2005 Sequoia SR5 4WD stock no mods camping build.

DeoreDX

There are some beautiful builds in the forums with lots of great work. I use my Sequoia mostly for camping while traveling for mountain biking. I thought I would share my setup which has worked really well. The list of things I want to do to it is a mile long but I just haven't had the time to put into it yet. My Sequoia is 100% stock and my camping setup takes about half an hour to take the seats out of and get everything packed. I do have 4WD and can tackle what you would expect to be able to tackle in a stock 4WD Sequoia. I wouldn't call her an "Overlander" just let but I'm getting there. Just wanted to show people what you can do with very minimal fab and not much time or money invested over the stock. It's a fantastic camping vehicle. Today is the 1 year anniversary of when I bought my vehicle so I thought I would share where it's at.

On the outside you can see I use a cargo box and Maxi Trac canopy.

PXL_20230207_231043920.jpg

Roof Top Cargo Box. This is where I keep my soft goods like clothes and towels. Chairs, tents, all our cycling gear. Just about anything that I don't need to access very often.

PXL_20230224_161341950.jpg

To mount the Maxi Trac canopy fabbed a mounting bracket from some 1/4" plate. I used some T-bolts to hold it into the factory rack. The shoulder on the T-Bolt was a hair to long so you can see a releif I cut into the bracket so the bracket will draw in tight against the factory rail. I've been meaning to pull it off and cut it down for a cleaner look but I've been too lazy to get around to it. Mount feels very solid.

PXL_20220607_005033896.jpg

PXL_20220607_010706617.jpg

In camping setup I use a mesh net that slides over the side windows for airflow and in hot weather I will also use a Napier Sport Cove tailgate tent. Works great, makes the interior feel a lot roomier. The side straps that hook into the wheel wells were too short so I had to extend them to get it to work with the Sequoia.

PXL_20221009_120725564.jpg
PXL_20220623_004613483.jpg

On the interior I threw together a small platform out of some 2x4's to hold my 12 fridge behind the driver seat. It's pretty rough something I threw together in 20 minutes before a trip. But it's worked well and I haven't gotten around to making a nicer prettier version. I have a couple of small 300wH LifePO4 batteries I keep under the fridge platform. Eventually I would like to add Solar to keep my batteries charged. I can normally run the fridge most of a weekend with two batteries. More if I can drive and charge them some.

PXL_20230223_145309753.jpg

For sleeping I have two 25"x75" 4" dual density memory foam mattresses. I used a full sized blow up mattress at first but I hate air mattresses. I wanted 6" but I couldn't get the 6" in time before a trip so I went with 4". Sleeps well enough, much better than an air mattress. It folds up easily and gives me plenty of extra cargo space. I use some sleeping bag liners I found at Wal Mart as a large cover to keep them clean (not shown). I went with two 25" instead of a single Full to give me the flexibility to just use one if I'm traveling solo.
PXL_20230223_205043435.jpg
PXL_20230223_205106279.jpg

This shows us packed for a weekend mountain bike race. The Plano box holds a bunch of camp kitchen gear. Plates, 5lbs gas bottle, french press, hand grinder, lantern, latern batteries, hammocks, pots, pans, butane burner, utensils, etc. Longer trips I might have a smaller box for unrefrigerated food. But a short weekend trip there is a Bogg bag filled with snacks and bread and PB and Honey and bananas behind the passenger seat. There is also a couple of pillows and a sleeping bag under the bogg bag you can't see. I don't always take the 22" blackstone but it's nice to know I can if I want to. To sleep 2 the green plano and blackstone have to be outside of the cab.

PXL_20230224_161415144.jpg

DeoreDX

A solo trip where I left the /40 seat and just have one sleeping pad. You can see the sleeping bag liner I use as a cover. No blackstone this time and I can sleep without having to take out my plano box.

PXL_20230226_175128284.jpg

drabina

Cool setup. I will definitely steal the idea for mounting an awning. When I mounted mine directly to the rails with provided brackets, the doors hit the bottom of the cover.

Is the fridge platform somehow attached to the floor? If yes, can you share the mounting design? I have a similar fridge but now it is just tied with either ratchet strap or just some bungie cords to the brackets in the floor where the seat is.

DeoreDX

Is the fridge platform somehow attached to the floor? If yes, can you share the mounting design? I have a similar fridge but now it is just tied with either ratchet strap or just some bungie cords to the brackets in the floor where the seat is.

The platform is really basic. Literally made it in less then 20 minutes with some scrap 2x4's as something temporary to use one weekend and it works well enough I haven't made anything nicer. I had considered forming an L bracket to bolt it to the seat mounting bracket but for the mild off-roading I do I haven't felt the need to. It is surprisingly solid and secure. The weight of the loaded cooler helps and the fit it tight so it doesn't really slide any. The 2x4 laying flat on the bottom are just thick enough that it allows the other longest horizontal 2x4 to clear the floor bracket so the 2x4's on the bottom lay on "upper" surface with the seat brackets. I have them pushed far enough to each side the seat brackets trap those 2x4's and keep the whole thing from moving left and right (can see it better in the 2nd picture). The front side is elevated from the foot well by just some simple 2x4's that act as columns resting in the foot well. Those were just eyeballed and cut to length by feel.

PXL_20230228_203514566.jpg

PXL_20230222_213333350.jpg

drabina

Thank you for the additional info. I will just need to modify the design a bit as my fridge is positioned 90 degrees from what you have. I do like that the platform is raised which gives you storage for the batteries as at some point I want to add a solar panel as well.

DeoreDX

V2.0. Had a little more time to make something so I pulled out some more scap wood the kreg jig and some wood glue and build a full length platform to also hold some shelves. Elevated it so my 2 Lifepo4 batteries and boxes of various charging accouterments go under one side and my Dometic water jug fits under the other. Use it this weekend and had a 12 pack, the Dometic, and extra bottled water and bottles of body armor under the passenger side shelves. Pot, french press, and hand grinder in one drawer. Plates, bowls, utensils, and extra butane in another. The other two were filled with snacks and food. Butane stove I places between the fridge and drawers. Still fits my 2x 2 memory foam mattresses.

PXL_20230417_002741712.jpg

PXL_20230412_161711343.jpg PXL_20230417_002942297.jpg
PXL_20230326_151031335.jpg

Wisconsinite762

Looks great! I'll definitely be taking some inspiration from this for my '06. Like you I have a long list of wants, but this looks like the perfect amount of function for what I will be using it for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior