2006 Pathfinder battery

ccm00tacoma

Observer
Hey guys,

So I don't know if the dealership is taking me on a ride or what, but I've heard some questionable stuff from them about my wife's 2006 pathfinder. First, when I had it in to get a seatbelt pre-tensioner replaced (because airbag malfunction light to go off) they asked me what kind of oil I used in it. I said that I use factory filters with full synthetic oil. The service manager told me I shouldn't use full synthetic because it's too thin and will cause engine wear/noise. That is the first I've ever heard of anyone saying that. Have any of you ever heard this?

Second, the battery is giving me problems and they said that I need to bring it in to them to replace it because they have to reset the idle. I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that they have to go into the computer manually and reset it. With all the air/fuel sensors and countless other sensors monitoring idle speed, how is this not a default setting for the ECU?

So, my question is...

Do they think that I'm another idiot they can get revenue from?

-or-

Am I another idiot that thinks I know it all?

Thanks for any light you can shed guys!

-Adam

mcm4090

Explorer
The battery died on my wife's 2005 Frontier and I just replaced it in the driveway. The only thing I had to reset was the clock.

Now there are a few vehicle like chrysler that would not idle after the battery was disconnected. The only thing you have to do is hold the idle to 3,000rpm's or drive it for a mile for the ECM to relearn.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would recommend everyone be very cautious at dealership service centers right now. The vehicle sales side of the businesses are dying, so there is a lot of pressure to upsell service. I had this just happen with the Jeep. The accessory manager called and told me a bunch thing I "needed' on the EarthRoamer, etc.

I do not think this applies to the traditional mechanic/service shop. They usually stay pretty busy in lean times, as people try to nurse along their current vehicle.

Creek

Adventurer
1. I use full syn. in my 07 Xterra without issue (engine & diffs).

2. I replaced my battery with an Odyssey in my driveway...no issues.

They're full of bs...

ccm00tacoma

Observer
Great! Thanks for the quick replies everyone, looks like I'll be heading to autozone instead.....though....an optima battery wouldn't be that much extra.......then I could switch it out with my tacoma battery......I hear divorce bells...:littlefriend: :littlefriend: :littlefriend:

Thanks again everyone!

-Adam

ccm00tacoma said:
Great! Thanks for the quick replies everyone, looks like I'll be heading to autozone instead.....though....an optima battery wouldn't be that much extra.......then I could switch it out with my tacoma battery......I hear divorce bells...:littlefriend: :littlefriend: :littlefriend:

Thanks again everyone!

-Adam

Do a lot of research on Optima before you buy.

Creek said:
x2...that's why I went with Odyssey. You should also check out Die-hard batteries.
And you're the reason I went with DieHard.

DieHard Platinum is a re-badged Odyssey.

But you can (to my knowledge) only get the Platinum shipped online, or your local Sears has to order it.

Here's mine-
1014081420bl4.jpg

ccm00tacoma

Observer
Well, I ended up just getting a Duralast gold. 3 year free replacement and the price was right for being on a bit of a budget this season. Didn't have any problems idling but I did have to reset the clock/radio. Man, I can see dealerships bending the truth a bit, but to just lie to someone....pretty low. To be fair, this dealership has treated me pretty well in the past. Had a small transmission issue awhile back and they replaced the entire transmission for us, brand new, not a re-man. Also, they did some warranty work when it was out of warranty and told me not to worry about it. Thanks again for all the input guys!

-Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle