2004 Montero Limited vs 2003 XLS

Canadawest

Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster. I'm in the market for a 3.8l 2003+ Montero. I'm buying with the intention of making a family overlander, so it wont be my daily driver.

I'm going to be be looking at a 2004 Limited with 214,000 kilometers (~130ish miles) and a 2003 XLS with 149,000 kilometers. I've done my reading and know what to look for service and operation wise.

My main question is, what am I giving up with the XLS over the Limited? I know the limited has heated leather, auto climate control, and fog lights. Any other major things? The XLS I'm looking at has the ginormous sunroof, and with a fair bit lower mileage also has a lower asking price.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Mechanically, nothing. Just creature comforts. Probably a crappier stereo in addition to what you listed. No wood trim (bonus, in my mind).

I'm not shopping for another Gen3, but if i were, it would be an 03 XLS. :)

Canadawest

Thanks for the heads up, that's what I figured. The XLS was sold, so I'm off to have a good look at the '04 Limited tomorrow

plh

Explorer
I'm not familiar with the XLS package on the 3rd gen, does it have traction control on the '03?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
03+ should have traction control, but those should also all be limited versions with the 5-speed and electronic transfer case.

It also needs the 3.8L for traction control since the system uses throttle by wire inputs. XLS models were only 01-02 and did not have traction control during those years.

Canadawest

Well, the Limited was a bust, but theres another Limited and another XLS up for sale, so wish me luck. I've got the luxury of being a bit picky, so I'm gonna try to bring home a good one

SONICMASD

Adventurer
If they are the same mechanically: 5 speed, traction control,l 4.30 gears, and 3.8L then go with the one you like more personally. Some ppl love leather seats, i hate them. Xls had the mechanical climate control vs auto in the limited. Xls has a clock, limited has a computer screen with temp and remaining miles to empty. Heated seats in limited but you can always install aftermarket ones.

If none of those things matter much to you - go with the one with the best maintence record- probably always the most important determining on these super maintenance finky vehicles depending on how much $ and time you’re wanting to invest after purchase.

Lastly, couple small points: the leather seats get really hard and crack but the cloth ones wear out their padding near the shoulders. Be sure to sit in the seat and feel the back and bolsters to make sure they are still padded enough.

It’s easier and usually cheaper to find replacement xls interior bits, seats, etc because there are a lot of 01-02 xls out there in junkyards compared to limited i find and I think they all have the same interior color unlike the limited which has 2.

2003 did not have TPMS, 2004 did - TPMS is a royal pain on these cuz they can only be reset at the dealer.

Be sure to double check the rear diffs, if one of them has an LSD or 4.90 gears in addition to all that stuff at the top then get that one! I know, that doesnt exist, but 2004 was a transition year and Canada is a different market, and it wouldnt be out of the norm for Mitsu - anythings possible.

Last edited:

Canadawest

Thanks again, just bought a 2003 Limited with 204,000 kilometers (~127,000 miles). Time to do some maintenance (luckily the timg belt, water pump and tension wre all done 6000 kilometers ago), and go get it dirty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998