2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 SE

drcoopster

Adventurer
Around 135k miles. It's cosmetically fair (but no rust or body damage) and mechanically good except for the front lower control arm bushings. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country (again) today. I bought it to go on trips, and that's primarily what it was used for. I'd guess that 90% of the miles I put on it are on highways and backcountry roads, often loaded up for camping and towing a motorcycle. It has been taken down plenty of forest service and dirt roads, but never rock crawling or on anything mildly technical. Before I bought it, it spent its life as a suburban mall crawler in Fort Lauderdale. No accidents while I owned it, and none before that that I'm aware of. I can PM the VIN if you want to run a check.

Click here for a bunch of pictures.

The good, bad, and [mostly] ugly, in no particular order:
  • engine is good (4.4L V8), regular (~5000 miles) oil changes with synthetic oil
  • doesn't leak or burn oil
  • no electrical gremlins
  • coolant level sensor is on the fritz; but it doesn't burn or leak coolant
  • transmission shifts well, but command-shift mode isn't recognized so you can't manually select gears (wasn't an issue for me even when I lived in Colorado)
  • t-case shifts fine, no funny noises
  • 18" 10-spoke wheels
  • includes IIDTool paired with the truck
  • tires have lots of life left, slightly oversize Wrangler SilentArmor, no rubbing
  • air suspension works well, no faults
  • HDC, traction control, ABS, DSC, terrain response, etc. all works
  • front wheel bearings are new
  • brakes are good, some pad left
  • air conditioning (front and rear) works
  • front lower control arms need to be replaced (worn bushing), replacement OEM control arm assemblies included
  • sunroof doesn't work (might be motor, might be switch, who knows?)
  • gas door latch is fixed
  • rear liftgate struts are new
  • one of the mirror covers is cracked
  • dash is cracked from the FL and TX sun (where the truck has spent almost all of its life)
  • all seats are in pretty good condition, no tears
  • has 3rd-row seating that folds flat into the floor
  • includes an additional set of 19" RRS wheels (which need tires)
  • paint is OK, has some scratches and a few minor door dings, but no dents, rust, or peeling
  • real frame-mounted class IV hitch (from Curt Mfg), OEM trailer wiring
  • spare tire winch is fixed
  • all glass is good, lots of sunroofs
  • hole in headliner where aftermarket flip-down DVD player used to be installed (cleanly-cut, maybe 2-3" in diameter)
  • DVD navigation system, works well but maps are a decade old (updated map DVD runs $200)
  • all stock audio system, works well, has bluetooth and voice recognition features (but no satellite radio)
  • OEM thule roof rack crossbars, with keys
  • keyfob is pretty shabby and the remote doesn't work (might be battery, might be the board, who knows?), but the key still works just fine :D
  • does not have the HD package with rear locking diff and full-size spare
  • includes a set of poly bushings for the front lower control arms (not installed)
  • averaging 16.5 mpg over the 35,000 miles that I've owned it

Located in the DFW area, asking $8000.

Last edited:

Superu

Explorer
Any interior pics and underside pics? Any rust at all along the door sills?

Also, do you know what is wrong with the sunroof ( possibly a switch/relay or confirmed bad motor) and coolant sensor? Any estimates of repair costs and do you have service records?

Been looking for an 04 Disco SE7, but this might work.

Thanks.

drcoopster

Adventurer
Any interior pics and underside pics? Any rust at all along the door sills?

Also, do you know what is wrong with the sunroof ( possibly a switch/relay or confirmed bad motor) and coolant sensor? Any estimates of repair costs and do you have service records?

Been looking for an 04 Disco SE7, but this might work.

Thanks.

I've had the interior apart to give it some cleaning, so I don't have any interior pictures fit to share. I can get some underside photos, but there's no body rust at all. This LR3 has spent its whole life in the south (FL and TX) aside from a year on the Colorado front range (and they're pretty light on the salt there).

For the sunroof, it could be either the switch or the motor. I accidentally tried to open it once when it was frozen shut, and it hasn't worked since. I'll take a closer look when I have the headliner out, but my unscientific guess that it's the motor. No blown fuses.

For the coolant level sensor, it could be a connector or it could be the sensor itself. I haven't looked into it. I just check the coolant level now and then (and it doesn't seem to be consuming or leaking any coolant) and live with the warning on the MFD (no check engine or service light illuminated for that). :ylsmoke: It's possible that a coolant flush would clear it up; it's on my to-do list but low priority compared to some of the other things.

No service records. I bought it around 100k miles, gave it an oil and filter change every few months, and pretty much nothing else until just recently (wheel bearings, spare tire winch, gas door latch, etc.).

I am looking at options to replace or repair the headliner to get rid of the stupid hole in it from a previous dealer-installed flip-down DVD player (which didn't work when I bought the truck, and just added a bunch of rattles), and possibly get already-purchased control arms installed, but the price will get bumped up a bit to reflect the improved condition. I still wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country as-is today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998