2004 Discovery: S vs SE

clalor

Observer
I found this place a few days ago while searching for info on Unimog expedition campers and I have to say that I'm quite impressed. :Wow1: I've pretty much spent all of my spare time here since Thursday evening. While there still might be a Unimog somewhere in my future, it's probably 5-10 years away at the earliest. I don't want to wait that long before heading out for some fun, so I've started looking at buying a used Discovery, most likely a 2004 model based on what I've been reading.

Based on what I'm seeing locally (Salt Lake City), the SE/SE-7 models appear to be the most popular, but I found one S model for sale. Since I like simplicity and don't care so much for gadgets in my vehicles, the S is appealing, plus it already comes with the 16" wheels. I've spent some time searching and was able to find one post on the Land Rover Forums that listed the main differences between the two models coming down to the S lacking dual moon roofs, air suspension, jump seats, and real leather seats, none of which I care much about. Can anyone verify this being correct for the 2004 model year? Other than those differences, are there any other major differences between the models that I should be aware of?

This will be my first off road vehicle. It will take over as my commuter during the winter when the weather is bad, but otherwise will be strictly a recreational vehicle and will be my off road and expedition training vehicle. While I might be safer going with something other than a Land Rover, I'm mechanically inclined and I have some good local resources (Great Basin Rovers, and a buddy who owned a modified 2004 SE-7), so I feel pretty comfortable going the Disco route. Famous last words? Maybe. :D

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You're in luck, I just bought a 2004 brochure on Ebay. Just for fun. The postman destroyed it, but that's another matter.

Anyway, from the brochure, the S is missing:

- Leather
- Front armrests (these are actually nice to have)
- Burled Wood and Alcantera door trim. I don't have any wood on my SE, don't know what's up with that one. The Alcantera is nice but, pfft!
- Cheaper stereo. The upgraded one sucks anyway.
- Front fog lights. These are actually good lights but... pfft!
- Sunroofs optional
- Headlight Washers
- Loadspace cover optional
- Hitch optional
- SLS optional
- Park Distance Control optional

This must be a Californian brochure or something, because it makes no mention of heated seats and windshield. Love my seats, could live without the windshield. It's nice, but I find the little wires in the glass create glare at night.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Rob. That's very helpful.

Now what about the option that replaces airbags
with coil springs in the rear suspension? Is that
available for the S, or just the SE?

I found this description of the optional Trail Packages
online. None of these talk about the springs.

TRAIL I PKG -inc: satin black "A"-frame brush bar, Land Rover driving lamps w/vinyl covers, rear access ladder, rear upper lamp guards, Land Rover "Trail" badge (PIO)

TRAIL II PKG -inc: wraparound brush bar, Land Rover driving lamps w/vinyl covers, rear access ladder, rear upper lamp guards, Land Rover "Trail" badge (PIO)

TRAIL III PKG -inc: satin black "A"-frame brush bar, Land Rover driving lamps w/vinyl covers, black rubber running boards, Land Rover "Trail" badge (PIO)

TRAIL IV PKG -inc: stainless steel "A"-frame brush bar, Land Rover driving lamps w/vinyl covers, stainless steel running boards, Land Rover "Trail" badge (PIO)

Chip Haven

clalor

Observer
Awesome, thanks for the info Rob.

Of all the features/options, it's the sunroofs that I'm most afraid of. Maybe they got it right on this one, but chances are high that I'll end up with a roof rack and tent as one of my first mods anyway. I'll lose some options for ventilation, but I can deal with that if I've reduced my risk of having the sunroof seals and/or drains failing in the future.

The mileage (54k miles) is reasonable on the on this Discovery and the pictures seem to indicate that it's in pretty good condition. I'm going to take advantage of the dealer being closed today and go up and check it out. There's a discrepancy between their price and both the high KBB and NADA retail price, so I need to make sure I know what's what before I walk into the dealer when they are open.

Christian

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Buy a 99 D1 with no sunroofs and save yourself a world of headaches. Take the money you save from buying a 5 year older car and make it into a true pinnacle vehicle.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I never said better...

Just save some headaches...

A 99 SD is simpler, mechanically and electronically yet maintains the comfort of a Land Rover.

2511775869_d8754d59c2_b.jpg

2880647071_21c22ffcc5_o.jpg

2885583761_43114562c5_o.jpg

2885587917_006a8fd7bf_o.jpg

229761178_e4efad1f2e_o.jpg

Of all those breakdowns only the RRC, D2 and D90 needed to be towed and it could be said that the D90 had to be towed because it overheated its tranny towing the D2.

Trucks break down, sometimes at the worst possible place. That's a fact not an opinion.

The more simple they are to get going again, the better in my book. That's an opinion, not a fact.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Exactly, very few people have *actually* been stranded because of D2 electrical problems. I believe they are better engineered than the older trucks, mechanically. I don't have enough experience with LR's to say that as a fact, but just my faith based on having worked in the industry and seeing things.

I guess my point is, there really is NOT sufficient evidence one way or the other to say that one is better than the other. The buyer should make the decision based on what they prefer. We're not talking Discovery vs. Freelander here, where the choice is clear cut.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Sinuhe,

So long as I've known you (3 years) I believe that every time you have gone on an off road trip one of the vehicles you were traveling with broke down to the point where you had to stop progress and fix the vehicle or abandoned it to proceed, is that a fair statement?

That is a fair statement. Although the bachelor party trip that you missed we didn't have a single failure. Actually we made it through Rovers Roost fairly unscathed until we hit pavement as well.

And I just sold the one truck in those three years that never contributed to any of those headaches. As I gave the keys away yesterday, I asked myself what I was doing...

Ho has been stranded from D2 electrical problems. When Ho was speaking with a LR master tech about the code that was thrown and the symptoms, the master tech had to ask, "Did you drive through any mud or water?"

Seriously, when you need to ask that question on a Land Rover there is a problem.

And in all reality if we truly wanted something reliable we would all get a Toyota...

clalor

Observer
Sinuhe, those slideshows were incredible. They pretty much sum up why I want this thing. The cooking shelf on the back door of the one Discovery is extremely cool. I'm going to have to steal that idea. On the electrical failure you mentioned, do you recall any detail about it?

I think if I were more committed to building up a Discovery, then I'd definitely choose a D1 and most likely an OBD-I model with thoughts of an engine swap somewhere in the future. However, I'm not exactly sure where I want to go with all of this, so I'm really just looking at this Disco as an "introductory" vehicle for now while I build my skills and figure out what I like and what I want to do while, hopefully, not having to do too much in the way of unexpected maintenance to it in the meanwhile. That's mainly why I'm looking at a newer model. Time will tell if that was a good decision or not. In a few years, maybe I'll have the funds for a D110 or a long wheelbase Series, which is what I really want. Maybe I'll love the Disco and want to keep it. Maybe I'll end up with a technically competent vehicle that's reliable, but oh so boring. Wait, I can't see that last thing happening. :D I found out recently that my dad owned a Triumph Spitfire while my mom was pregnant with me. I might be genetically predisposed to owning cars with "charm".

The Disco I'm looking at appears to have been very well cared for and probably never driven off the road. I think now it's only a question of a test drive, agreeing on a price, and whether or not they have the maintenance records.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Christian

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I bought a truck with no maintenance records, and no mechanic checkup. Threw caution to the wind I guess. I haven't regretted it. It drove well, didn't make any funny noises, looked clean and reasonably well cared for.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Sinuhe, those slideshows were incredible. They pretty much sum up why I want this thing. The cooking shelf on the back door of the one Discovery is extremely cool. I'm going to have to steal that idea. On the electrical failure you mentioned, do you recall any detail about it?

It was either the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft psostition sensor that got "wet or muddy"...

2885581655_2752c6e8f2_o.jpg

This banal situation should not get an impeccably maintained G4 into trouble.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
I'm running an '04 'S' Model Disco. In my opinion it's probably the best Land Rover that I could be in for the kinds of abuse that I put it through here in northern Nevada. I've just completed my 100th off-road trek in it and have NEVER had any kind of trail failure except for non-vehicle specific problems such as a ripped open tire, dinged wheels, etc...:

CD-04165.jpg

100_2584.jpg

100_3716.jpg

100_3625.jpg

Brian2.jpg

306-AiringDown.jpg

DSC03476.jpg

100_3561.jpg

100_3527.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads