2003 Mitsubushi FG Overland Camper Renovation

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Since the roof hasn't needed any protection visiting 40+ countries, why now? Don't forget that one has to get up on the cabin roof by stepping up first onto the cab roof and then crawling onto the cabin roof. There is no rear ladder. Any raised obstruction on the front of the cabin roof will hinder getting on top.

Getting to the top is already there, you just don't see it...

Access is over the driver door...

From there getting over the shield will be simple, even from someone as old as Ken...

GR8ADV

Explorer
Since the roof hasn't needed any protection visiting 40+ countries, why now? .
Why? Well if you look at the pictures of the roof that Paul posted you can see some of the left over branches from the dead tree limbs at the base of Mt. Shasta. I removed the big ones trapped under the panels.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Can I suggest that if you do add "ramps" to the front and sides of your panels that you slot or louver them to allow for airflow underneath.
If you don't do this then you might encounter overheating issues with the panels on hot days.

garybo

Adventurer
For those overhanging branches, the non-driver could also crouch on the cab roof with gloves, goggles and serious branch cutters...why are you laughing?! Think of all the help you're giving the Forest Service, just remember to throw the cutters into the brush when you see a green truck approaching.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1100925.JPG

(above) Spread out the wood, select for appearance and let it air out...

P1100926.JPG

(above) What good fir looks like...

P1100927.jpg

(above) Hammered aluminum, bordered...

P1100928.JPG

(above) Lots of thinking, lots of cutting, lots of sanding...

P1100929.jpg

(above) The ceiling curve didn't require a lot of extra attention...

P1100930.JPG

(above) Wiped with thinner...
I like it...

southpier

Expedition Leader
how about VOCs? in an enclosed space with, i assume, some type of heater cranking, will there be any nasal or eye irritation?

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1100931.JPG

(above) The fiberglass cloth that is wide enough for the shower panels arrived... The wood was sanded, starting with 40 grit, progressed to 80, then 120... Took a few hours... Next, the shop was cleaned out, sawhorses set up and the final prep for glassing was done...

P1100932.JPG

(above) Twelve ounces of resin per panel...

P1100933.JPG

(above) With the shop heater turned up, the resin got hard within an hour... I had to go to town to get more materials and look at fabric for the cushions...

P1100934.JPG

(above) Then it was back to the shop for another coat of epoxy, this time applied with a foam roller...Next, a second coat of roll-on epoxy was applied... The hot shop makes a huge difference in cure time and the quality of the epoxy job...

P1100935.JPG

(above) Really glad to get all this done in a day... The panels will cure over the weekend and be installed early next week...

Onward...

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Paul,

Just not clear to me... Are you glassing the back of the panel and rolling epoxy on the front? Or glassing on both sides? Is this the same way you do your boards too?

Regards John

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
... Are you glassing the back of the panel and rolling epoxy on the front? Or glassing on both sides? Is this the same way you do your boards too?

Both sides are glassed, the same as the surfboards...
The face side gets extra fine sanding and additional epoxy layers for both appearance and durability...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12