2004 suburban build

jonb8

Adventurer
I haven't got to work on the Suburban, it's state inspection time on a couple of the other cars in "The Fleet" My sons G6 needed rockers and since no one sells them I had to make them... Tired of rust.......

Overlandtowater

I do have a question on the built in sliders. The XJ is Uni-body do you think the sliders on the suburban will tweek the body mounts if you lay down on them? Also when you do this do you just cut the outer shell off the rocker and but the square tube up to the pinch weld...I'm asking as I have a 82 Toyota pickup I'm working on and the rockers are mostly gone but has good pinch weld, also cannot find body parts for the 82.

jonb8

Adventurer
On the xj's I leave the pinch weld and cut out the outer rocker.. i drill spot weld holes every inch on a piece of 1x1 angle iron and if you put it right at the bottom of the pinch weld and weld it on... The box tubing will slide right in and sit on the angle iron... I just stitch weld the box tubing to the angle... Then I drill holes in the footwell of the door jams and spot weld into the box tubing.. Then I stitch were the box hits the rocker and then seal that in... Hope that makes sense.. I can get some pics..

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Jon will the sliders be able to hold the weight of the vehicle if you use it as a lifting/jacking point? Cheers, Chilli...?

jonb8

Adventurer
No not the way I'm going to mount them.. They will just replace the rusted rockers and give some protection from scrubbing offroad.. Were not going to take the Suburban were we take the jeep. I did get out in the woods yesterday for some jeep healing.....

jonb8

Adventurer
I'll answer that when I get them mounted.. I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to support the rear of the tubing... I'm thinking about over killing it now, heck I only have to do it once Right?

wvracer821

Observer
I plan on a similar style rocker on my 2005 Silverado. I’m going to run some support to the frame which will be bushing mounted so it doesn’t tear the cab apart. The cab mounts are also poly so flex between the frame and cab should be similar. I’m interested to see the finished product of yours. As always, keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonb8

Adventurer
That's my concern about running kickers to the frame. It's easy with unibody's, it all moves and flex's together... Do you have a build thread yet?

wvracer821

Observer
That's my concern about running kickers to the frame. It's easy with unibody's, it all moves and flex's together... Do you have a build thread yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonb8

Adventurer
I've had a delima with the rear bumper on the Suburban, I don't think I can make a rear bumper that looks as good or functions better then the factory one.. Before I take the rear bumper off to do rust repair on the quarters I'm tacking up a tire carrier swing on the factory bumper to see if I can web it into the bumper and make it strong enough before I build a bumper from scratch.. after some mock up I think I can make it work.. Only time will tell though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998