2007 / 2008 Dodge 3500 4x4

jgolden

Adventurer
What are your thoughts about a 2007/2008 Dodge 3500, 4x4, diesel, Automatic trans, SRW, 8' utlity bed, lifted with 35" tires.

I've always owned Chevy/GMC (I love the D-Max, Allison Combo) but I don't like the IFS front end, there a pain to lift and the ground clearence is too low. I need a heavier duty truck for my hobbies. Ford's are out of the question....only because of the 6.0 diesel problems

Did Dodge just come out with a new larger Cummins and what's the story with the new Auto 6 speed trans? Is a 6 speed manual a better/stronger option?

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

jg

blupaddler

Conspirator
I can't comment too much...
But, they aure seem real nice. If you are refering to the commercial version. 52 gallon diesel tank. Available PTO with the tranny. MMMMMMMM

Keep us posted if you end up purchasing one or not.

jgolden

Adventurer
That was one other question that I forgot....

What's the deal with the "commercial version / cab and chasis"??? Can you buy those as SRW?

lowenbrau

Explorer
BY all reports the Aisin 6 speed should give Allison a run for the money. I checked out a 6.7 with a six speed manual last weekend and was surprised with what they've done with the clutch pedal. Way lighter. The 03 was a real workout. The new engine brake built into the turbo seems pretty cool too. Finally the 6.7 is super quiet. Even with he hood open you hear more from the exhaust than from the engine.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
I've been very happy w/ my 04. I've always been a "Chevy Guy," but went w/ the Dodge for the some of the same reasons you listed... Ride height, Cummins engine, NV5600 manual tranny.

I've heard very good things about the latest version as people mentioned with the built in e-brake etc.

A great source for new information on the Dodge Diesel trucks is www.turbodieselregister.com.

Kyle

MegaRoamer

My first reply

I just recently made the switch from Ford to Dodge with little regrets. I would have purchase another Ford if it came with the Cummins engine. I knew that the Cummins was in for some changes because of the emissions standards so I quickly made a decision to get a tried and true 5.9L before they quite making them. The new 6.7L is built on the same block as the 5.9L but puts out the same HP and TQ as the 5.9L depending on what tranny you go with. The .8L difference is for all the emission parts that the new engine has to breath through :snorkel: . I prefer the 6 speed manual (G56) over the automatic but the new Aisin is a nice unit. The biggest complaint that I am hearing about the G56 over the previous NV5600 is the final drive gearing is lower on the G56 so at highway speed the engine RPM are 300 RPM higher at 70mph. The good news with that is putting on 35" tires puts the final drive about perfect with very little change in fuel mileage. The G56 uses an aluminum case vs. cast metal so some say its not as bomp proof. This is not the case as the G56 has been used for years in other countries in medium and heavy duty application with no problems. I know that there are still some 5.9L still on some lots (07' models with build date prevoius to Jan. 1st.) that would be the better truck to purchase IMO because of future mods to the exhaust and motor. The new engine also requires ultra low sulfer diesel, so driving to Mexico where regular diesel is still being used might reak havoc with the 6.7L.

Good luck with your decision making and I hope this helps,

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179