2004 Suburban LT vs. 2000 Land Cruiser

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Superu,

Since you have expressed that the vast interior space of a (i.e.) full-size GM is not critical to the decision, then forget the warranty (one of most profitable insurance products around) and purchase the 1999 UZJ100. I think you will be very happy, we loved ours.

Superu

Explorer
Superu,

Since you have expressed that the vast interior space of a (i.e.) full-size GM is not critical to the decision, then forget the warranty (one of most profitable insurance products around) and purchase the 1999 UZJ100. I think you will be very happy, we loved ours.

Thanks Scott,

Just curious, why do you have an 80 now instead of your previous 100?

Thanks,
Bill

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've had my 80 since almost spanking new, and one of the most ridiculous financial decisions I've ever made. It is one of those vehicles I will likely never sell (read below). We had a 99 UZJ100 until this year but in its place is the FJ45 Troopy which was a rare opportunity to own. As for the Hundy, we wanted something with LATCH (yes I realize the Troopy didn't have it) which started in 2001

All that said, we are very seriously considering selling my beloved LC80 and replacing with another LC100; we'll see how that goes. If the slow velocity of money in the economy continues we may be able to afford an LC200 in 10-15 years ;) or so so we're in no rush.

One thing I would be remiss if I didn't state is that it is my belief that the pre-2000 LC100s are inferior to their LC80 and 2000+ LC100 brethren in ice. I'm only talking about a very rare situation high altitude narrow windy track with ice. The 1998-1999 put a rear bias on the brakes in light braking which shifts braking force forward as braking increases. This is cause to adjust or double-think driving in the situation I just stated. This brake biasing is nothing short of amazing in 99.84% of every other situation, in fact you'll find the LC100 braking system to be second to none. I should also state that myself and one other person are the only ones who have ever had concern here and realistically is a non-issue if you're not sending my wife speeding over 13k' passes in February. My full-disclosure.

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
I love the style of the Discovery II, and it's interior is amazing despite the quirky button layout. However, this post from Discoweb sums up a majority of DII owners' feelings and I took it into consideration when considering an LR purchase.

I thought that I would post this to let people know about common problems with the Discovery II. After reading tons of stuff about these vehicles, and owning one for 5 years, I've come to find out that these problems will happen if you own a discovery II.
These will (will) happen in this order:

* First, you will notice a small amount of leaking (probably coolant). You'll start by noticing a sucking sound in the dash. I've seen a million posts about this sound (mostly when you accelerate). You'll read alot of posts that tell you it's hard to eliminate air from the coolant on these vehicles. Wrong (partially right), it's because your vehicle has started leaking coolant. It is the first signs that you have a coolant leak. Just add coolant. It will go away for awhile. (around 45000 miles)

* Next, your wife will tell you that she got burned when you took a left at a light. You'll think, she's crazy. She'll tell you that the floorboard is wet on the passenger side. You'll get online and read about the heater core o-rings leaking and you'll also read about how expensive it is to repair due to the amount of labor involved. You'll end up taking a better look as it gets worse and realize that it's the air cond drain tubes. Easy and cheap fix. (55,000 miles)

* Next, you'll need a brake job. If you let it go too long or if you happen to "touch" the ABS sensors the wrong way, or use the "wrong" brake pads (whatever that means)you'll have the "three amigos" (the hill descent, ABS, traction control) lights. This sounds easy, get it checked out and it will go away. This can be true, but I've noticed an "enigma" that some mechanics cannot repair in a way that it will "go away" for a long amount of time. I've read a million posts about people having this fixed and it starts again in a couple of weeks. Truth be told, I don't know why this is. I don't know if it's that most mechanics don't know how to repair, or if it's just a problem with the discovery. I would bet that it's just a problem with discovery's. I have had this problem first hand. (around 65000 miles)

* Next, you'll notice that the coolant leaking is getting worse. You'll think that you can just add coolant every few months and you're right. The sucking sound in the dash will let you know when you need to add. Just put some coolant in the storage bins and don't let it come close to overheating. Pay attention to the gauges. (70000 miles)

* Next, you notice a squeaking sound when you accelerate (chirping bird). It will start off just sometimes and get worse. You'll get online and read about the rotoflex going bad. They'll check out and tell you that it's your front driveshaft. (easy fix) This is due to the coolant leak that I mentioned before dripping on the front drive shaft. Most mechanics will tell you that it's going to be $900 to $1200 bucks. You can definitely fix this yourself. Remove 8 bolts and contact "Great Basin Rovers". They'll tell you how to fix and the part is only $400 bucks. Makes you Rover drive much better as well.
(75000 miles)

* Next, your leak will get worse. You'll start checking out the engine to find the source. You'll notice that there is a leak on the drivers side valve cover. Then you'll get online and check it out and find out that it's the throttle body heater gasket plate. You can fix this by either replacing or putting in a connector and bypassing this. If you bypass, you'll notice that on cold mornings, it feels like the gas peddle is sticking a little when you start off. It is. This is simple fix and not really expensive. You'll think, great, I've found the coolant leak. (80000 miles)

* Next, your coolant leak will get much worse. (probably cause you fixed the throttle body leak and added pressure to the system which finds the weak parts of your gaskets) You'll start adding coolant every two weeks, then every week, then every three days. Then you'll take it to a shop kind of knowing what they are going to say.

Bam, "you need head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, front seal, intake gaskets (upper and lower), exhaust gaskets, head machine work (since they are removed from the engine), water pump (since everything else is removed). Major fix. $2300 in labor, $500 in parts (and I ordered myself cause I could save money). This was an independent mechanic that I totally trust. Probably $4000-$6000 from the stealer.
(85000 miles)

I know that most of you will say "these aren't common, this guy has a bad land rover". Totally wrong, just get online and read about a million posts. Figure it out for yourself, don't trust me.

