2005 Tundra with 165k, Thoughts?

rruff

Explorer
Yes. When most of our family and friends come to visit we like to show them our beautiful state (Arizona) including areas that require some offroading.
People keep telling me "just get a bigger truck" or "just get an SUV" but I think those options are stupid as 95% of the time it's just the wife and I, and we really enjoy sleeping in the bed of the truck.

Think you might also consider a different approach for the sleeper, like a small slide-in camper or popup.

DSC_0008.jpg

PHeller

Adventurer
My family has a Pop-Up trailer, I've spent plenty of nights in it. When it gets windy, I prefer the crude hard sides of my Snugfit Shell.

I also like that with something like a Leer DCC, ARE DCU, Workmate or Callen Camper, I can leave the canopy on all the time, keep my bikes inside, etc. Light, fast and ready to go.

If I going to spending lots of time (more than just weekends) in a camper, I'd be looking at a diesel crew cab truck with 8' bed slide-in or Chassis Mount camper. The biggest issue with having a separate camper (or vehicle) is that I just don't have the space to keep another "thing" at my house. I've got a single car garage and barely enough driveway for two vehicles. Even with a driveway expansion I won't really have the proper space for a trailer or slide-in.

I noticed that some people have modified the seat angle of the rear seats on a Double Cab Tundra with mixed results. Some people said that additional seat angle, especially on the 2nd Gen Tundra DC really helps make it much more comfortable, but it's still cramped with 6' driver and 6' passenger on the same side. I don't expect that to happen very often, so a 2nd Gen DC might work for me.

rruff

Explorer
I also like that with something like a Leer DCC, ARE DCU, Workmate or Callen Camper, I can leave the canopy on all the time, keep my bikes inside, etc. Light, fast and ready to go.

I don't think you'd find anything for sale but it wouldn't be hard to make a shell that fits your truck with the tailgate down, giving you a good deal more length.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I've never sat in the back of either generation of Tundra Double Cab. Do the newer 07+ DC Tundra models have features in the 34.7" rear seat that makes them more comfortable than the older 37.5" 01-06 DC Tundra, despite less legroom overall?
I have n '05 DC Tundra and find the back seat comfortable. I have a friend who is 6'4" and at least 250 lbs. He rode in my back seat bird hunting this last fall and said he had plenty of room and the seat was very comfortable.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
For what it's worth, Last August, I bought my 2005 doublecab SR5 TRD Off Road in excellent condition, 1 owner, lady driven, 132,000KMS with most maintenance records, tonneau, winter tires, bull bar, and flood lights for $15,000 CDN. It hasn't had the timing belt done yet though. I feel I did all right on the price.

My friend is a hair under 6'4" and 200lbs and he had no problem in the back seat. It's the only vehicle between me and my girlfriend and it suits our needs pretty well. I like the truck very much, almost as much as the 2011 GMC Sierra I used to have. My biggest gripe is the that I can't fold up the back seats and have a flat floor like most half ton trucks. Even current gen Tundras other than the crew max don't really have this option. Huge failure on Toyota's part imho.

Last edited:

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
New 1st gen tundra DC owner. 6'4" 240lbs. I fit in the back seat behind the driver when set for me. Very comfortable. It's thirsty, but comfortable on and off road.

Just about perfect size and power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior