2005 Lexus LX / 2013 Lexus GX / 2015 4Runner

Portage2Forage

Hey!

Thanks for the add!

I am looking for a new vehicle and am debating between the following:

2004-2007 Lexus LX
2010-2013 Lexus GX
2014-2016 Toyota 4Runner

I like to take road trips and fly fish with my wife and two dogs. Looking for something that is ultra reliable, carry lots of gear, can handle the backroads that lead to rivers/handle snowy Minnesota winters and is comfortable for long road trips. Have a cargo box now but would like to purchase a rooftop tent.

Looking to purchase something sub 80k miles and closer to 50 if possible (I understand this may be difficult with the older Lexus models). I have found the three vehicles to be roughly the same price (20-25k)

I prefer the style of the LX but ultimately the reliability and reasons I listed above take priority.

Any thoughts/advice on folks that have experience with these vehicles?

Thanks much in advance!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
LX is way better highway machine than the 4runner which is related to the GX

The LX is wider and far more stable at speed. So if long pavement runs are involved no comparison the LX is superior. The Sequoia also is superior to the 4runner and GX in the same manner but longer and better space than the LX

sn_85

Observer
If it is just you and your wife I'd go with a Lexus GX460 and toss out the 3rd row seats for more cargo area. It's durable, reliable, has many of the current features and creature comforts, and it still modern by Lexus/Toyota standards. KDSS and Full Time 4WD are a plus. Timing chain too so you don't have to worry about changing out a timing belt every so often. To be honest a good condition 2004-2007 LX470 is getting harder and harder to find and if you do the price is WAY inflated. And while the LX470 is built to strong and to last at the youngest they are 13 year old vehicles so you're really relying on whoever the previous owner was in terms of maintenance and things can go wrong with a 13+ year old car no matter how well they're taken care of. Finding a well taken care of GX460 is a much easier task. I'd recommend finding a 2012 or 2013 from the Southwest (not Utah or Colorado since they salt), Texas or the Southeast. Honestly Dallas and Houston seem to the mecca of finding good, used GX460's with clean maintenance history.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If it is just you and your wife I'd go with a Lexus GX460 and toss out the 3rd row seats for more cargo area. It's durable, reliable, has many of the current features and creature comforts, and it still modern by Lexus/Toyota standards. KDSS and Full Time 4WD are a plus. Timing chain too so you don't have to worry about changing out a timing belt every so often. To be honest a good condition 2004-2007 LX470 is getting harder and harder to find and if you do the price is WAY inflated. And while the LX470 is built to strong and to last at the youngest they are 13 year old vehicles so you're really relying on whoever the previous owner was in terms of maintenance and things can go wrong with a 13+ year old car no matter how well they're taken care of. Finding a well taken care of GX460 is a much easier task. I'd recommend finding a 2012 or 2013 from the Southwest (not Utah or Colorado since they salt), Texas or the Southeast. Honestly Dallas and Houston seem to the mecca of finding good, used GX460's with clean maintenance history.

This is pretty much spot on and I agree with all of it. I have owned all of these vehicles and currently own a GX and a LX. The 4Runner should be eliminated by the simple fact that it isn't nearly as comfortable on long drives and it lacks the quieter cabin and comfort of the LX and GX. Age of the 100 series LX is a detriment within this comparison and the timing belt is a weakness when compared to the maintenance of the other two. I too would recommend the GX of those listed. It's everything we wish the 5th Gen 4Runner could be and usually for less money. And yes, the Texas market is about as good as gets for the used market on these.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Look at the Sequoia also. I Moved from the Landcruiser to the Sequoia for more space. I got a sizable bump in mileage which was a very big plus given the LC and the V8 GX’s get pretty lousy mileage. The Sequoia was at least marginally ok at 14ish around town and 16-18mpg road trips. Best tank ever was a week in Yellowstone 23mpg that was all under 50mph.

The LX and GX are 11-14mpg rigs.
Today I have a 2019 Expedition I get 16-17 in town and 20-23mpg road trips. Mileage to me is about range my LC range was lousy the Sequoia was ok not great.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Look at the Sequoia also. I Moved from the Landcruiser to the Sequoia for more space. I got a sizable bump in mileage which was a very big plus given the LC and the V8 GX’s get pretty lousy mileage. The Sequoia was at least marginally ok at 14ish around town and 16-18mpg road trips. Best tank ever was a week in Yellowstone 23mpg that was all under 50mph.

The LX and GX are 11-14mpg rigs.
Today I have a 2019 Expedition I get 16-17 in town and 20-23mpg road trips. Mileage to me is about range my LC range was lousy the Sequoia was ok not great.

For starters he never mentioned the Sequoia, it's much larger than the others and it's single handedly the ugliest of the bunch not to mention it has independent rear suspension which isn't preferable beyond a better ride. While the Sequoia might slightly edge out the LC/LX in the fuel economy game (very slightly), you're wrong on those numbers with the GX 460. I have a 2.5" lift and 33's on our GX460 and I still get 18-19 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph and I average 15.5 mpg around town, the worst I've ever seen is 13.5 mpg and that was on the beach in soft sand and slightly lower when I've towed with it (not the purpose of this truck).

Our LX has 33's and while I do see 11-13 mpg around town and when towing, I still see 15-17 mpg on the highway. The LC/LX is going to be the worst of the bunch in the fuel economy department, but a big V8 and full-time 4WD will do that. The LC/LX will not only tow better than the Sequoia and run circles around it off-road, but they are more common and they also look infinitely better and have much better resale value too. BTW, the big thirsty V8 you mentioned in the LX and GX aren't the same motors, the LC/LX has the very same 5.7L that your Sequoia had and the GX has a 4.6L. The marginally better fuel economy of the Sequoia over the LC/LX can be chalked up to it's part time 4WD system and it's higher gearing, but by today's large SUV standards it still get's horrid fuel economy. This is sadly par for the course with most Toyota vehicles, but most don't buy a Toyota to save a few bucks on gas.

The new Expedition is a fantastic vehicle, it was on our short list when we bought the LX, but it's more of a direct competitor with the Sequoia with it's IRS, that said you can at least get the HD Tow package with it and tow north of 10,000 lbs when needed. Finding an Expedition with 4WD is difficult, they are about as common as a 4WD Sequoia.

tacollie

Glamper
I say GX. You get the V8 and better interior. It has good payload. The LXs are great vehicles but in your price range they are getting up there in age and miles. 4runners are great but I would rather have the V8 in the GX. If you end up considering Sequoias the 5.7 is a thirsty motor.

eloist

Adventurer
I also vote GX.

We have a 2004 GX470 and a 2008 LR3. I love them both. Full time 4wd, extremely plush interiors and great off and on road. Plus, big ass, smooth v8's in both.

100 series are great, but are way overpriced, and like mentioned, is a total crap shoot on how well they have been maintained.

Personally, I don't like 5th gen 4Runners. That v6 is so underpowered it's laughable. They are maddening to drive. My mom just traded her '17 5th gen for a GX because she also hated that weak motor... And she drives 10mph under the speed limit.

460's are easy to find, and almost all have full service records on the drivers.lexus website if you have the VIN.

Good luck!!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Personally, I don't like 5th gen 4Runners. That v6 is so underpowered it's laughable. They are maddening to drive. My mom just traded her '17 5th gen for a GX because she also hated that weak motor... And she drives 10mph under the speed limit.
You think that extra 30 hp makes that much difference?

eloist

Adventurer
I do. And it's not just the hp... It's the torque curve, and power delivery.

You've got to wring a 4Runner's neck to get it to do anything. With a toyota V8, you just do it. Smoooooothly.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I’ve had three 5th Gen 4Runners and now we are on our second GX460. The 4.6L V8 and 6-speed tranny run circles around the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed in the 4Runner. The number might be close on paper but in the real world they aren’t even close.

phsycle

Adventurer
1GR is a fine engine. It’s a workhorse and will last a long time. Plenty of power.

Now, if you’re broverloading with all the knickknacks, 2k lbs over payload, then it may strain a bit, along with the rest of the truck.

I’d have zero problems driving a 1GR 4Runner.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Let me clarify something, I never had a single issue with the 4.0L V6 1GR-FE engines in any of the three 5th Gen 4Runners that we owned or in the the two FJC's that I owned. They are dead nuts reliable motors that provide more than enough power and torque to the mass majority of their owners. I am simply stating that in comparison, the 4.6L V8 1UR-FSE engine has a much better torque curve and power band. A lot of this has to do with the different transmissions used and the extra gear found in the transmission of the GX460.

If forced to pick between the two I would take the 4.6L every single day. Believe it or not, the bigger V8 in the heavier GX has averaged better fuel economy than that of the V6 in the 4Runner/FJC.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, I've been looking half-seriously at GXs. Might get serious one of these days, as I do lust after a V8... and a 6-speed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998