2007 Megacab (no name yet)

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Sunday was a free fishing day in Oregon, so we picked up my mom and sister and took them with us to Jubilee Lake. It was a wonderful 80 degrees, sunny, a ton of people there. It was not so wonderful when we dropped back into town at 106 degrees.

eNrqlX6.jpg

EBdudbE.jpg

iidlwp1.jpg

of course he cast straight down the spine of this tree, so he went in for his rig lol.
opLmJMZ.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I got a Superchips F5 tuner for the truck shortly after getting it but was not working right (or at all). Going through their tech department they figured out that my truck already had some messed up tune in it, so they blew that one out and i was able to load the new tunes in yesterday. It takes of smoother now and at a lower RPM, is quieter (there was a ton of "growl" from the K&N cold air intake), right now i have it on mileage saver but have not driven it far enough to judge yet.

Anton39

I was holding off until i did more to it but im bored at work so lol.

Say good bye to the TJ

onnXZjG.jpg

and hello to the new Megacab

rpRhKGo.jpg

K54SqkY.jpg
(as you can see, we like our megacabs)

Its a 2007 (air quotes) "1500" megacab with the Hemi 5.7. the 1500 gets the air quotes because All 3rd generation Mega Cab 1500's are a 3/4 (as in 2500) ton truck with a slightly reduced GVW. The frame, axles, brakes, wheels, are all 3/4 ton Dodge parts. This was a ploy by Dodge to trick some people into thinking they were buying a 1/2 ton truck because Dodge did not actually have a big cab available that was built on the IFS 1500 Ram platform. At the most the spring rates may be softer than a 3/4 ton Mega Cab.

The TJ was just too small, the wife hated riding in it, and our Diesel megacab was having some injector issues and if it broke down then we had nothing else to pull our trailers. I would have preferred another Cummins but that adds an easy $10K to the price and about 200K more miles. So i stripped some things off the jeep (winch, sub, soft top), left the light bar (even though it was an expensive light bar i was never impressed with it and had more light output from some china ones).

Upgrades so far
a superchips flashpaq 5 tuner
K&N true cold air intake
added the self-powered sub from the TJ (truck was pre-wired)

right now i am working on a new tent rack that will be able to move from truck to truck with my new 270 degree awning.

Hi, I also have a hemi engine and I was wondering how is the superchips flashpaq 5 tuner holding up? I'd be needing to install a tuner because I want a more responsive throttle. I am half thinking also of getting a diablo sport tuner I've seen here: Charger Tuners 2021 | Best Dodge Charger Performance Chips - DODGEgo.com and seem to have a good review to install on my Hemi. I'd be hauling a car trailer and I think it would need an increase in horsepower.

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't know if you have the ability to do it...but if you can get a custom tune you'll have much better results over those "canned tunes" offered by Superchips.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Hi, I also have a hemi engine and I was wondering how is the superchips flashpaq 5 tuner holding up? I'd be needing to install a tuner because I want a more responsive throttle. I am half thinking also of getting a diablo sport tuner I've seen here: Charger Tuners 2021 | Best Dodge Charger Performance Chips - DODGEgo.com and seem to have a good review to install on my Hemi. I'd be hauling a car trailer and I think it would need an increase in horsepower.

There was a change in throttle response over what was already in it, I didn't notice any change in mileage even while using the mileage saver tune. I don't have complaints about it but honestly I kind of forget it is tuned. If you have the money and ability, go with a custom tune. If you just want to be able to make small changes and don't have a ton of money, its fine.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Looks like my last update on this was in August, have not really done much with the truck besides drive it to work and back. Have not had any issues with it except a rear pinion seal that started weeping last week, easy fix though.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
several weeks ago I hit a good sized rock in the road and had a vibration between 65-70 MPH, then I noticed some wear on the inside of the front tires indicating the toe was off, I already knew I had a loose balljoint so I ordered up all new steering linkage and ball joints. Couple weeks ago I replaced all the steering linkage and steering stabilizer, while doing that I noticed a coolant leak starting. Every once in a while I could smell antifreeze but never seen any leaking... until now lol. Saturday I changed out the water pump and thermostat, it was uneventful except for trying to get the fan clutch off.

Hoping this Saturday I can change out the balljoints and the truck will be good to go again.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Well the ball joints finally need done lol. hit a bump going over 60 and death wobble. I have had a cheap set of ball joints for over a year now but just couldn't bring myself to install something I didn't think would last. Yesterday I got a quote from a local shop to do the work... $2555 today i ordered good ball joints lol. XRF ball joints with a million mile warranty.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I couldn't put it off any longer, after over a year I finally got off my butt and did it. were heading to PNW overland expo and the ball joints needed done. getting the wheel bearing assembly off the knuckle was the biggest pain in the ********, I ended up having to put one of the hub bolts back in with a socket and extension and use the power steering pressure to push the hub off but I had to keep alternating the bolt around the holes to do it. so now I have a bent bolt, I am waiting for a new one to show up in the mail.

picture as proof I actually did something on this truck lol
4YkdhJn.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Put the new ball joints in the driver side yesterday, had to get a new hub assembly because I destroyed the old one getting it off. ABS sensor goes out in the new hub 50 miles down the road and I have to return the whole hub for warranty, they wont just give me a new ABS sensor

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
we made it to the PNW overland expo in Redmond, OR

it was a pretty good location with good views

bnpXQpE.jpg

we got to meet some of our favorite youtubers

I8jOeJN.jpg

i won a drawing for a solo stove and got a ton of free swag.

of course we cant go to the Bend area without stopping at Shaniko

LqkTy0y.jpg

g0JYEte.jpg

pznupKO.jpg

of course we have to get ice cream there

8mITroK.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
it was a last minute mad dash getting things ready, got new tires put on it Thursday night, had to change the rack plans at the last minute and go with the old rack that i then had to modify for the new awning Friday morning (and they close the entrance at 5 and its a 4 hour drive). we were in Biggs at the signal light and a fully loaded sprinter van next to us was having troubles so we DRUG him through a double intersection and down a side road. i say drug because his trans or rear axle was locked up, so im looking in my rear view mirror at his tires just sliding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12