2006 Toyota Tundra DC hunting rig/family wagon/adventure mobile

KTempleton

Observer
Huntsonora. Leaning towards going the OME route with my suspension. Any chance you can get me a front center hub to fender measurement? I already have a mild lift that was on truck when I bought it. But have a feeling the coils are shot and settled back to or below stock if toytecs numbers are correct.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Just got the truck back. Definitely ball joints but I don't have a clue why it failed. I had just had them checked and the driver side is still tight. Seems ok now...

Bummer it happened. I just replaced mine with Moog's greaseable ball joints and will watch them carefully. I think the hard steering and or not returning to straight is the tell tale sign that it is about to bust. Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket? They are great trucks, too bad they have this issue.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I've never had any issues with MOOG stuff. From LBJ to TRE, MOOG is good stuff. Install the bolts properly and torque and you won't have any issues.

Glad you were OK, I can imagine that was NOT fun.

rickashay

Explorer
I am just going to throw my $0.02 in here... with this being the most failure prone point on these trucks, I would say that it's the one component I would only use OEM parts on. Got my flame suit on. lol

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I am just going to throw my $0.02 in here... with this being the most failure prone point on these trucks, I would say that it's the one component I would only use OEM parts on. Got my flame suit on. lol

I'm with you. OEM on such an important part. Saving $80 or so isn't worth ruining a vacation trip.

One thing to keep in mind is they are wear items that should be checked and replaced accordingly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I go with OEM on almost all parts but it is the OEM parts that have had a high failure rate, although the ones I just replaced at 100K looked perfect.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to Huntsonora.......

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I go with OEM on almost all parts but it is the OEM parts that have had a high failure rate, although the ones I just replaced at 100K looked perfect.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to Huntsonora.......

I guess if Toyota used moog on all their trucks. Moog would have high failure rate as well. A little unfair to say oem has a high failure rate when all their trucks comes with OEM parts. Also unfair to say Toyota is at fault after the recall has been done and the Owner doesn't maintain their vehicles. Like I have said. Suspension parts like LBJ are wear items and are to be checked and replaced accordingly. It's a crappy design and probably is the reason why they don't last that long but again if you off road your vehicle. Parts will wear faster.

You can always spend a few $1000 and buy a Solo long travel kit that replaces the LBJ to uniball.

lhanson

Adventurer
I guess if Toyota used moog on all their trucks. Moog would have high failure rate as well. A little unfair to say oem has a high failure rate when all their trucks comes with OEM parts. Also unfair to say Toyota is at fault after the recall has been done and the Owner doesn't maintain their vehicles. Like I have said. Suspension parts like LBJ are wear items and are to be checked and replaced accordingly. It's a crappy design and probably is the reason why they don't last that long but again if you off road your vehicle. Parts will wear faster.

You can always spend a few $1000 and buy a Solo long travel kit that replaces the LBJ to uniball.

I just had solo motorsports build my rear bumper on my tundra. The kit they sell is super legit and will fix the lower ball joint problem and tire fitment issues as it comes with a 3in lift spindle. The spindle is beastly and very good quality.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
I just had solo motorsports build my rear bumper on my tundra. The kit they sell is super legit and will fix the lower ball joint problem and tire fitment issues as it comes with a 3in lift spindle. The spindle is beastly and very good quality.

got some pics of the bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179