2004 Discovery II - 3 Amigos on - New Purchase Advice

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Hello,

So it looks like I've finally found a vehicle, I intend to pick it up monday.

Took it for a drive today, runs great, only 103K on the clock. (2004, Discovery II SE)

Only issues:
• 3 Amigos
Apparently no lights were on, and the owner (nice old man, vehicle was a daily driver for his daughter) replaced the battery, and then the lights were on. He called the dealer, and they told him they should go off within 100 miles, but they haven't yet.

Any tips on this? Just best to take it into the dealer for diagnostic?

• Daughter lost keys, so the Ignition uses a different key than the doors. However, they've lost the keys for the doors, so you can only use keyless, and pray your battery doesn't die.

Advice on rekeying?

• Lastly driver's side window doesn't roll down. When pressing the control button you can't hear anything (motors, relays etc)

Is this a common issue? what's the most likely culprit? recommendations for troubleshooting?

Vehicle otherwise is in great shape. Under the hood looks brand new. Rear seat never sat in, cargo area super clean. Small dent on passenger side door. SE Model no sunroofs, no 3rd Row 103K on the odometer, $5,000.

I intend to make this my Daily Driver, but completely outfitted for Overland travel/weekend bugout vehicle.

I'm really excited, and would love some input from current rover owners.

Thanks!!

Richie

LtFuzz

Explorer
• Daughter lost keys, so the Ignition uses a different key than the doors. However, they've lost the keys for the doors, so you can only use keyless, and pray your battery doesn't die.

Advice on rekeying?

Was the ignition barrel swapped out? Why didn't they just call the dealership and get the key code to have new keys made?

Everything else is totally normal Rover stuff

also, post pics

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Believe the ignition barrel was swapped out by a lock smith, not through rover, unfortunately.

Wasn't sure if it'd be better to try and order a new ignition based on the VIN... or just rekey the entire rig... (of course it's not in my driveway yet... this is all preliminary, planning)

One thing I was wondering about was the center diff lock... I've read mixed information on the 2004 having center diff lock...

The 4 lo / 4 hi selector, says " DIFF at the top, LOCK at the bottom... There is no manual so I couldn't investigate further.

What's the process for engaging center diff locking? or is it part of the traction control system?

A few pictures in all it's [current] glory.

34873709.jpg34873686.jpg34873637.jpg34873586.jpg

LtFuzz

Explorer
Believe the ignition barrel was swapped out by a lock smith, not through rover, unfortunately.

Wasn't sure if it'd be better to try and order a new ignition based on the VIN... or just rekey the entire rig... (of course it's not in my driveway yet... this is all preliminary, planning)

One thing I was wondering about was the center diff lock... I've read mixed information on the 2004 having center diff lock...

The 4 lo / 4 hi selector, says " DIFF at the top, LOCK at the bottom... There is no manual so I couldn't investigate further.

What's the process for engaging center diff locking? or is it part of the traction control system?

A few pictures in all it's [current] glory.

View attachment 121233View attachment 121234View attachment 121235View attachment 121236

2004s definitely have a diff lock aka CDL. The TC and CDL are not related -- TC is a computerized system that modulates power to each wheel while the CDL is a mechanical system that ensures both front and rear propshafts receive equal power. To activate it, simply push the lever to the leftmost position. It can be used independently or in conjunction with 4lo/4hi. If it hasn't been used in a while it might be very sticky. Even with use they can be a bit finicky -- sometimes it helps to be rolling forward a little big to get it to engage.

That key thing sounds like it'll turn into a pain in the butt. You might want to consider re-keying the entire rig. If it were me, I'd use that as a significant bargaining chip because that won't be cheap.

Last edited:

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Thanks for the info... pushing the lever over to the left makes sense, (since it says diff lock on that side) :D

They key thing definitely is an inconvenience. They've received quotes of $130 to get new keys made for the doors. Which would mean, a key for the ignition, then a separate key for the rest.

--------------

What about scheduled maintenance? What should have been done by 103,000 miles? Timing Belt, Trans flush, etc. etc. I couldn't find any maintenance records, a manual or anything. I'm guessing most maintenance records will be with the dealer, they only had it serviced from Land rover of Centerville, and a dealership in Phoenix.

Can the timing belt be accessed easily (for inspection?) What would be a tell-tale sign of it being replaced, or not?

Thanks for putting up with the questions, I'm just excited to finally be getting something my entire family can fit in. :D

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Also, is there a quick and easy way to shut off all of the warning lights? to see which ones come back on? Is there any OBDII port reader that can access the rest of the Rover codes? ABS etc.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
A little bit of research on my part... No timing belt :D timing chain... good news... (at least I'm racking up a post count).

many apologies.

Daryl

Adventurer
Also, is there a quick and easy way to shut off all of the warning lights? to see which ones come back on? Is there any OBDII port reader that can access the rest of the Rover codes? ABS etc.

No. You need a specific scanner for the ABS on a Disco.

And it's possibly a multi-thousand dollar repair.

That plus the keys makes $5k a pretty terrible deal. I wouldn't touch this thing (at that price) without knowing exactly what is wrong with it, and that starts with a pre purchase inspection by a qualified rover mechanic.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
:( hope my lack of due diligence doesn't bite me.

Vehicle is sitting in my driveway.

-----------

On another note I'm excited to finally have a vehicle that will fit the family. Dogs have been left behind for too long.

Going to take her to Great Basin rovers this week, assuming they have availability.

Key thing is simple for me. New key for the doors. Carry two keys. Rarely use a door key, but have one for battery failures.

Cheers,

Richie

LtFuzz

Explorer
:( hope my lack of due diligence doesn't bite me.

Vehicle is sitting in my driveway.

-----------

On another note I'm excited to finally have a vehicle that will fit the family. Dogs have been left behind for too long.

Going to take her to Great Basin rovers this week, assuming they have availability.

Key thing is simple for me. New key for the doors. Carry two keys. Rarely use a door key, but have one for battery failures.

Cheers,

Richie

Don't worry about it -- the 3 Amigos are very common. Many people drive thousands of miles with no problem with the 3 Amigos lit. In fact you'll find quite a few 4x4ers that intentionally disable the ABS system because in many cases on the trail you stop more assuredly with 4 wheels locked than chattering away on ABS. On my first Rover, a '96 D1, I pulled the ABS fuses because I hated the way the truck braked on gravel w/ABS.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't look further and get a diagnoses, only that you're dealing with a routine issue.

brushogger

Explorer
Advice:
1. Until the key issue is resolved, NEVER super lock it.
2. Get on Discoweb.org and see if anyone local has an ABS Amigo. You can troubleshoot the ABS system with a laptop using it. ANY brake noise or squeal can cause the amigos. If you have any, try doing a brake job first. Noisy wheel bearings can also cause them.
3. Pray it doesn't commit suicide and break your heart like mine did. If the cylinder liners start slipping its $4-5k to fix it right.
4. Get the maintenance records from the dealer and verify everything up to snuff ASAP. Rovers won't tolerate deferred maintenance.
5. Track down and fix any small leaks before they grow. Especially coolant. If head gaskets haven't been done yet, plan on it soon. It's not that bad a job and a great way to learn your way around the engine. PT Schram on Dweb is a great place to get the parts from and he is a Rover guru.
6. Enjoy this beautiful, wonderful machine that is unlike anything else on the road (or off road)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4x4doors

Explorer
On the keys, check the cost before you dismiss it. We had all the locks changed on a car a while back following a stolen purse incident. It really wasn't a lot more to have an additional lock done while rekeying the others at the same time.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for your responses...

Got off the phone with Great Basin, Wow!! What a nice guy! very refreshing... They don't charge to scan, and he said 90% of the time it's either the Shuttle Pack Switch, or the Passenger Front Wheel Speed Sensor.

When they do a Shuttle Pack repair, they even do the wiring modification to help ensure the same common fault doesn't happen in the future.

I hope to bring it in here shortly, and I'll report back.

Regarding the Keys, I guess I'll call and get a quote from the local lock smith.

What are options for Key FOBs on Rovers? do you have to get the integrated Key with remote? or are there other options? Since the ignition was reykeyed, the PO just removed the key from the remote. I'd like to have a second remote.

===========

Then it's time for a modest lift, bigger tires, sliders, and bumpers :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78