2004 AWD Chevy Express 1500 - First Van!

BigC

Observer
I've seen lots of Manitoba cargo vans sprayed with foam, and a buddy of mine here in Calgary bought a new 2013 and had it sprayed. It works very well as a noise and heat insulation.

I have not seen a downside to doing it. Yet.

Good to know, i thought about going the spray route, and just getting the whole interior professionally done, but decided it would be easier to do it myself with reflectix and then maybe just foam in the areas you cant get that stuff. But It's good information knowing that other people are using foam all the way around.

BigC

Observer
FYI if you get it sprayed-- OP is talking foam in a can, not the same-- make sure you read all instructions. The substrate must be warmed so that the chemicals don't cool when applied. If they cool, they will shrink from the substrate, creating pockets for convective loops to occur, creating moisture trapped. This is unlikely a problem in most newer vehicles as they are freshly painted. Heavily scratched vehicles should be prepped and primed well. Not to mention off-gassing. I wonder about using the soy-based spray insulations, like Polyseal out of Palmer Area.

Yeah, that's one of the things that has me concerned about using just foam in a can, but I've got a fair bit of experience using it in some construction projects in the past. I've been doing a bit of painting in the van lately, and with the cool temps in the morning I've been using an electric heater and the van's own heat system to keep it at a comfy 70-80 degrees inside the van, and keeping most of the surfaces around the same temp. Worked well for paint application, hopefully I can duplicate with the foam. Good to see someone else from AK!

BigC

Observer
Update: Insulation

Well, the insulation is mostly done. It's been a bit slow the past could of days as I've been finishing up with the rust repairs on the floor as well, but just put in the last main piece of Refelctix. Went through quite a bit of the stuff getting it here.

IMG_4785.jpgIMG_4783.jpgIMG_4780.jpg

I did a double layer of Reflectix on the walls and ceiling and the wheel wells, and then just a single layer on the floor as the drop in mat I'm using has its own layer of insulation/cushion beneath it. From here I'm going to use spray foam to fill in the gaps that I can't get to with solid material, and then to cover it all I'm going to use 1/4" sheets of sanded plywood, possible covered in felt. I'll start with just the wood though and see how I like it. d

Next up I'm going to start working on the bed/storage area. It's going to be an elevated platform, about 24" off the floor. It will have walls beneath it right next to the wheel wells, and those gaps will be sectioned off as storage area to be accessed from the top. Then the main 43" of space between the wheel wells will be taken up by two rolling drawers that will be accessed through the back of the van. These will extend probably two thirds of the way under the bed. The one third of that space towards the front will just be open storage to be accessed through a swing door in the interior of the van. Now the real building begins!!

BigC

Observer
let us know how that goes. I am thinking reflectix then foam then carpet covered wood

I'll definitely keep you in the loop. I won't be foaming over everything, just the corners and the pillars on the walls. I will also be doing wood paneling with perhaps felt on it, or just the wood if I like the look.

BigC

Observer
Update: Bed Frame

Alright! Just finding the time to throw a post together. It was a hectic weekend! Working on the van, camping out Saturday night at a local Oktoberfest, and getting ready to head back to work Sunday, followed by a long day Monday, but here I am! Unfortunately "here" is about 900 miles away from the van :( So no building will be taking place for the next three weeks. I will be ordering most, if not all of the parts I need to finish the build though, and going at it hot and heavy as soon as I get back!

So, over Saturday and Sunday I managed to get my bed platform built, heres a pic of it as it sits now.

Photo Sep 27, 1 26 43 PM.jpg

I started building it by attempting to just attach the 2x4 runners to the pillars with self tappers, and quickly realized that would be very difficult - nigh on impossible to do securely so I switched tracks and started building it like a four poster, one 2x4 on each corner. Much more solid this way, and easier to build as well. I went ahead and left the 2x4 on this side long to tie into the kitchen.

Photo Sep 26, 2 51 23 PM.jpg

From there I used angle brackets to attach the 2x4's to both sides. I ran them flat to sacrifice strength for storage space beneath.

Photo Sep 26, 5 16 20 PM.jpg

From there I cut out my main center piece of plywood (3/4" sanded) to fill the main space, and then cut the side pieces to fit. I attached them with piano hinges, they'll serve as storage access to get into the side compartments once it all gets framed off around the wheel well.

Photo Sep 27, 1 24 56 PM.jpg

Overall dimensions of the platform are about 55"x71" and the base of the 2x4 supports is about 21" off of the rubber mat in the van. It sits a little bit high, and I'm thinking about lowering it, but not sure yet. I'm wanting to order a custom mattress for it, anybody have any good recommendations or advice?

Attachments

• Photo Sep 27, 1 25 26 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 27, 1 25 26 PM.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 20

ArcticBus

Observer
I'm going futon / air matress route. Man nice van for sure. So you are going to foam panel it after the platform is done ? hope you dont mind me stealing ideas

ArcticBus

Observer
I know alot of people hate expanding foam, but my work van is 7 years old (79,000 miles Chevy 3500) with expanding foam insulation on the walls and ceiling here in alaska and I don't hear sqweeks or noise from it , Lowes sells a 2 part expanding foam kit for spraying beams and duct work I might try

CherryBomb

Nice work BigC. I just bought an 06' up in Oregon (i'm in eastern , CA) 52,000 miles, super clean and empty. I'm getting into the build out as well, so good to see your's in progress. i 've been researching insulation options as well, I read that there could be electrolysis issues between the aluminum and the steel of the van, but sounds questionable to me since its just a thin aluminum layer surrounding the bubble. Never heard of my friends having that problem but I doubt anyone really looks either. I'm going to try foil backed jute, available from home depot online, as I'm 200 miles from the closest HD or Lowes. I guess the foil will face the interior of the van. Also considering a vent from 'fantastic' vents online, check it out if interested.

As for a custom mattress. I checked with a whitewater company that makes these bomber pads (paco pad) for extended river trips, they are quite expensive so I am foregoing that idea $500+ for a custom. Look into bouldering pads (for rock climbers), I think a company 'Organic' will make custom sizes, there are several made stock that are 4' x 6', otherwise a futon is a good choice, I personally just want to keep the weight down as much as possible so I'm going bouldering pad route (i'm also a climber so I already have one but will probably get a designated one for bed).

Keep the pics coming, I love the ideas!

BigC

Observer
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys! Love getting input on the build.

Articbus, good to hear you've got foam in your van and it does well. I'm guying to be using foam to fill the cracks and gaps for more insulation. What part of Alaska are you in? I'm building out of and living out of Anchorage right now.

CherryBomb, I actually just ordered a custom mattress from them yesterday! Getting it built to just an inch larger than the dimensions of the bed (I reason overlap on the wall is better than an annoying crack,) and four inches thick. I'll be curious to see how it works in there. I have no doubt it will be comfortable enough, I'm just hoping its not too firm to make opening the under bed storage a pain. I do like your idea of using a crash pad as a mattress, but, I'm thinking it might not have enough support to sleep on comfortably?? I'm not a big boulder though, so I have little experience with them. It would be slick though for those extra scary routes. Just pull out your mattress and use it as some extra pro!! That's a hell of a score, an 06' with only 50,000 miles, congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing your build, point me in the direction of your thread once you start it.

Ordered a bunch of goodies over the last week, gonna have a lot do with em all once I get back into town. Got a new stereo coming in, ordered the propane heater and the roof fan/vent, and my battery/inverter/doitall for the solar setup. Went with a Maxxair Maxfan. I love the fact it works in the rain, and it looks like a pretty pimpin unit! For a heater I got a MrHeater Big Buddy. Love the fact I can run it off of both 1lb bottles and up to 40 lb bottles! And then I ordered a GoalZero Yeti 400. I'm not gonna do solar this winter, I'll wait till next summer for that, but this unit allows lots of expansion, while also being able to hook straight up into the van battery. Should make for a slick setup.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty excited to get home and get my hands on all these goodies!

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks for all the details. I'm looking at a 2005 AWD Astro too, bare bones for me. Similar needs to you, keeping it simple. How are you going to make a kitchen?

BigC

Observer
Thanks for all the details. I'm looking at a 2005 AWD Astro too, bare bones for me. Similar needs to you, keeping it simple. How are you going to make a kitchen?

Hey Sleam, thanks for reading! When I say kitchen, I mean it in the barest way. If you look at the pictures up above you can see where the 2x4 extends towards the front of the van on the drivers side. I'll tie another 2x4 into that and then at the same level as the bed build out a cabinet frame about two feet or so, maybe less. Ill inset into the counter top a two burner stove, and a small sink, probably just a large bowl of sorts, that drains into a grey water jug directly beneath it. Next to the grey water jug will be a clean water jug with a hand pump spigot exiting up and out next to the sink. And then I'll try to leave enough counter space to make food on. Nothing big, just enough room to chop vegetables and put a mixing bowl down. Above this whole assembly I'll build out some cabinets/shelves to hold food and such.

ArcticBus

Observer
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys! Love getting input on the build.

Articbus, good to hear you've got foam in your van and it does well. I'm guying to be using foam to fill the cracks and gaps for more insulation. What part of Alaska are you in? I'm building out of and living out of Anchorage right now.

In Wasilla. I called the 2 places that spray our work vans, $1200- $1600 to do my van. So I'm going with reflectix and maybe foil backed foam, maybe blue board. Not sure it definatly puts a wrinkle in my plans. I might get that Dow spray kit for $180 from Lowe's and shoot mine myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998