2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 & Outfitter Apex 8 off-road camper combo

KaiTak13

I believe 2007 was the first year of the 6.7 BLUETEC (truck in ad has the 6.7).
Yes, the 2007 BLUETEC is an ultra low sulphur diesel engine.
Personally, I'd stick with the older 5.9 Cummins diesel motor.
Looks like a beautiful truck.

btggraphix

Observer
Hey guys - you are too quick for me. I was going to post a thread here as well. I just put up the ad yesterday for my friend. Any questions if you don't want to call Janet I can either answer or ask her.

btggraphix

Observer
That would be perfect for what I am looking for, just wish it was a motor that would run B100 without having to do the full DPF delete thing/etc. We can get totes of B100 (not WVO) here in phoenix, az.

Yeah, that's true. I guess if you have plans for international travel it would be especially important. When we were getting ready to purchase our Kodiak I was initially wanting pre-08 (in GMC land) for the pre-DPF/DEF stuff. But then we went and looked at an 08 when it was below zero (F) pretty late in the evening. The sales guy started it up and we walked and around it and stood and talked for 15 minutes or more and I was amazed at how there basically seemed to be no fumes or smell. It changed my mind a bit since we do a lot of high mountain and cold weather camping. So I basically decided I wouldn't really care much one way or the other and I wasn't going to let it be a determining factor in our decision. With the Kodiak we bought (05) and with that down-turned exhaust tip in the middle of the bed warming it up from very very cold the cloud of soot and smoke can envelop the whole camper more than I'd like. I kind of like the smell of diesel in the morning and all, but my wife not so much. If I could I'd trade it for a post emissions version (and get that extra 6th gear!) I would in a heartbeat.

So if you are certain you need pre-07 then probably not for you. But wow, a 6 year old Dodge with less than 26,000 on the ODO? I wonder what a dealer would try to sell it for?

I did come across an old trip report of mine where we went with them in their Camper/Dodge plus their Jeep TJ. Not too much about the Dodge/Outfitter combo but might be interesting reading for someone looking at this combo.

Trip Report - Canyonlands Needles District

Here's the best shot of their camper when they were coming back from scouting campsites on the Lockhart Basin road:

jzb3nl.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
That would be perfect for what I am looking for, just wish it was a motor that would run B100 without having to do the full DPF delete thing/etc. We can get totes of B100 (not WVO) here in phoenix, az.

Wouldn't be in any great hurry to do any DPF delete on this or any other 6.7........

"All 6.7 Liter DPF Delete tuning products are STRICTLY FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. According to the EPA Clean Air Act, they are illegal for use on any Federal, State, or Local public highways and illegal use is punishable by the penalties enacted by the mentioned laws."(http://www.puredpfdelete.com/catalog/dodge/)

This is the coolest rig ever tho, as is!

btggraphix

Observer

This is the coolest rig ever tho, as is!

I know I am a little biased because I am trying to help Janet, but still.....I surely do agree! If I had any friends that were looking for an off-road camper and truck I would be telling them to jump on it in a heartbeat. She has gotten a few serious inquiries as well as confirmation the price is completely fair from a number of sources. So if anyone here is serious about it, you should give her a call, soon.

I talked with her about bringing it down to the ExPo as I figured it would be a perfect place to show it but that didn't work out (though we sure enjoyed being there.)

3500-OutfitterwoJacks3.jpg

3500-OutfitterwoJacks2.jpg

oJacks.jpg

I'd forgotten there was another technical description of the rig in one of those trip reports.....it's a little different than the list on the CL add:

Truck Info: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty QC SB SRW 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, 9.25 AAM front axle/11.50 AAM rear axle with AAM TracRite-GT limited slip differential (gear type), factory exhaust brake, 35x12.50 Toyo Open Country M/T tires mounted on Dodge Power Wagon 17x8 forged aluminum wheels, Tuff Country 2.5" front leveling kit, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (with in-cab controls, compressor & tank), Rancho RS9000XL shocks, full array of Power Wagon skid plates, Defiant front Rock Shield, Defiant/Radflo steering stabilizer, Defiant steering box sector shaft support assembly, Amp Research power retractable running boards, Buckstop Baja front bumper with Warn 16.5ti 16,500 winch, 6" PIAA 580 driving lights, and 4" PIAA 510 fog lights, Road Armor rear bumper with PIAA back-up lights, and Line-X sprayed-in bedliner with Line-X Xtra Kevlar overcoat.

TC Info: 2007 customized & modified Outfitter Apex 8 pop-up camper with extended cab-over, 220W solar, Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E MPPT controller, twin 6 volt T-145 Trojan batteries, Xantrex Prosine 2000W inverter/converter/charger, Honda EU2000i generator, Tundra fridge, Polar Cub A/C with remote digital thermostat/controls, Suburban 20K BTU furnace, Atwood XT water heater, ShurFlo Extreme 4 variable speed water pump, Thetford toilet, shower, 44 gallon fresh/16 gallon gray/16 gallon black water tanks, Suburban cook top with oven, microwave, front/rear Fantastic fans, Happijac tie-down system with Fast Guns, electric Happijac jacks, side/rear awnings, and AM/FM/CD/iPod stereo system with inside & outside speakers. Off-road travel modifications include removal of front & rear jacks, reinforced front & rear tie-down turnbuckle anchor points, positive closure latches for selected doors/drawers, enhanced tie-down system for Honda EU2000i generator, and rear-mounted 5-gallon diesel/5-gallon gas Scepter (NATO style) fuel containers.

Misc Info:
- All Toyo Open Country tires inflated to maximum pressure of 65 psi (never had the need to air down off-road due to no loss of traction at any point on the trip).
- Rear Firestone Ride-Rite air bag inflation: drivers side = 65 psi, passenger side = 50 psi (in light contact with factory overload springs).
- As part of the Part 5 trip report write-up, I will include a comprehensive list of the tools, spare parts, recovery gear, and other items I took along for this trip.

travisunderwood

My point was about being able to run 100% biodiesel which may be possible in this truck after a bit of research.

Another random question - with the camper extended off the back, is it possible to tow a trailer? Need a way to haul a trailer. Options for putting a rack on the top? Also need to haul bikes, surf boards/etc. Still contemplating this and looking into the $$

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
My apologies to you.....was not trying to be controversial or rude!

anyway.....re your:..." is it possible to tow a trailer? Need a way to haul a trailer."

I think I saw that this combo does come with some kind of a hitch extension, as part of the misc gear included. Don't know though how much weight you can haul with a 2 foot bar extension sticking out from under the camper. Flex, sway and metal fatigue issues would need to be looked at I think.

Good luck with your comps........I want this too but really need to sell my big camper van first!

Last edited:

travisunderwood

Weren't rude at all! It is sold! We were going to try and get it this week, but not fast enough on the draw! Congrats to the new owner. Sweet rig!

btggraphix

Observer
Hey guys - thanks again for the interest. Travis is right, there were two solid offers as of Friday evening and we closed off the sale and Janet gave each an even chance at making a deal (kind of a sealed bid equal oppurtunity offer) and everyone ended up happy. I am not going to close this completely off until the new party has consumated the deal at the bank in Moab. This should actually be today if all goes right.

When there is a great deal like this on a great truck you have to jump at it! She did not want to drag things out or get into some kind of bidding war. She wanted to find a good home for it, to somebody who would appreciate all that was put into this rig, and get a fair price for it. I tried to make sure to provide all the links I could to Don's various posts on it. If you read between those lines, you'd understand just how much love and care Don put into setting this rig up.....something like that makes you pretty comfortable with what you are buying....at least I'd hope so.

I don't want to disclose too much in the way of details, but it is being bought by somebody who spends most of her time at incident command centers for major wildfires. She needs to get way back in the boonies, and be able to get out FAST and SAFELY, and has gotten tired of sleeping on the ground. Both buyer and seller seem to be ectstatic about how it all worked out. I hope the new buyer might stick around the expedition portal or rv.net and tell us about their use of it and all that, but who knows.

*As far as the towing thing, I think there was a small amount of leftover axle/gvw capacity on the truck side....so some tongue weight would be OK. A 3,000 to 5,000 trailer (300-500 tongue weight) would probably have been feasible but probably pushing it a bit. They had it set up for flat towing where essentially no tongue weight is added. The extension was an over/under heavy duty unit (from Reese I think) so it all should have worked well. A 2 foot extension isn't so bad....start getting into the 3 and 4 footers and then you get some serious 'escalated' tongue weights because of the lever arm......) I don't think something like our flatbed trailer with dirt bikes (2,000 or so total) would be any problem at all behind it. But, the bottom line is you would need to weigh the rig, with the extension and the trailer (ideally together to avoid the complicated computations) to really say for sure.

In any case, I will update this thread once I know 100% for sure the deal went through. Thanks for considering this rig. It was likely a dream rig for a lot of people, and it certainly was for Janet and Don. I hope it remains so for the new buyer. Congratulations to you if you read this!!!!! I know you will be happy with it, and thanks for doing what you do.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This ad, the picture and info links attached to it and the detailed info in the ad itself stand out as one of the reasons why it is so great to have this forum to scan and read.

This combo was the absolute bomb and it killed me to miss out on it cause I was busy negotiating the prelims to the sale of my house in Montana this week , and I just could not get to La Sal to see the rig in person.

Janet was the most gracious and helpful seller ever in promptly getting me extra pics of the combo though.

Seeing the incredible pics of the beloved vehicle and the fantastic places she and her hubby went in it really made me feel for her--for loss of her husband, but at the same time this all also reminded me once again how important it is for couples and friends to get out and explore, and create great lasting memories of their time together as they share outdoor adventures.

Thank you Janet and "btggraphix" for these incredibly inspiring postings.

Best of luck and good times to the new owner....and yeah, please send us some pics of your back road travels too!

G. Bailey now in Arizona

btggraphix

Observer
Sooooooooooo.......we have a proud new owner of a wonderful vehicle of exploration and discovery! Sale is final. Happiness and tears all around. I think Don would be very proud, and happy as well.

Thanks GBail. Funny how I've had a number of really nice emails from people about the listing...both commenting about the plethora of information and good summary (lists were mostly curtousy of Don/Janet, not me!) as well as about some of those older threads and posts from Don and from myself over on rv.net. As those that followed the breadcumbs might have found, there's a lot of stuff over there. :) I've been a pretty good contributer over there to the TC (Truck Camper) forum, but not much over here. That may change after the expo this year where we had a very strong showing from the rv.net TC'ers. But I've picked and poked and occaisionally contributed here and there. In any case, I think a few people may have followed those crumbs to a pretty emotional post I made about Don. I did not want to point out to the causal reader of this thread, that Don had suddenly passed and Janet was selling the rig on her own, without Don's help. Not something you want to advertise as a seller.

Having said that, gbail's comment above, and a PM I got from one of the other people where he said:

"Thank you for that…it was quite moving, even to an old soldier like me. Friends are the essence of life and I feel an attachment with all you expressed.

Strange how Blogging and Tweeting etc have, at once, made us both more distant as well as potentially richer in personal associations."

Really means a lot to me. Thank you Paul. And it IS an interesting dichotomy. I guess you came here idly looking at a dream rig for sale, but maybe left with a little fleeting knowledge and attachment to a really special dude, Don Curley, and his very special wife Janet? Maybe so! He and Janet have been an inspiration to my wife and I, and still are.

It may seem like an odd place (a 4 sale thread!) from which to be pointing you all towards sort of memorial I wrote about Don over on rv.net, but as far as I can tell he never joined the portal, so I guess I'll do it here. If you have followed this for sale thread, and picked up the clue from gbail about what happened to Don......you might as well get some closure on the story. I'm not going to repost it here, but here is a link for you to maybe get to know Don a little better. I sent it to a few who contacted me directly, but I did not want to muddy up the for sale thread until after it sold.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26749932/gotomsg/26790261.cfm#26790261

That goes to my individual post on the thread. Read the rest of the thread also if you'd like. Hope you enjoy it. I wasn't planning on passing it out here (since "here" isn't quite as much "home" as rv.net\TC is) but obviously some people have already been a bit touched by it and enjoyed it. What the heck, once it is on the internet, the whole world knows about it anyway, right?

BT
(Brian)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle