2005 Gen 3 Montero (Pajero) Overland Build

EpicPlanet

Hello all. I recently bought a 2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited with 134k miles for an overland build. Hoping to document the process here. It is currently completely stock. I did some light to moderate trails on the way home from buying it. Even in stock form, it was pretty impressive. I was by myself and without any recovery equipment, so I did not want to push it much. Can't wait to see what it can do.

I have a list of modifications in mind, but what would all yall suggest? Where should I start?

20240414_151446.jpg20240414_152358.jpg20240414_153012.jpg20240414_152610.jpg

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I can also second the slightly larger tires. I put 265/70r-17 on my 2005 LTD.
Toyo Open Country are my preferred AT. They have very good tread life, but do make more noise in the Gen 3 cabin. Nothing horrible, but a slight drone on some freshly paved roads.
I took mine everywhere that a Jeep Rubicon was willing to travel without any issues. You will learn a different offroad strategy for this vehicle. They do not have flex, but it is usually not needed. Keep 2-3 tires in contact and the traction control system will sort the rest out. It will grab pretty quickly even with a tire in the air (Montero Salute). Keep it slow and steady. It doesn't really need much throttle to get over obstacles. The car balances very well across the diagonal.
Other modifications would be things to make it more usable as a camping platform. There's a few builds here with good ideas and inspiration.

Also, pick up the FSM from my signature. The 03 and 05 manuals should have everything you need.

plh

Explorer
I'll third for tires. 265/75R16 or 17. Chassis is very susceptible to NVH from tire hum & rumble --> choose them carefully with the advise from other Gen 3 owners. I had good luck with BFG KO2, I did 3 sets of them over the 120K miles of ownership on my '05. Falken Wildpeak A/T were unbearable.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Gotta put a rack/basket on the roof so everyone at intersections and stoplights knows you're a bonafide overlander.

The rest can just stay stock, maybe some tires, but no lift. :)

alanymarce

Toyo Open Country are my preferred AT. They have very good tread life, but do make more noise in the Gen 3 cabin. Nothing horrible, but a slight drone on some freshly paved roads.
Hmm - interesting. We've used Dunlops, Pirellis, Yokohamas, Michelins, and BFGs, and are now using Toyo Open Country ATs. They are quieter than the BFGs - about the same as the Yokohamas - and are similar to the BFGs in performance, but significantly cheaper. I don't notice much road noise with them.

ChrisCosta416

I am fan of Michelin Defenders LTX for all-terrain tires. But the echo what everyone else said the truck is very capable stock and close to stock. If I had to build mine again I would go with the OE tire width and maybe 1 or 2 diameter sizes about stock, thats all it needs.

Reactions: plh

EpicPlanet

I would keep it mostly stock at first. Bigger tires, no lift. Catch up on maintenance and get a feel for what it can do first
Great advice! Planning to get it on a lift and remediate the rust first. It's not too bad, but needs to be addressed before any mods. Want to pull off the intake manifold and clean that up this weekend, check the butterflies. Hoping to do a couple dyno pulls to establish baseline power before I mess with much. Need a new exhaust due to the rust. No holes yet, and it passed emissions testing, but still want to replace it. Looking at Wildcat headers. There's a local shop I use for exhaust work. I'll get them to fabricate the system from headers back. Need to take care of the miscellaneous noises in the mean time - air whistling during upshifts (Vacuum leak?), shifter linkage needs to be cleaned and greased, weather stripping on front passenger door seems to unseal when going over some bumps, factory car alarm is too sensitive, rear latch has trouble opening, minor stuff really. This is the first Mitsubishi Cyclone or Sirius engine I've ever had that did not have any lifter tick what-so-ever. At 135k miles, not sure how that's possible. Lol.

EpicPlanet

I can also second the slightly larger tires. I put 265/70r-17 on my 2005 LTD.
I took mine everywhere that a Jeep Rubicon was willing to travel without any issues. You will learn a different offroad strategy for this vehicle. They do not have flex, but it is usually not needed. Keep 2-3 tires in contact and the traction control system will sort the rest out. It will grab pretty quickly even with a tire in the air (Montero Salute). Keep it slow and steady. It doesn't really need much throttle to get over obstacles. The car balances very well across the diagonal.
Other modifications would be things to make it more usable as a camping platform. There's a few builds here with good ideas and inspiration.

Also, pick up the FSM from my signature. The 03 and 05 manuals should have everything you need.
The stock-size tires on there now still have some thread on them. Figure they will be enough for me to establish some baselines and get a feel for the vehicle. Planning on 35" K02s and regearing. Not sure if I want to swap in 4.9s, but that'll be down the road a bit. I downloaded those FSMs. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger