2004 Tundra build

TRUIZ

Observer
Ok I have a few updates for the build thread.
1. Sleeping platform.
2. Fuel storage rack.
3. Pressurized water tank.

Sleeping platform made from 1/4 inch ply for the base and top. 1/2 inch for the structural members. Wanted it to be light yet strong. Check it out...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

TRUIZ

Observer
Used piano hinges for all the hinge points. Next was to figure out how to support the small outer edge of the platform. Thought long and hard for a solution. Ended up making a rail system out of aluminum angle iron and 1/2 inch ply vertical uprights. Worked out pretty good.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

TRUIZ

Observer
Got some outdoor carpet from Home Depot on clearance, hence the brown color, I know it doesn't match the interior of the shell but whatever. Ended up just bolting the platform to the bed on all four corners. I was thinking turnbuckles and all that but said screw it, bolting will be stronger and if I need to remove the platform it shouldn't be too hard to remove if necessary.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 18

TRUIZ

Observer
I opted not to make drawers due to the fact that it's just extra weight, slides are expensive, and I just didn't feel like it. I found some old plastic recycle bins in my backyard. I cut them down to size w a jigsaw and those will be my storage crates. They are light, very durable, and free! Thanks to the city of Oceanside.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

TRUIZ

Observer
Put cabinet magnets on the rail system to fasten the outer ends. Not sure how I'm gonna latch the main lids. That's what I have so far. Hope you like it. I'll keep everyone posted on he functional it is. Haven't taken it out yet so we will see. It might jus fall apart for all I know. LOL
image.jpg
image.jpg

TRUIZ

Observer
Fuel rack was designed and made with a great deal of help from my buddy and co worker.
Baja dent. Amazing metal worker, great welder, and overall good guy. So that's my shout out to Brent. Thanks for the help.

Didn't want to pay for the baja rack fuel holder and wasn't too keen on how tall the profile is when they sit on the roof rack.

Decided to have them lay flat. Hope they don't leak. Three across the top of the rack. Good for 15 gallons and very low profile.

image.jpg

image.jpg

TRUIZ

Observer
image.jpg

This is where the top strap will be attached.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Front of rack where strap arms will be secured.
image.jpg

character zero

dangerfoot
Nice build man! I dig the truck and your pics are making me miss SD! I had a bajarack on my T4R and wish I had kept it for the Tundra....nice bit of kit for sure!

TRUIZ

Observer
1/2 grade 8 bolts were welded on all four corners and custom brackets made to mount to the baja rack cross bars.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online