobby/interest forums that I have posted pics on, but as I am not as interested I will just leave them for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998