2007 F150 FX4 for a 2012 Taco?

Robert B

Adventurer
Now, that I have my F150 built nearly the way I like it, I'm thinking of trading it for new Taco. The F150 is an FX4 SCREW 6-1/2' bed with King Racing Shocks, 35" tires, Edge Evolution tuner, a set of HID off-road lights, inverter, DVD Entertainment, spray in-liner and roll top bed cover. With the Kings, it drives incredibly well in the So Cal deserts and hard pack.

So, why am I thinking of ditching it? First, it is huge. Parking it takes nearly as much effort as putting my 46' sail boat into a slip. Second, it drinks gas in huge gulps. With my heavy foot, I get 13 mpg tops. The larger tires have not impacted the mileage; it has always gotten horrible mileage. Third, the back seat is very roomy but the seat back is nearly vertical, prompting complaints of back pain from the kids on long trips.

Will a new double cab, 6' bed Taco address my concerns? How is it as a daily driver in the city? How are the Bilsteins that come the TRD option (will I have to spend another couple grand for Kings)? Is the back seat comfortable for long drives (10+ hours -- San Diego to Tahoe)? If you have gone from a full size to a Taco, what are you giving up? Any regrets?

Thanks

p nut

butter
I've ridden in the back of both for long trips (6+ hours). Tacoma was not as comfortable. But this shouldn't be a big surprise, as it is smaller.

The most comfortable truck I've ridden in? Tundra CrewMax. Reclining rear seats with ample leg room = happy family.

i have a 2012 double cab short bed. i personally haven't sat in the back during long trips, but a few friends have and they didn't have any complaints. i love my taco. If your going to be hauling a load quite often, i would get a better suspension(new leafs mainly.)

Clutch

<---Pass
TRD suspension is horrid. First mod is to rip that crap out of there.

A double cab 6' bed Taco...is looooooong, not going to be that much different in town than your Ford. Gas mileage is "fair" for such a small truck, with your driving style I would assume you could squeeze 16-18mpg out of it...I think they are underpowered, the Tacoma sure could use 300 Hp/Tq from the factory.

Your kids are only going to get bigger. :ylsmoke:

Go test drive one and decide for yourself...test a Tundra while your at it too...

DSC00556.jpg

Last edited:

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I think going from an F150 to a Tacoma you are going to be disappointed by the power. Not sure how important that is to you. I have driven both and the F150 gas pedal response makes the Tacoma feel gutless. In 2007 I test drove an F150FX2 SCREW and a Tacoma DC (both new) and ended up buying the F150 purely for the power.

However, fast forward 5 years, and I now have a Tacoma DC. The power is not as important to me anymore. Size and capability are more so.

I would do as others have suggested; go test drive one.

Robert B

Adventurer
Thank you for the replies and advice. I plan to go for a test drive with the kids to see how they fit. My F150 feels pretty weak to me (my DD is an M3), so if a Taco feels gutless in comparison, that would not be good.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Have you considered finding a nice slightly used first generation Tundra? I have an '05 Double Cab and I am running BFG E rated 265X70 17s ATs. I just calculated my last tank of gas @ 17.1 mpgs. That gives me safely a 365 mile range on the highway. Now I do try to keep it under 70 mph. The power is good at 283 hp and 325 ft. lbs. of torque. The back seat is great. My kids will ride back there all day and never complain. I have three kids 10, 8, and 5. My truck is as long as a Ford Excursion, but has a 6 1/2' bed. I don't have any complaints except that I don't have enough money to modify it the way I would like. If you went this route you'd probably end up saving money. You should be able to find one for less than your current truck.

Edit: I did not calculate my mileage correctly. My speedo is off by 8%. When my speedo says 61 I'm actually going 65. The correction would mean I am getting 18.5 mpg.

Attachments

• may-june 2011 216-01.jpg
    may-june 2011 216-01.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
  • may-june 2011 231-01.jpg
    may-june 2011 231-01.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Robert B

Adventurer
Not a bad suggestion. I had a Tundra extra cab, which got too small, and actually looked to buy a new double cab, but they were no longer available and the current generation Tundra had not been released yet. Thanks

daveyboy

Adventurer
I had a Ford and was looking at a long-bed, DC, Tacoma. I test drove it and the DC Tundra. I couldn't help but notice that (at the time) the Tundra was actually cheaper than the Tacoma and had much more capability for my needs. I live at ~6500' and all of my driving is 5000'-10,000', so power is definately an issue.

To cut to the chase, I bought the Tundra and love it... .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998