2006 xterra build question

vivithemage

Observer
Hi Vivithemage,

I have a 2007 Xterra and I have built a sleeping platform. After removing the back seats I used some bed legs cut in different length, put a frame on them and then the platform. Here are some photos :

There are two hinges allowing the front and back parts of the platform to open (you can see them on the photos). I put some plastic boxes underneath.
I'm 6'1" so the platform is too short for me but with the front seats forward and a good camping pad it works great.

I have used it many times for short or long trips alone or with my wife and I find it very convenient if you can travel light. It starts to be less funny with bad weather outside ! When we don't travel light, or with bad weather or if we plan stay longer somewhere we bring a tent with an awning along (oztent) to be able to cook, eat etc...

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

awesome mod! Are you able to put stuff underneath nicely? That looks like it'd work pretty well long term too.

pibi64

Thank you guys.

Underneath the front part of the platform I can store 2 large boxes with the food, cooking gear, camp gear + a folding table (roll-a-table) and 2 chairs (roll-a-chair) + our sleeping bags + 2 wool blankets + 1 Goal0 extreme 350 battery + the 2 2 G water containers (Rotopax) you can see on the pictures.
Underneath the rear I can store 2 "trays" with the 2 burners stove and different flat items like camping pillows, shoes, more food etc. + a GSI micro table for the stove + 2 medium boxes with all the electronics, lighting gear, camera etc. + recovery gear + 2 propane canisters + electric cable + many little items I stuff in the empty spaces !
On the two sides of the front part, as you can see on the pictures, I put a small shovel and an empty MSR 10 l water container (not pictured) a small axe and a rubber mallet + 2 1 G water bottles.

So, on the platform, we leave our partially inflated sleeping pads (which are slightly bended with the seats in driving position) + some clothes (jackets, sweaters ...) + our luggages with our personnal stuff. When we stop for camping, we put our bags on the front seats, slide the seats in the forward position and we are ready to set up camp !

I have also made some kind of insulated shutters to put on the windows (inside) with suction cups. The idea is to insulate from light when sleeping but also from cold or heat.

We have used this configuration with below freezing temperatures: it's not really confortable but it's doable. The worst, as I said before, is when it's raining or snowing !

XTorrey

Observer
Resurrecting an old thread here. :) We have two Xterras (2003 and 2006) and have camped in the back of both comfortably. For long weekends with more gear, we bring along a small tent to put everything except our clothing in. It only takes about two minutes to set up, and we spent $30 on the tent which has held up well in both the desert and the mountains during every season except snow, which just hasn't been attempted. Broken down, it's small enough to fit in the little basket with the lid on the roof rack. For a very comfortable bed, we use a full sized memory foam pad ($39 on clearance at the evil big box mart) topped with a few soft blankets and then use our sleeping bags to keep warm. If we plan to relocate, we just fold the bedding in half, put the seats back up, and load the gear into the back seat to move on to the next camp site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78