2006 HSE

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Found a 2006 HSE for sale that I am considering. It has 131,000 miles and is at $9999.

It will be a DD, as I have an 01 Cherokee for the trail. This truck would be used to pull the Jeep to trailheads and just around town. I only put about 8000 miles a year on my current DD.

Anything I should be concerned with? I've read about the air suspension issues/coil spring swap. I've read to expect about $2000 a year in general maintenence. Also, near as I can tell, they share a drive train with either the Jaguar or with the F150/Navigator platform.

Any thoughts, I'd be much obliged.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I bought an 06 with 115k(now at 131k), back in Sept 2015. Since then, Ive replaced both front wheel bearings, alternator, I had one front height sensor go bad(replaced all 4 with genuine LR parts sourced from ebay for the price of 1), Ive now got the cracked dash where the airbag is, just fixed the dry-rotted sunroof drain in the drivers side footwell. Does the owner have records of maintenance/repairs? There are plenty of guys here with way more experience regarding used LR3s, but Idn really want to know what work has already been done on it. I believe DiscoDavis had a writeup, or a link to a writeup of the most common issues. Ill see if I can dig that up and repost.

I think if the owner can supply a solid record of things and youre already aware of the EAS components/potential for failure, the price doesn't seem way off for the mileage.

Exploder
I have to ask, as this is a pet peeve of mine: an HSE what? LR3, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, even a Freelander?

HSE is a trim level, not a model :sombrero:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Also, near as I can tell, they share a drive train with either the Jaguar or with the F150/Navigator platform.

Any thoughts, I'd be much obliged.

LR3/D3 has the same drivetrain as the RRS, but different wheelbase I think. No to Jaguar, it has a Jag motor (great thing), but nothing from drive train. F150 has leaf springs in the rear... so no also. Dana made the diffs, Magna Steyr made the transfer case, etc. Not badly designed, if not expensive to maintain.

Ideally have a pile of money to get one in good shape, or get lucky and find a jewel. Find one with a complete service history or be prepared for some wild curveballs to break.

Excellent drivers, just make sure you know how the cooling system works and change the oil on time. They like to go through diffs if you don't catch oil going bad quick enough, and tires don't last long without regular alignments. That said, they're priced pretty well these days so throw a few grand into one and you'll still have a class-beating wonder machine.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I have to ask, as this is a pet peeve of mine: an HSE what? LR3, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, even a Freelander?

HSE is a trim level, not a model :sombrero:

Having owned nothing by Jeeps since 1999, I wasn't aware of that. My bad.

Anyway, took one look and as soon as I got out of my Jeep my bad news radar was on alert and it didn't fail me. After seeing the state of the paint, I didn't have high hopes. The dealership was closed and the doors were all locked, but the passenger side door opened anyway. The dash was cracked near the passenger side airbag. It also didn't have a factory tow package. I walked away.

Any regarding that deal about sharing a drive train with the Fords - I read that on a forum somewhere. I was SURE it was true...after all I read it on the internet.

Thanks for all your responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12