2006 Toyota Tundra - BaT - 76k Miles

djr123

What’s so appealing about this generation of tundras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you take care of them, they take care of you. True cost of ownership is peanuts. I've driven my 2001 for 14 years with ZERO issues. 'New' 2006 in driveway ready for another 14 years of trouble-free driving. Regular maintenance is very easy DIY. No comparison to US made junk. There's no better feeling than owning a vehicle that has 100% bulletproof reliability. 😎

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
"a motor that runs forever if properly maintained"...
That perfectly explains why these are in demand.
It's a shame that modern engineering does not seem to offer any improvements in longevity. We may have much better fuel economy available in modern trucks, but reliability has been consistently lacking for most recent generations from nearly all manufacturers including Toyota.
I personally think this generation of Toyota is the sweet spot in the current progression of vehicle technology. They are 'modern enough', comfortable, extremely reliable, and I find the styling and sizing to be appealing (this is true for these Tundras, 1st gen tacoma, and the 3rd gen 4runner all of this era, late 90's to early/mid 00's). They have early OBDII systems for easy diagnosis but mechanically still easy enough for the common guy like me to repair myself. Computerized, but just barely.
And still at a fraction of the price of a new (large, ugly) Tundra, which it will likely still outlive, despite being 20 years old.
Shoot I think I want to buy this now...
Time will tell if Toyota's much more complex system of small block engines pushed by two turbos will last. The new Tundra's are butt ugly with no tow hooks on most 4wd's, and the Tacoma is a bit better. Hopefully they raised the roof on the Tacoma's so I wouldn't have to sit an inch from the floor.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If you take care of them, they take care of you. True cost of ownership is peanuts. I've driven my 2001 for 14 years with ZERO issues. 'New' 2006 in driveway ready for another 14 years of trouble-free driving. Regular maintenance is very easy DIY. No comparison to US made junk. There's no better feeling than owning a vehicle that has 100% bulletproof reliability. 😎
Myself and two friends bought 2 1985 Hilux's and 1 Four Runner with the 22R engine. They all ate 1 qt of oil every 3K oil change. Toyota said "within specs". Two of us dropped it and just carried oil everywhere on a new truck. The other friend with The Four Runner walked in front of the Toyota of Carlsbad. "My truck uses 3qts of oil every 3K oil change. How about yours?" After a week part time doing this he got a new shortblock. He spoke to the tech doing the work and and he admitted Toyota got a bad batch of rings that didn't have enough tension to hug the cylinder walls enough. He was getting them in frequently. Toyota wouldn't touch them unless the owners made enough noise. My buddy and I traded in ours on domestic trucks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior