2006 Toyota Tundra - BaT - 76k Miles

wadingthroughlife

Not mine; just think it's dreamy. I should (probably not) drive up to see it, since it's 45min away.

Side note on values - The BaT plot of sales is pretty fascinating to click around:

chopyourown

What’s so appealing about this generation of tundras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Originally the appeal was that they were a Toyota without the Toyota tax. As seen in the auction, that isn't the case lately.

Still, they're a smaller than average full size truck with a reliable V8, decent aftermarket support, a fairly roomy cab (compared to a Taco or similar). Pretty good base for a truck that will last for a long time and get you most places you want to go.

jlcanterbury

I owned one and I couldn't tell you. They are ok trucks they don't really do anything special, other than having a motor that runs for ever if properly maintained.

"a motor that runs forever if properly maintained"...
That perfectly explains why these are in demand.
It's a shame that modern engineering does not seem to offer any improvements in longevity. We may have much better fuel economy available in modern trucks, but reliability has been consistently lacking for most recent generations from nearly all manufacturers including Toyota.
I personally think this generation of Toyota is the sweet spot in the current progression of vehicle technology. They are 'modern enough', comfortable, extremely reliable, and I find the styling and sizing to be appealing (this is true for these Tundras, 1st gen tacoma, and the 3rd gen 4runner all of this era, late 90's to early/mid 00's). They have early OBDII systems for easy diagnosis but mechanically still easy enough for the common guy like me to repair myself. Computerized, but just barely.
And still at a fraction of the price of a new (large, ugly) Tundra, which it will likely still outlive, despite being 20 years old.
Shoot I think I want to buy this now...

jlcanterbury

I'll add that I agree the pricing has gotten out of control, and seems to be inflated on this BAT auction.
I still regularly see very nice examples of these going for under $15k in nice enough condition. That V8 is a solid motor ( for as long as gas prices remain reasonable.)

Moyshe Kapoyer

It's a shame that modern engineering does not seem to offer any improvements in longevity. We may have much better fuel economy available in modern trucks, but reliability has been consistently lacking for most recent generations from nearly all manufacturers including Toyota.
I personally think this generation of Toyota is the sweet spot in the current progression of vehicle technology. They are 'modern enough', comfortable, extremely reliable, and I find the styling and sizing to be appealing (this is true for these Tundras, 1st gen tacoma, and the 3rd gen 4runner all of this era, late 90's to early/mid 00's). They have early OBDII systems for easy diagnosis but mechanically still easy enough for the common guy like me to repair myself. Computerized, but just barely.
And still at a fraction of the price of a new (large, ugly) Tundra, which it will likely still outlive, despite being 20 years old.
While I see your point, you have to realize that any vehicle that age is going to need repairs.

A 1st Gen tundra is nothing more than a slightly beefed up Tacoma, with a V8. They can't hold up to much abuse. Mine struggled to pull a 6k boat out of the water and had to have the rear axle rebuilt once under warranty and once by me. The transmission was also pretty frail.

My 21 Tundra does everything better than my 02 Tundra did and gets the same pathetic gas mileage...lol.

Last edited:
Couldn’t have said it better. If you know, you know…

rruff

Explorer
A few of the 5.7s in the 2nd gen have gone >1,000,000 miles. This guy did it in 2007 (2nd gen) with the 4.7, and is closing in on it with a 2014 with the 5.7. https://www.motor1.com/news/702983/2014-toyota-tundra-million-miles/

I don't think there is anything magic about any of them. A big V8 that is well designed and cared for will last a long time, but any 20 year old or high mileage vehicle (used like a normal person would) will likely have issues of some kind.

Last edited:

rawtoxic

I have a 2004 sr5 3.4 v6 5spd manual tundra 355k+. I live above 9000' in Colorado along divide. My daily drive is up from bottom of our road at 8000' to 9500' in 3 miles up and down that once a day. Regularly drive over Eisenhower, Mount Vernon and Floyd Hill grades entire life. Owned since new, parked outdoors entire life, never been to car wash, beat the living hell out of the truck and it keeps coming back for more. Oil changes every 5k with regular valvoline. I had to order it from the dealer because they didn't have any v6 5speeds 4x4 sr5's in stock I was told It was a 1 in 1000 truck order at the time the sales guy asked me like 3 times if I was sure I was ordering right truck. $17.5k purchase price. The 3.4 v6 hangs around 16 mpg in the mountains on long trips in flatland I've seen 17-18. When this one dies I will buy the exact same truck.

Last edited:

nocean

Adventurer
I had a 2003 I think it was. Yes, solid engine, but they changed the truck at least 2, maybe 3 times within the time that generation of the Tundra existed. So many many of the interior and exterior parts don't overlap. You have to get a year specific dash piece that is extremely difficult to find. So it was actually very annoying to seek out very generic parts. So that side of it being a Toyota may has well have made it an imported old classic car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior