2005 118" Sprinter Conversion for Alexander

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
# 20

P1030483.JPG
(above) Bike mount wall needs a finish surface...

P1030489.JPG
(above) I've been scoring some amazing B side 1/8" plywood...I used this for my current paddleboard rails...I like the wood transition from Outdoors to White FRP, to this, to the fir / pine interior...A space breaker...I like it for what it is...My wive was less that enthusiastic...Opinions not criticized...What's yours...???...

P1030490.JPG
(aboVe) So the bike hangs there off the front wheel mount, then gets strapped in to the bottom mount...Something found at Lowe's...Still need to finalize how to keep the seat from wavering...???...

P1030500.JPG
(above) The under cabinets and wheel wells are finished out with black vinyl carpet runner, contact cement adhered to the underlay plywood...

P1030501.JPG
(above) Aluminum corners with flush countersunk screws keep the damage down there inconsequential...

P1030502.JPG
(above) I wanted to get away from an all fine woodwork interior...Not everything has to be visually interesting...

P1030503.JPG
(above) As the checklist gets decimated, next is the wire shelving near the ceiling...

P1030504.JPG
(above) Bolt cutters are the prime tool used here...And a grinder...

P1030505.JPG
(above) The ends get a return bend on them...

P1030506.JPG
(above) Almost ready to install...

Last edited:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1030507.JPG
Snip, snip, snip...The final install is all that's left for these...

P1030508.JPG
The behind the diver seat table needs a few days to get done...This is the starting point...I bent some wood for a screen door I built for Pam's brother, that's the walnut in the middle of the fir 1/2" blocks on both sides...I like to just use scrap stuff laying around...No real plan here other than make it a signature piece..Sorry Jiveass, you'll have to settle for this instead of a <JENSEN> logo...

P1030509.JPG
(above) Glued to the plywood, It's a for sure thing now...

P1030510.JPG
(above) No idea where this is going...

westyss

Explorer
you guys are way too serious. a lot of threads entertain different opinions and ways of doing things. every response can't be an "atta boy!"

Nope, you missed on that one and maybe didnt see the big smiley face at the end:D And I am the last one to be too serious!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
# 21

P1030511.JPG
(above) Before opening the shop door, another row of blocks went on the tabletop...

P1030512.JPG
(above) Yellow glue and 22 gauge pins...

P1030513.JPG
Time to put the water tank together...Everything was washed with soap, the slip connections were dry sanded with 60 grit for a good epoxy bond and the outside of the tubes was wet sanded to 220 grit..Again it all got washed...

P1030514.JPG
(above) The faucet fittings: PVC cap with a hole in it...The through fitting is a connector with the slip fit portion cut and a 1/2" pipe nipple goes between...Simple...

P1030524.JPG
(above) Epoxy glues the parts together...Same as I did mine in '06...I set the tank aside for at least a day before I'll wet sand the outside one more time, then install it...

P1030515.JPG
(above) Next the countertop edging was cut from a 2x4, a rabbet was cut into the edge, miters were cut, the corners are glued, taped,then pinned...

P1030516.JPG
(above) Clear Polyseam works well between the wood and stainless...

P1030521.JPG
(above) On the driver side the tape is pulled...Ready to putty the holes and lightly sand...

P1030522.JPG
(above) Curb side...Let it all dry overnight...

P1030523.JPG
(above) Tomorrow it will get final sanded then sealed...

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
View attachment 190573
(above) Hmmm, what to do next...???...[/QUOTE]

I think you need to inlay a Mt Bike rider going down that steep hill.

Back on the rear door tables you inlaid a row of magnets. Did you cover the magnet with the stainless? So does it still work through the top? I never would have thought the magnetic properties would work through stainless metal.

java

Expedition Leader
So just out of curiosity, why epoxy on the water tank instead of the traditional PVC glue?

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Why...???... I did mine that way years ago, and it's been fine, so has all the other epoxy set PVC connections I've done...But really, I don't like the blue glue line...

Scuff sanding and a clean, clean, clean surface are good prep...And leaving the assembly untouched as the epoxy cures...

I'm proud of myself...I took no pictures today of the puttying, sanding, sealing of the casework...Or of the cork glued to the bottom of the drawers, or hanging the racks and tank...Or drilling speaker holes in the headliner, or additional features added to the tabletop...Just a steady day's work...I'll resume the documentation tomorrow...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Back on the rear door tables you inlaid a row of magnets. Did you cover the magnet with the stainless? So does it still work through the top? I never would have thought the magnetic properties would work through stainless metal.

The idea I got from the Hiscox Jeep...I put one on mine and most people consider it, along with the water supply, the best features of the van, at first glance...The magnets do work fine through the SS...Bigger is better, and a bungee strap is the fail safe...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater