2007 Fuso Expedition Vehicle - Hackney Fuso

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Congratulations!

I also tried to buy the Hackney RV (again) ... timing is everything.
Nah, I'm not a hatin', much ... :)

Best of luck with the new rig!

Thanks very excited to be heading out tomorrow to pick it up. I used to live in the bay area and a good friend of mine (lots of desert expeditions together) who just quit his job on Monday is going to be able to pick me up / hang out with me. Funny how things just seem to come together sometimes.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
My congratulations as well. It seems like you did a good job of evaluating different options so you were ready to move when this unique opportunity came along. Back in the day, Doug Hackney's reports of his build and subsequent travels were one of main attractions of the Portal for many of us.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
As a result a Land Rover guy (NAS110 and P38 both in expedition trim) now has both a 2007 FE145C and a 2007 FG140.
Jon

Jon,
:wings:Congratulation !:wings:
Now if you want, you could just drive that FE145 out to the left coast and leave it at my house when you take your FG140 home :sombrero:

swiss

By chance, I had the pleasure of seeing this magnificent project first hand the other day. I also had the pleasure of meeting the new owner, who so kindly gave me a tour and allowed me to admire the fine craftsmanship, time, and planning that went into building such a vehicle. As I crested a hill in the back roads of DV and this Fuso came into view, I couldn't help but stop to appreciate such a vehicle...coincidentally, having seen it on Expo no more than a few days prior. I applaud the original builder and designer for the amount of effort put into creating such a functional and thought out expo vehicle, and I wish the new owner unmatched memories of adventures for years to come.

Jon, it was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for the hospitality, the tour, and the recommendations for future expeditions. It is always appreciated to gain insight from those that have traveled before you. I look forward to expanding my map of adventures and maybe crossing paths again in the future.

The novice in a blue Tacoma.
Andreas

pugslyyy

Well done Jon- hope to see this rig out east sometime. I know Anil hates to see it go...
Thanks Dale, made it back to NC last night. The truck needs a bit of work but is in generally good shape - now we have to get going on the FE145C 4x4 conversion which will be made easier by having the FG to go over and look at.

Jon

pugslyyy

By chance, I had the pleasure of seeing this magnificent project first hand the other day. I also had the pleasure of meeting the new owner, who so kindly gave me a tour and allowed me to admire the fine craftsmanship, time, and planning that went into building such a vehicle. As I crested a hill in the back roads of DV and this Fuso came into view, I couldn't help but stop to appreciate such a vehicle...coincidentally, having seen it on Expo no more than a few days prior. I applaud the original builder and designer for the amount of effort put into creating such a functional and thought out expo vehicle, and I wish the new owner unmatched memories of adventures for years to come.

Jon, it was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for the hospitality, the tour, and the recommendations for future expeditions. It is always appreciated to gain insight from those that have traveled before you. I look forward to expanding my map of adventures and maybe crossing paths again in the future.

The novice in a blue Tacoma.
Andreas

Hey Andreas - was great to meet you out on the Saline Valley road. One of the pleasures of traveling the back country is the folks you meet and the unexpected conversations. I don't know how many times I've stopped and had lengthy and enjoyable chats with folks I just happen to meet up with miles from pavement.

Jon

pugslyyy

Had a great almost 2 week shakedown of the 'Hackney Fuso' (as I think it will always be called) - Hung out in a friends driveway in Tahoe for 3 days getting familiar with the vehicle and then we headed out into the desert for a few days expeditioning. Mainly saw dirt in the Saline Valley and the Kaibab NF. Very rocky in Saline - banged one of the boxes pretty good so will need some repairs there! I've also learned that the rear axle is VERY HEAVY. I buried it in loose gravel and it took me 2 hours and busting out all the recovery gear to move 10 feet, mainly because it was so difficult to find a good spot to winch from.

I stayed in a campground once (Monument Valley - hard to boondock there). Otherwise just stopping wherever seemed good.

I want to say that Doug Hackney has been an amazing resource - I've called him numerous times and he has always been willing and able to help me figure things out. It is such a unique vehicle - great to have the creator of it available to answer questions about what was done and why.

Thanks Doug!

pugslyyy

A few days in the desert, in which I learned that the rear axle is extremely heavy and will rapidly dig into loose gravel. I've trained with a pull-pal before, but this was the first time I really had to use one in anger.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A few days in the desert, in which I learned that the rear axle is extremely heavy and will rapidly dig into loose gravel. I've trained with a pull-pal before, but this was the first time I really had to use one in anger.
Wow! You got the truck out with a Pull Pal?! Way to go. When I had my Unimog, I conceptually understood that someone, somewhere, might be able to unstick a big camper with a Pull Pal, but it all seemed a bit "tooth fairy" to me. I impressed to know it can happen.

And thanks for the pictures. Good to see the rig back in use as designed.

pugslyyy

Wow! You got the truck out with a Pull Pal?! Way to go. When I had my Unimog, I conceptually understood that someone, somewhere, might be able to unstick a big camper with a Pull Pal, but it all seemed a bit "tooth fairy" to me. I impressed to know it can happen.

And thanks for the pictures. Good to see the rig back in use as designed.

Thanks! I had a buddy along in another vehicle who helped drag rope a bit but it was essentially a self-recovery.

Pull-Pal and snatch block to Warn 16.5ti, with line extensions and other rigging. I didn't manage to bury the truck to the frame (which I did once with my fully loaded 110 with RTT), but I did bury it to the axles. Man that gravel was loose!

Took a while to figure out the right setup and right place to dig the anchor in, had to dig things out, build a ramp for the front wheels, etc, etc.

It was one of those things that you remember with satisfaction once you get the job done rather than enjoy while you are doing it... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle