2004 Discovery II - 3 Amigos on - New Purchase Advice

Daryl

Adventurer
Don't worry about it -- the 3 Amigos are very common. Many people drive thousands of miles with no problem with the 3 Amigos lit. In fact you'll find quite a few 4x4ers that intentionally disable the ABS system because in many cases on the trail you stop more assuredly with 4 wheels locked than chattering away on ABS. On my first Rover, a '96 D1, I pulled the ABS fuses because I hated the way the truck braked on gravel w/ABS.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't look further and get a diagnoses, only that you're dealing with a routine issue.

On your D1 the ABS was pathetic and probably needed to be disconnected off road (I do the same on my '98), but on his 2004 it's pretty useful. With the 3 Amigos on he's lost not only the party trick (hill descent control) but traction control as well. It's something that should be dealt with, and can indicate anything from a shuttle valve failure to a bad hub.

Some Dude

Adventurer
Don't sweat it. Bill and Shawn will take great care of you. You do want to get the ABS module fixed since the traction control on the D2 is anything but BS. It's most likely the shuttle valve failure which shouldn't be a big deal.

Welcome to the club.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Made it in to Great Basin today... What an awesome business... He ran out hooked up the scan tool, pulled the codes: Right Front ABS Sensor, Left Front ABS Sensor, and Shuttle Valve. He figured it was probably driven for a while with the lights on, and that likely all three hadn't failed.

I drove around the block and the vehicle started shuttering, and stopping, shuttering and stopping so I pulled back in to Great Basin, told him what was happening, he jumped in and took it for a spin. Same deal... Then the Amigos manifest, and truck starts operating as normal. He pulled into the shop, pulled the codes again this time only the Front Left Sensor.

I tried to get him to let me pay, but he wouldn't let me.

On my way home I stopped by the Rover dealer, bought a sensor, and hope to install it using the RAVE manual, and then go back to see if it did the trick.

They're super busy, or I'd have them do it, figured I'd get a head start do one side, see if it takes, if it doesn't I'll try the other side, if the Shuttle Valve still comes on, I'll have them make the repair.

Regardless I'll be ordering my suspension from them.

I also stopped by another Rover Repair / Dealer in Bountiful... they were parting out a D2. I asked about getting the Shuttle Valve off it (used) they wanted over $900! To get mine rebuilt from Great Basin was substantially cheaper, so I definitely want to go that route. There were some other parts off the truck that I inquired about... but they were definitely charging a premium even though it was from a totalled vehicle. $60 for a Center Console Lid, $180 for a Window Regulator.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I can do better at a pick and pull.

Thanks everyone... I'm still stressin' but atleast I have direction. :D

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Totally...

I actually found a D2 for parts that I may buy today... Then I could rebuild the Shuttle Valve on it, and be ready. Plus any number of components as backup.

The driver's window wasn't working on the disco either, I managed to track down the culprit... Olive/Blue wire that went from the Harness (next to the hood popper) through the door to the motor was open. Since it was all taped up I couldn't find where it had an open so I just replaced the wire, leaving the old one in tact. Voilla.

Also had an issue with the driver's door opening, it took a Big Tug to open, way more force than the other doors... Found the culprit for that as well. The linkage is adjustable and they had it too high on the clip... I lowered it, and now it opens with ease, like all of the other doors...

Of course when I shut the door the first time for testing The door would no longer open... at all... not the inside handle, the outside handle etc. :( After an hour of fiddling, and being frustrated I found what I had done... a clip had gotten in the way which didn't allow the latch to fully release. unclipped the linkage, moved the clip back in business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78