2005 Chevy Colorado Build Up

dennisuello said:
Did you use liberal mounts of thread locker on the bolts? It's better to buy a correct size tube and cut spacers instead of using stacked washers.

I agree. There would be less of an issue with things coming loose with a solid spacer. Someone on the ColoradoFans web site has put together a kit that includes the spacers (I think one inch), longer bolts and other necessary hardware. I think they are still offering it but I haven't checked in a while.

I'm going to keep what I have for now. In the spring I plan on putting on a 4 inch lift (probably Skyjacker...this truck desperately needs a better breakover angle). This lift kit includes a solid differential drop bracket that I will use in place of the washers.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Looking good. That's something I'd like to install on my own truck. Can't wait to see your truck with the new lift. That's going to be tough. Good stuff.

Topper is on!!!

Leer 100XL Topper

It fits great and looks really good too. They did a good job matching the color.

Newtopper0031.jpg

Thanks again to MountainPete for the decals. I plan on taking the Leer branding off as soon as I can.

Newtopper0041.jpg

Damage from the plastic bed liner that came with the truck.:( It's like this in all four corners. I plan on applying Herculiner to the bed this summer.

Newtopper0151.jpg

Random picture with topper.

Newtopper0121.jpg

Last edited:
BCJC said:
looks great! any plans for a roof rack? can't wait to see the sliders too.

No plans for a roof rack now. Things may change but as for now I have plenty of room inside for storage, I still keep my spare tire underneath, no plan to add overhead lights and I like the fact that the truck is a little more aerodynamic without one. Although I do like how yours looks.

The sliders or 4:10 gears are next.

Did you see what I got for Xmas http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10299&page=4 :)

Last edited:

BCJC

Adventurer
sweet, will you be using the rado? i agree about the aerodynamics, i needed a place for a spare (33" doesn't fit stock position), but i did notice some noise increase and mpg decrease... the sliders will be great, what is your current r&p ratio? also, i'm hoping to do a trial removal of my sway bar at some point when i get a good chance to really get a feel for it, i'll keep you posted.

BCJC said:
sweet, will you be using the rado? i agree about the aerodynamics, i needed a place for a spare (33" doesn't fit stock position), but i did notice some noise increase and mpg decrease... the sliders will be great, what is your current r&p ratio? also, i'm hoping to do a trial removal of my sway bar at some point when i get a good chance to really get a feel for it, i'll keep you posted.

Yes, I would like to use my Colorado for the training. My wife said that I could use his vehicle but I would rather learn everything in my own truck anyway. I'm sure he would be accommodating no matter what kind of truck somebody showed up in. The only specification was that the truck has to have front and back frame mounted recovery points.

My ratio right now is 3.43:1 I’ve been keeping track of gas mileage at each stage of modification (so far just stock and then with larger tires). My mileage took a hit with the larger tires. It will be interesting to see the affect of the 4.10 gears. I'm assuming it will be for the better. I’ll do a right up on this when I have more data.

I'm disappointed to hear that a spare 33 doesn't fit in the stock location. For my 2009 trip I would like to take two spares and I was counting on putting one in the stock location. What's in the way? Can anything be cut or moved?

I have a lot of work to do before next summer. Right now I’m looking at possibly buying a winter daily driver in order to prolong the life of my Colorado.

Scanguage II

Just received my Scanguage II in the mail and spent the last hour in my truck reading the manual and playing with all the functions. I had wanted to get a simple volt meter for my truck but after doing a little research (mostly on this site) I decided to order a Scanguage II. I think it was well worth the money considering all that it does.

My only question now is where to mount it. I found a few options at the Coloradofans website. Each with pros and cons.

option 1
View attachment 15077
Pros: Easy to read location, removable, easy to mount (no custom cutting)
Cons: In direct sunlight (could exceed max operating temp.), accessible only to driver

option 2
View attachment 15078
Pros: Factory look (if you do a good job), accessible by both driver and passenger.
Cons: Permanent installation (could only be used on my truck), tv screen would cover display when flipped up

option 3
View attachment 15079
Pros: Easy to read location, removable, easy to mount
Cons: Covers up factory odometer, accessible only to driver

option 4
View attachment 15080View attachment 15081
Pros: Somewhat of a factory look, accessible by both driver and passenger, some cutting involved but only to the "radio frame" and I can get a new one at Walmart if I mess up.
Cons: Permanent installation, not easy to read while driving

I am leaning toward option 3 or 4, mostly 4

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Option 4 looks nicest, but 2 could be good, too. I'm not a fan of random gadgets all over, so I like when things don't look cluttered and disorganized. But my decision would be which of the two is easiest to see (so safest!) during operation. I'm assuming a ScanGauge is something you mess with while driving?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Depending how high you sit vs. how low it would be in the center stack, I think a position similar to option #3 will serve you best.

It will be harder to read at a severe angle. The more you can keep it in your line of sight without raising or lowering your head to see it, the better. At night it won't be so bad, depending on the background colors your choose. But during the day it seems to get washed out fairly easy.

I keep mine attached under the top edge of my dash. It's out of direct sunlight yet easy to read. It would also be easy from here to pull it and swap over to another vehicle, although I haven't done that and doubt I will. Pushing the buttons to change readings is also easier at driving eye level.

scangauge+2_001.jpg

I ended up going with option #3. I really liked how option #4 looked but it was just to hard to read in that position. I may tweek it a bit later but this is good for now.

scanguageIImytruck008b.jpg

scanguageIImytruck009b.jpg

BOSSVAN

I mounted mine just like option #1. It has been there for about 6 months without ever getting too hot. I like it in the place i have mine, as well as where you put yours. Looks good man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998