I don't know why, but I love this vehicle. I like the way it looks, I like the way it drives. This is crazy because if it were any other vehicle, I'd say it is a piece of ****. I also have a 1988 BMW 535is daily driver that I've had for 15 years that I have never done any mechanical work on (does not leak any (any, meaning none) oil. does not leak any (any, meaning none) coolant) and it has 235000 miles on it, plus everything works on it (cruise control,air, heater, power door locks, trip computer, etc...). It's like you have a double standard with these vehicles. It's like the vehicle is a "Pro-bowl" running back. No matter how many times he beats his wife and gets arrested for drugs, you love him cause he runs great when he is able to run. "Like a scab that you can't resist picking at, cause it feels good in a weird way"

Don't let "land rover" guys tell you that this is normal for "ALL" vehicles. "Everyone needs engine repair at 85000 miles. That's a lot of miles on a vehicle." Bull, I know a ton (most) vehicles that don't need this type of work this soon.

Just thought that I would let all the unsuspecting discovery II owners know that aren't sure if it's their vehicle or if it's common.

You'll also think, "why did this guy write so much about his discovery". Because, I have read a million posts and tons of them are just "dumb". I've wasted so much time reading these posts that I decided to waste more time writing this post.

haven

Expedition Leader
For interior room, the Suburban wins easily. the Suburban has roughly 50% more interior space than the Land Cruiser. The 2000 Land Cruiser has 90 cu ft of storage space behind the front seats. Chevrolet says the maximum cargo capacity of the 2009 Suburban is 137.4 cu ft. There is 46 cu ft of cargo space behind the third row of seats.

For comparison, the 2009 Honda Odyssey minivan has 147 cu ft behind the front seats, with the rear seats folded down but still in the vehicle.

Just for comparison, the 2009 Dodge Sprinter has 141 cu ft of volume -- behind the rear seat of the 12 passenger van! Without seats, the Sprinter interior volume is 318 cu ft. And that's for the regular wheelbase, standard roof height. Step up to the Sprinter mega roof, long wheelbase model, and the interior volume is 600 cu ft.

Chip Haven

Zatara

Adventurer
If you are looking for interior room nothing beats the Suburban.
However, having worked for Toyota for 25 years now as a master technician I know all too well that they are the best out there. But when I needed a tow vehicle I bought a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and have had no problems other than regular maintenance and the standard fuel guage issue.
My only complaint with the Chevy is the IFS front end and the problems in lifting it. A lot of people here and other forums love to bash the Chevy IFS but I have been in some pretty rough areas and it has done just fine. It's not a rock crawler but that's not what I use it for anyway.
I think you would be fine with either the Suburban or the Land Cruiser.

EdoHart

Observer
If you are looking for interior room nothing beats the Suburban.
However, having worked for Toyota for 25 years now as a master technician I know all too well that they are the best out there. But when I needed a tow vehicle I bought a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and have had no problems other than regular maintenance and the standard fuel guage issue.
My only complaint with the Chevy is the IFS front end and the problems in lifting it. A lot of people here and other forums love to bash the Chevy IFS but I have been in some pretty rough areas and it has done just fine. It's not a rock crawler but that's not what I use it for anyway.
I think you would be fine with either the Suburban or the Land Cruiser.

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the Chevy IFS yet. It's a weak point which can be easily fixed by a visit to the aftermarket. I understand Cognito plans to unveil something for the Chevy IFS at SEMA this year. They already have some great stuff for the Chevy, so I can't wait to see their latest development.

On a long trip, or a situation in which you have to bug out quickly, lots of room is a big plus. I know too little about either of the other 2 vehicles to comment.

maximumrob

Adventurer
We bought a Suburban a few months ago. I can tell you this much...as roadtrippers, we'll never be without a Suburban again. The more space you have, the easier the trip is. Plus, the wife can ALWAYS fill up whatever truck you buy anyway.

Superu

Explorer
Update

Passed on the Disco, still looking at a couple of Land Cruisers, the 04 Suburban was apparently abused, but here's the kicker.

Looked at and drove an 01 V-10 one owner Excursion Limited 4x4 with 98k miles. The truck is nearly spotless, very solid, rode well on city streets and highway and the Mrs. was able to park it at Dunkin Donuts and get back out!

Running the numbers to compare the mpg of what we were getting with the T&C to what we'd expect with the Excursion. Looking at more Subs this weekend as well. Will the fun never end? :ylsmoke:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Get the Suburban. I had a 94 and if it had'nt been for $4 a gallon gas and a 42 gallon tank, I would still own it today. I wish I would have gotten a 2500 with a 454 though (1500 w/350 a little sluggish but a Vortec 350 should be ok). Awesome storage capability. I found the IFS to be ok, it's not a rock crawler after all!

Pete Wilson

Zatara

Adventurer
I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the Chevy IFS yet. It's a weak point which can be easily fixed by a visit to the aftermarket. I understand Cognito plans to unveil something for the Chevy IFS at SEMA this year. They already have some great stuff for the Chevy, so I can't wait to see their latest development.

On a long trip, or a situation in which you have to bug out quickly, lots of room is a big plus. I know too little about either of the other 2 vehicles to comment.

Cognito makes great stuff !!:sombrero:
I haven't heard any rumors about something new though, any more info ??

EdoHart

Observer
Cognito makes great stuff !!:sombrero:
I haven't heard any rumors about something new though, any more info ??

Sorry, no. It was several months ago that I read they had something new coming out, no specifics. I looked, but couldn't find what I had read. One reason I haven't gotten a lift yet is because I want to see what they'll unveil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online