2003 xplorer diesel dodge 4x4

Gifu

Observer
aside from the Earthroamers... these are some of the best built class C RV. They only made them for a short time; about 5 years. The fit and finish is a step above most others on the road; and the price tag reflects it.

I just bought a 2WD version because after 6 months of looking I couldn't find a 4WD. My plan was (still is I guess.. though of course Murphy's Law has to taunt me with this since I'm in NY at the moment literally driving my Xplorer back to CA) to convert mine to 4WD and 6-speed. This ones has more overhang than mine, oddly. Mine is also a 22' version but has a longer wheelbase.
The bathrrom and shower are surpisingly spacious. The cab over bed too (I'm 6'5). The Onan gennie is pretty loud, but you only need it if you feel like running the AC (or, roll-eyes, the microwave).
anyway, pretty good deal for someone.

864x4rv

Observer
Tha Scotty.jpgt looks like a good deal. There is a gasser out here in california for $39K and its not nearly as nice. I would think about it but I have my scotty and very happy with it.

Gifu

Observer
nice Scotty; I ran across those looking for a diesel powered class c.
Did you put taller springs on that? Looks tall. I like it.

864x4rv

Observer
5" spring lift in rear and 3" spacer with heavy duty torsion arms in the front. Bilteins all the way around with alco 17" wheels. Love the cummins 12V. Currently getting it hotrodded with exhaust, fuel plate and guages. Get about 15 mpg as is and hope to increase mileage

Gifu

Observer
what/where did you get the rear springs? Custom made or??

Have you done the heavy duty steering linkage, steering brace, and 3rd gen panhard bar retrofit? Made a huge difference on mine as far as handling.

864x4rv

Observer
custom springs. handles great as is so no heavy duty steering linkage, or other updates. The engine modifications are done. Went from 160 stock hp to 320 hp. Cannot wait to pick up this coming friday

Gifu

Observer
Can you point me in the direction of the folks who did your spring work? I want to do the same thing to my Xplorer.

Regarding the steering: pre Gen III ram use a Panhard bar with a tie rod end on one side. It is under built. And the steering dropped pitman puts a ton of pressure on the sector. This company makes kits to solve both problems:
http://www.solidsteel.biz
File it away for later when your truck's handling deteriorates. I did both on my long bed 2500 and they worked great.

Gifu

Observer
Cool.
One last thing about yours that you probably know: the killer dowel pin. If you haven't heard of it, just google it. It's a huge pita to take care of but not has to be done.

864x4rv

Observer
Was just done along with all the other mods I discussed above. Also replaced the manifold witha three piece to allow for heat expansion. The coolant hoses upgraded to silicon and new fan clutch. Looking forward to driving it this friday after the "upgrades'.

Gifu

Observer
Also, who is doing the engine mods?
My 24 valve can be tweeted with a black box, but if the VP45 injection pump gives me trouble I might be looking for a place to do a P-Pump conversion.

864x4rv

Observer
Gifu, where are you located? Steve from Diesel System Services in El Cajon, CA did all the work himself. He is a great guy to work with. Very knowledgeable with cummins. Give him a call if you are in SoCal 619 733-1108.

Gifu

Observer
I live in Menlo Park, CA. Though currently on the road on the east coast in my Xplorer.
I'll give Steve a call when I'm ready. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger