2005 Landcruiser vs. LX470 Tow Ratings, other stuff.

kjp1969

Explorer
We're considering a new family hauler, tow vehicle for a travel trailer. I notice that the 2005 Landcruiser is rated to tow 6500, while the LX470 is only rated for 5000. The drivetrain is the same, so I assume that there is some kind of suspension issue. The earlier versions of the Lex are rated at 6500. Can anyone give me the cliff's notes on these?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I assume that it has something to do with the AHC (Hydraulic Suspension on the LX's). Regardless, you can swap out the AHC for the standard LC suspension and "should" be able to tow the same.

hoser

Explorer
It is possible the towing capacity difference could also be related to the "under the bumper" hitch vs the "in-bumper" hitch. I don't know for sure. However, I do know the under the bumper hitch can be mounted to any year LX/LC100.

If towing 6500lbs, you'll want to address both standard and AHC suspension anyway... with supplementary rear airbags at least. I don't see any other differences between the two vehicles that would effect towing ability except the LX weighs a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78