2004 Xterra start off

FirstXterra

Hi guys! Im a 19 year old college student that owns a 2004 Nissan Xterra, I have been for a while now trying to figure out where to start on my build. I am leaning towards a 3" lift but I do not know which type/brand of lift to go with. I am looking to make this into an awesome crosscountry/expedition vehicle. I know it takes time and you cant rush into decisions on something like this. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I don't think a lift will make it a good xc/expedition vehicle.
I would look at 1. preventive repairs (belts, shocks, fluids) 2. good AT tires (you can fit some good 31s with just a slight trim) 3. rack cargo system for all your toys and tools 4. recovery gear 5. protection (sliders, bumpers, skids) 6. Lift

Heck at your age I was loading up an old sr5 or pathfinder and exploring the mountains of ColoRADo, or Wyoming at every break I had from class. Don't let truck mods get in the way of life. :safari-rig:

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
I would say get all your Expedition gear and recovery gear first then tires if needed or undercarriage protection.

FirstXterra

I just got it out of the shop with a new timing belt and pumps, a new fan belt and the average fluid change. Thats the debate going on in my head lift or tires...but i was leaning a little towards a smaller lift because of some of the trail riding I do.
And I know what you mean, every day I have off from class or work I'm up in the back country of Nevada. My X has awesome capability right now, I just want to give it some extra umph.

Falkon

Adventurer
If its between a lift and tires, I would say get your lift on first and then decide on the tires. You will have more options on tire sizes once its lifted.

What everyone else mentioned is good too, but at 19, maybe a little less exciting. At minimum, get a shovel, proper size come along, tow rope, etc. Sounds like you have the maintenance in hand.

Go with a friendn be safe and get out in it an learn what you need as you go!

- Chris

nasko

Adventurer
My 2c. The 2004 X fits 31" with no trimming. I had 31" Duratracs on my 02. I think as it stands the 1st Gen has very good ground clearance as it is (read up on the PML which adds another 1.5" or so). It does not have any protection underneath, so if I were you I would do skids, sliders and drive it as it is until I see what the shortcomings are. Cheers

stioc

Expedition Leader
x3 on Co-opski's suggestion but I would do 6 before 5. With a lift you can put off the need for heavy armor and even if you do get armor the newer suspension is able to carry the extra weight better. At least that's how I built my truck but then there's no right or wrong way...just make a list, set your priorities and go.

BTW, the X's can fit skinny 32s with no trimming- see mortonm's X in this section.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
x3 on Co-opski's suggestion but I would do 6 before 5. With a lift you can put off the need for heavy armor and even if you do get armor the newer suspension is able to carry the extra weight better. At least that's how I built my truck but then there's no right or wrong way...just make a list, set your priorities and go.

BTW, the X's can fit skinny 32s with no trimming- see mortonm's X in this section.

I am Co-opski and I agree with this message.

I see your reasoning on the lift before armor, I also have the tall skinny 32s on my rig with the poor mans lift and OME Heavy springs in the back. I did that after I broke a leaf spring on my overloaded move to Alaska.

I just got it out of the shop with a new timing belt and pumps, a new fan belt and the average fluid change. Thats the debate going on in my head lift or tires...but i was leaning a little towards a smaller lift because of some of the trail riding I do.
And I know what you mean, every day I have off from class or work I'm up in the back country of Nevada. My X has awesome capability right now, I just want to give it some extra umph.
Sounds like you are good for a few thousand miles now. The X is very capable out of the box, steering can be the other bugger if the tires get too big.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
32s will fit with slight trimming to the plastic behind the front tires..
Poor mans lift = New rear shackles and adjusting the Torsion bars to gain 1.5" of lift.
This is half of the 3" lift to begin with so if your looking at a easy way to start that would be one.

A Body lift for the Gen 1 Xterra can be pieced together for under 100$ Its really easy to do and will allow for larger tires..
For a Expo version of the Xterra I would recommend the BFG KO 33" 10.50 15R or the KM2 10.50 15R This is a nice tall tire and yet skinny too.
Normal 33s will be a 12.50 wide..

Armor? The Xterra came with a gas skid and front skid.. Both are thin but do add some protection on normal use. You have to balance the build if your looking
to do a real Expo rig.. Armor is nice but it comes with a price... "weight" The 3.3 V6 is not a power house of a engine as is rated at 170-220(SC).. Once you start adding larger tires, Bumpers (Front and back) and rock sliders your adding about 3 people or more to the rig with out having them in the SUV. Then add a fridge.. supplies and gear and you have a HEAVY load. Then with the larger tires you better be ready to re-gear it.. The Xterra came with 4.6 or 4.9 gearing.. Great for a little larger tire but with 33s its a hair much on the HWY.

Plan plan plan for the real use of your rig.. I love my Xterra I have owned 3 of them 2001, 2000, and a 2009...

They type or maker if the lift is blaa... Calmini or 4x4parts are the 2 main people to pick from... I own parts from both.. and love them..
They both have about the same quality as well... Skids.. Shrockworks or Skid row... I have skid row and love them... easy to install and take a beating... Shrockworks
has a bad rep for delivery issues.. They will tell you 6 weeks and you will get them in 6 months.. Great product.. Just bad, bad service..
Bumpers... ARB makes a great light bumper.. ITs not as strong as others but it does the job.. A new company www.rlcweldfab.com is making Gen 1 and 2 front bumpers..
I own one and its BEEF cake! Shrock is very nice but once again.. wait times will be LONG!

Rock sliders are a must! White-knuckle is the way to go.. Built nice.. bolt right on and John is very fast on delivery.. 2 to 3 weeks.. and he builds to order.. so trust me that is fast.

Either way check out www.xterranation.org or the other forum to research and get a feel for what others have done.

drb

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Ive heard a lot of good and bad things about a poor mans lift. How well do you think it works?

How well?
It is part of the full 3" lift so it works as well as it can I guess.. The Xterra has torsion bars..
torsions.jpeg

All you need to finish up the front for the full 3" is UCA OR Upper control arms.

The rear.. Shackles or AAL (Add a leaf)

The first thing you need to think about is tires.. Grip is king no matter what type of off roading you plan on doing.. Next would be the height of said tires.
The Xterra came stock with a 265 65 15R or 16R This is right at 29to 30"s. So if you can gain height that way, It will help your read differential clear and obstacle
you encounter. No mater what lift you add.. The rear diff is going to stay the same. So tires are the only true way to add more height.

Down side to adding a taller tire is the gearing on the Xterra. 4.6/4.9 is great for stock tires.. once you add a taller tire its killing the ratio.. Some that do 33/35" tires will add a 5.13 (I think) to bring the Xterra back in line with factor settings and power. Gearing isnt cheap, 1k on up.. Like any hobby the higher the food chain you move.. The higher the pricing will be.

So to answer the PML question.. Yes its worth it for the little you need to spend for it. Shackles (65 Front lift (Free) and re-alignment 75-120)

My 2000 stock
DSC_0035.jpg

With 33s and PML (I cut to make the 33s fit with out a 2" BL)
DSC_0031.jpg

33" tires 1.5" PML and 2" Body lift
DSC_0086.jpg

With RLC front bumper
TopRLC.jpg

With Snorkel on the trails
DSC_3157_zps5caec5b6.jpg

Hope this helps some

drb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members