2007 JKU maintenance - advice

JKU87

Adventurer
Hey all,

I use the expertise and advice of ExPo members time and time again and greatly appreciate all the info that is available on this forum.

Some of you have probably ready my build thread but here is a quick summary of my rig-

2007 JKU with 2.5 OME HD springs, ProComp shocks, 255/80/17 Cooper ST Maxx for rubber. I lifted it about 6 months ago and along with the springs and shocks I also installed a JKS front trackbar, new sway bars, and brake line relocation brackets.

My rig is my daily driver and I'm slowly building it as I need to. Future mods are a fridge, front bumper, winch, and a roof rack.

This truck is approaching 95,000 miles and I want to know what I should do in terms of preventative maintenance? Fluids, brakes, engine wear and tear, additional suspension components you'd recommend (steering stabilizer, control arms, etc.)

I don't have access to a garage as I live in a condo so I'd need the work done at shop. In a nutshell I would like some input on what I should do to keep my truck running strong for another 100k+

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawnr

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. My 07' has 96,000 on it and I hope to go at least another 100,000. It'll be interesting to hear what advice you receive. So far on mine, the only major issues have been a coil pack needing replaced, and a radiator a couple months ago. And thankfully, mine doesn't burn oil like some others do.

Happykamper

Explorer
Change all fluids with flush on radiator and trans. That's differential transfer case etc...
New hoses all around . Remember your being preventive.

Happykamper

Explorer
Flush brake system also. Check belts. If older than 4 years change . I'm a little OCD and do this every two years but I have my own lift so makes it more economical.
Good luck

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Drive it, keep fluids clean and replace what wears out. I have 189,000 on my 2011. Enjoyable every one! One thing I would do, is bump up to 5w40 in the motor. I did this last oil change after some discussions on another forum. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I notice more power, better fuel economy, and quieter running motor. The only thing I have to keep an eye on now is consumption. I will report back on that one. The 3.8 needs thicker oil to run properly. They watered it down when the government came out with the café rules which are a load of crap.

shawnr

Drive it, keep fluids clean and replace what wears out. I have 189,000 on my 2011. Enjoyable every one! One thing I would do, is bump up to 5w40 in the motor. I did this last oil change after some discussions on another forum. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I notice more power, better fuel economy, and quieter running motor. The only thing I have to keep an eye on now is consumption. I will report back on that one. The 3.8 needs thicker oil to run properly. They watered it down when the government came out with the café rules which are a load of crap.

Do you run the 5w40 year round?

JKU87

Adventurer
Great advice so far, guys. Thanks! My front and rear brake pads have been replaced within the past two years but I have been noticing that my brake pedal feels "spongy" lately. You think flushing the brake system would help?

Also looking at what else I should do suspension-wise along with the modifications that are already done? These things are complete dogs on the highway and would also be interested in ways to improve fuel economy and performance. Has anyone used a Superchip? Just want to reiterate that this JKU is my daily driver and is being built up to be a capable overland rig that I can rely on to take me from point A to point B without any issues etc.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Change all fluids with flush on radiator and trans. That's differential transfer case etc...
New hoses all around . Remember your being preventive.
Yes.

Flush brake system also. Check belts. If older than 4 years change . I'm a little OCD and do this every two years but I have my own lift so makes it more economical.
Good luck
Yes.

Great advice so far, guys. Thanks! My front and rear brake pads have been replaced within the past two years but I have been noticing that my brake pedal feels "spongy" lately. You think flushing the brake system would help?

Also looking at what else I should do suspension-wise along with the modifications that are already done? These things are complete dogs on the highway and would also be interested in ways to improve fuel economy and performance. Has anyone used a Superchip? Just want to reiterate that this JKU is my daily driver and is being built up to be a capable overland rig that I can rely on to take me from point A to point B without any issues etc.
You can also replace the brake lines to get rid of squishy pedal.
Brake fluid attracts water, swells the lines, degrades the rubber. Wear items to be replaced.
Battery cables are wear items; they get sulfate and other chemical nastiness in them and the current suffers.

For your suspension, what have you done for caster angle? Cambolts, drop brackets, control arms? Your style of driving/use of vehicle dictate how to upgrade that. I like drop brackets (Rubicon Express, AEV, Rancho) for overland style driving.

I used Superchips on my 2008 autotrans; it is a big benefit. Better shifting, cooler running, peppier, better fuel economy.

Not a bad idea to take a look at your axle bearings/seals now too. Bushings in the front end. All the parts that move.

I've run a number of vehicles to well over 400,000 miles. PMs are everything if you don't want down time.

JKU87

Adventurer
Hilldweller, when I lifted my rig I also installed a front trackbar, sway bars, and brakeline relocation brackets. This is my daily driver so most of the time my rig is on pavement but I am building it to be a capable overland rig and not a rockcrawler that has a 6" lift and 40" tires.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller, when I lifted my rig I also installed a front trackbar, sway bars, and brakeline relocation brackets. This is my daily driver so most of the time my rig is on pavement but I am building it to be a capable overland rig and not a rockcrawler that has a 6" lift and 40" tires.
I understand ---- that's why I suggested the drop brackets.
You're running nearly what I have....

daveh

Adventurer
It did feel a bit tighter than the oem unit and my oem only had about 20k on it when I swapped it out. Make sure though that all of your other steering parts are not worn though before adding a new stabilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998