2004 E-150 Conversion to 4WD

Hi.

I'm from oklahoma, amd I've got some questions regarding experience in converting the E-150's to 4WD. I've recently purchased a nicely kept 2004 E-150 8 passenger van. 5.4L, 4R75 transmission, Factory limited slip, 3.55, less than 87K, the super duty style mirrors, Factory towing package, etc.

I haul a boat in the summers. This van is my wife's DD, and will be the family hauler for camping trips. Ultimately, I thought I wanted a 100 series LC for our camping adventures, but 2 kids in car seats (with plans for a couple more) means a van makes more sense. My wife and I both grew up with ford vans, and I have feeling that going to a LC is going to be much harder than I realize after van camping for a few years with little ones.

After doing research on Expedition portal, it seems like everyone seems to use a E350 for a base to do a 4x4 conversion. I just don't need a 1 ton van right now. We aren't going to be building it into a camper van to sleep in, only a gear/kid hauler. I think our E-150 will be great for our family's needs for the next few years.

I guess My main question is, is it worth it in your experience to convert a E150 to 4WD. I'd only looking at a mild lift - 3-4" I've been looking at the Weld Tech 2WD lifts, and may add a locker to the rear at some point. but I want something that will let us do trails in Colorado, UT, The Ozarks in arkansas. Like it says in my sig, we have a basically stock '03 DC Tacoma. I know that a van isn't going to do the tight technical trails like the tacoma can - but it will get our family and camping gear to some pretty fun spots, and be more comfortable getting there for a family. 4WD means I can be easier on the van and the people inside since I wouldn't be as dependent on momentum, and low range will help in the mountains and hills going up and down.

Last edited:

poriggity

Explorer
I've seen 2wd lifted vans go a lot of places. That being said, if you have the money to do the conversion I would do it.. Only because of rather have 4wd and not need it than not have it and need it. If you do the 4x4 conversion, do yourself a favor and check out www.ujointoffroad.com

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

mikracer

Adventurer
If you have the funds to do a 4wd conversion, I would go with the conversion. I researched 4x4 conversions for my van for a year and then decided to go with a Camburg lift since it was 1/4 the cost of 4x4. 6 months later, my van is getting 4x4 installed and I'll be picking it up on Friday (lift kit is for sale :sombrero:). If you have the funds to do it, I would do it. It would probably be nice to have for launching your boat as well.

djbonsu

Adventurer
I agree with the others and say go for the 4x4 conversion of you have the funds. I'll echo porrigity and say check out UJOR. He offers a DIY kit that you can do at your own pace or as money allows. Or you can have a local shop do it for you if you can't send the van to him.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I would hesitate to sink the money required of a Ujor kit into an E150, for reasons you've already mentioned. Everybody is looking for 3/4 and 1-tons. The resale of your E-150 might not recoup your investment when you inevitably look to sell. If it were me and I was dead set on keeping the 150, I'd probably look at that mild 2wd lift, good tires, a locker, and a winch to save my behind when the desire to "make it" out weighs good sense. A minimal investment compared to the 4wd conversion.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
E150s can be done, 5.4 is good, what rear axle is in the van?

And thanks for the recommendations fellas!

I think it is Ford 5 lug 9.75 Axle. The Axle code on the door jam sticker is H9 (3.55 Limited Slip). The Shape of the diff cover appears to be the 9.75 judging from my internet research. The Transmission is not the 4R100 judging by the oil pan, - either a 4R70 or 4R75 (door jam transmission code is a 5, which I haven't found on any decoder)

KYC

Adventurer
I would hesitate to sink the money required of a Ujor kit into an E150, for reasons you've already mentioned. Everybody is looking for 3/4 and 1-tons. The resale of your E-150 might not recoup your investment when you inevitably look to sell. If it were me and I was dead set on keeping the 150, I'd probably look at that mild 2wd lift, good tires, a locker, and a winch to save my behind when the desire to "make it" out weighs good sense. A minimal investment compared to the 4wd conversion.

I agree with this, unless you have lots of disposable income.

4x4 will be definitely more convenient, but some recovery gear can go a long way.

The only way would be to sell the Tacoma - not sure I want to do that, especially if I was putting money into something that wouldn't be sought after should I decide to sell it later. But I just wanted to explore the option.

mikracer

Adventurer
If you go with a decent 2wd lift, you will be spending about $3k for the lift, then another $1500 for wheels and tires. If you want to go with a low cost way to make your van a little more capable, I would start out with front coil springs or a spacer lift and some 265's. I'm not sure if the E150's sit lower than the 250/350, but my brother did a spacer lift in the front and put 265's and it looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears