2006 Suburban 2500 lift/tires

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I picked up a decent 06 Sub 3/4 ton with a 6.0L (129K miles) 4x4 in which I will use for camping and some off-road capability. I presently have 235/85-16's on stock wheels; does anyone know if you can mount 255/85-16's on the same wheels without tire rub/clearance issues? Otherwise I'm looking at a BDS 4 1/2" lift but that would require new wheels and tires and money of course. I would like more ground clearance, but also durability/reliability is key as here in Montana, there is a lot of driving going from point A to B. Suggestions appreciated.

Also: Has anyone mounted a roof top tent to the factory roof rack bars, are they strong enough? (Thule or Yakima best?)

Pete

Burb One

Adventurer
On a 2500 you should be good with the tire size, I believe, with minimal rubbing (Equivalent to 33x10?)

I have a 1500, but think the cross bars are the same as a 2500. I don't think the stock roof rack bars are strong enough-my stock ones were easily flexed by hand. I would say you would need to go one of the aftermarkets. I have a rack on some Thule bars. I think they are rated for 150 pounds each. I would image with 2 or 3 of those you would be good for a RTT

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am looking forward to seeing what your truck looks like with some pics Pete. Also I am sure you will find a BDS lift to be a great improvement. I have BDS springs on both my rigs and they work great. Cheers, Chilli..:)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
BTW, the 255's vs the 235's will result in a whopping 1 inch of actual extra clearance under the differentials, not to mention you have more tread pattern options in the 235's. I went through the same debate with our previous truck.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
This is my 2004 2500 with 285/75-16 General Grabber AT2's on stock wheels. Truck is stock other than Bilstein 5100's and I cranked the front so it is about 2" lower than rear. Front seemed sagged when I got the truck. Rides great, I get a little rubbing on the front when turning hard and the suspension is compressed. Not bad enough that I felt like I needed to address it. I have the 4.10's in this truck and I don't think I would want to be on a tire smaller than a 33. Even with 33's the engine is spinning pretty good at freeway speeds. Well matched for poking around offroad though.

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking Burb`Kristian. You can always use a sawzall to cut away a corner of your front bumper or back of the fender if you take it easy. That is usually the place the tire will rub. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'll 2nd the vote for 285/75's. Just check the actual spec's, my 285 or 295r17 Coopers (forget which size) are much taller than they should be for those #'s.

Maybe crank the front springs a hair.

01BURB

I run 285 75 16 on m y 2001 Suburban 2500 on factory steelies. Front is cranked up just a little with no rub. On my 2006 CCLB 3500 Duramax I run 285 75 17 on H2 wheels and they do rub a little bit. I need to do the large fender mod on both vehicles just to give me a little extra room. The front suspension is the exact same for both of them.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Definitely DO NOT mount the RTT on the factory crossbars!!!! Mine got very loose just from the wind catching my paddle board! I have a large RTT on my 04 2500 suburban mounted on 3 Thule crossbars. The factory rails seem stout enough with the crossbars mounted right next to the base points, but again the factory cross bars will be disastrous.

I have 285/75R16 on factory wheels and would like 255/85 as they are narrower and taller but options are VERY limited and pricing is higher.

4 crossbars on my roof but tent sits on only 3.
bdca8e9efbd390b70f5ed5187d49d3e5.jpg

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman