2005 Express Camper Build

Texas Aggie

Observer
Been a long while since i posted, so thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've done a few small projects since the last update, including installation of this transmission cooler: Hayden 698 Transmission Cooler. I chose this cooler in part b/c it has an internal thermostat that bypasses the majority of the cooler until the fluid gets up to temperature (which probably takes about 3.6 seconds in Texas during the summer). Getting the grill off was easy (many YouTube videos show how), but this is the end result:
PXL_20220219_213045210.jpg
Based on my research, it's better to have the aux cooler downstream of the primary cooler. I disconnected the top transmission line and ran the engine for a couple of seconds to confirm it was the return line from the primary cooler to the transmission (the fluid came out of the radiator fitting, not the line). This seemed like the most obvious spot to put the cooler based on proximity to the return line and fitting.
PXL_20220227_201054167.jpg

For the GM applications, you have to buy an adaptor to connect the rubber hose from the cooler kit to the radiator fitting. I used this adapter 90 degree fitting because it has a 90 bend and put less stress on the fitting or rubber hose. On the left side of the cooler, I used two existing bolts for support (I barely had to elongate one of the holes on the cooler mount to get them to line up). For the right side, I used a bracket I had laying around and drilled small holes at the bottom of the radiator core support, making sure not to go into the radiator. There is a flange that extends down so you can see that your not drilling into anything that holds fluid. While I had the grille off I painted it black (using the Rustoleum Matte Black Trim and Bumper Spray Paint, available at Home Depot among others). My Chevy Bowtie was looking sad, so I blacked it all out and then did a 1/4 tape on the outline. The cooler isn't really noticeable behind the grille. By far the hardest part of the project was getting the rubber hose from the cooler kit over the end of the return line. It took quite a bit of effort to force it over the barb/flare on the end of the line, but it eventually got there.

PXL_20220326_211119471.jpg

Texas Aggie

Observer
Very cool headlights
How do you like them?
I like them a lot. Haven't done a ton of night time driving, but they're much better than the stock halogens (which were old and needed replacing). Comparison of old and new lights shown below. Bought them off Amazon here: LED headlights . Supposedly DOT approved, but not sure how much faith you can put in Amazon vendor claims. I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers, and they appear to have a pretty good cutoff line. I got the silver version b/c they look more like the original headlights, but in hindsight the black version may look better with the Express grille.
IMG_20200726_173517.jpgb

Last edited:

Texas Aggie

Observer
One of the reasons I installed the transmission cooler was I finally figured out how to monitor my transmission temp, and I didn't like how hot it got in the mountains. I monitored the temps via the Torque Pro app, which is only $5. I used this OBD2 scanner / Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBD2 port under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I originally just displayed a few of the gauges on my phone but then decided to use an old Amazon tablet I had laying around to provide a larger screen and add more gauges. I started to build a fancy hinged cover for the storage bin on the doghouse and mount the tablet there, but ended up using the KISS principle with large binder clips and adhesive-backed Velcro. Pics of binder clips and Velcro below (excuse the mess in the storage bin):
PXL_20220620_210719608.jpg PXL_20220620_210750746.jpg

I put the fuzzy velcro side on the back of the tablet and mounted it like so:

PXL_20220417_193141195.NIGHT.jpg

Probably went overboard on the gauges, but I can delete some later if I want. I'm not OCD, but wanted the display to be symmetrical, so some of the gauges are duplicates of the dashboard gauges. I also like the fact that you can add alarm limits and the app will give you an audible warning when you exceed the limit. It even has a voice that provides an explanation of which parameter is in alarm, so it's probably not a bad idea to have duplicates. The roll and pitch meters were somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as I'm not planning on doing any hardcore off roading in a high top long wheel base van.

PXL_20220417_193452205.jpg

Texas Aggie

Observer
Another fairly recent project I completed was painting the fiberglass topper. The original gelcoat had faded quite a bit, so I thought some paint would help cosmetics and hopefully protect it. An older before picture, and just completed after picture below:

PXL_20210117_230144376.jpg InkedPXL_20220322_004925877.jpg

It's definitely a 10-20 footer but overall I think it's an improvement. I decided on the Rustoleum Marine Topside Gloss White paint and debated rolling versus spraying. I ended up rolling it with the "hot-dog" high density foam rollers. Followed the instructions fairly closely, but didn't wipe down with tack paper after lightly sanding it (based on issues I'd read with tack paper leaving residue). I did wash it down after sanding, blew it with a leaf blower and let it sit for quite a while before starting paint. The topper surface was in pretty good shape, so I didn't use a primer. After three months, the paint appears to have adhered well so hopefully that was the right decision. If I have to do it again in a few years, I may consider spraying it. I thought rolling would be easier (and it may be), but I've got a compressor and (cheap Harbor Freight) spray gun, so I might try spraying next time. I've heard it can be difficult to spray the marine paint, so I'd definitely thin it out as much as recommended and try it on scrap before I tried it on the van.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998