2007 Taco camera system

mmtoy

Adventurer
Hello, all. I've been a frequent lurker, but have seldom posted. I'm slowly (ever so slowly) building up my Tacoma to be a usable field-work and family-expedition vehicle.

I think the taco is one of the best platforms to build from (especially for my purposes), but the newest tacos are just sooooo big! The reasons for why I purchased the '07 instead of a pre-05 aside, DW and I decided that we needed to do something about the visibility issues on the truck (especially with the addition of a camper shell).

So, I dug around here and a few other sites and found bajataco's write-up about the camera system he had installed. This was done by TotalVision, a Tucson-local business, so I lucked out there. I emailed Rod at TotalVision, got to chatting about what would work best for my needs, and within three weeks (schedules!), I've got a brand-new camera system in my truck. :)

I haven't played with it very much (just got the truck home today), but the work is solid. Here's one picture (the glare under normal driving conditions is nothing like seen by the camera). You can see the rest at http://picasaweb.google.com/Mmmtoy/CameraSystemFromTotalVision

DSCN1866.JPG

If you'd like me to write more here or to put more images on this site, let me know... I'm also happy to answer any questions.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
nice set up. I think the pass side cam is intersting but it will be miricale if it stays on there.

mmtoy

Adventurer
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a bit worried about the side-cam. I consider that one still to be a work-in-progress. The guys at TotalVision weren't very positive about the placement either, but they put it there because I wanted to try it. I suppose I could reposition it to under the truck, looking out toward the wheel, but I'm going to leave it where it is for now. It gives a great view of the right side of the truck as-is, which is what I really wanted.

I've got a work-trip to Moab next week and I may get a chance to try it out (yuck: to be in Moab stuck in a conference room all weekend!).

mmtoy

Adventurer
Price is probably anywhere from about $1k to 1.5k, depending on what you want. While certain parts and parts-installation (nose-cam, wiring harness, for example) are probably constant across all trucks of a given model year, there will likely be customer desires that make each installation mostly custom.

While $1--$1.5k might seem like a lot to some people:
1) Consider how much it would be to repair your child's broken arm.
2) Consider how much it would be to repair your neighbor's child's broken arm.
3) Consider the cost of repairing/replacing a quarter-panel (if you bother).
To me, this is much more tangible insurance than the automotive insurance industry's "product."

Also, while I have no doubt I can do the labor myself, it's completely unclear whether I would have ever gotten around to doing more than purchasing a camera and monitor and letting them sit for too long... I love working on my truck, but right now I'm just beginning to look forward to work weeks with as few as 40-50 hours. This labor cost was worth it to me.

:)

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Please dont take this the wrong way, its a very nice set-up, and im sure the work is flawless, but with a little imagination its a very easy (and cheap) thing to do.

I set my truck up with a front and rear cam (water proof with night vision), & 7 inch monitor for under $250.00. I have had it installed about a year now with no problems whatsoever, and I cant imagine driving the truck without them, on or offroad. Its easily expandable, but I honestly dont think I need any more cams at this point.

After installing the monitor, I also got talked into (by my wife) installing a DIN sized 12v DVD player, and I also will be using the monitor for my Garmin GPS box.

I personally would have a hard time spending 1.5K on a simple camera system, especially with the way electronics have gotten so cheap and easy to install. Just posting this up for the guys who might not have that kind of cash to drop on a system, but want it. It is doable for a fraction of the cost. Ebay is your friend, just do your research.

~James

Willman

Love the camera's on the side of the truck!

Get setup!

Now the camera's are in place.....Whats your goals for this sweet rig?

Oh and Welcome to the ExPo!

mmtoy

Adventurer
stumptaco said:
Please dont take this the wrong way, its a very nice set-up, and im sure the work is flawless, but with a little imagination its a very easy (and cheap) thing to do.

I set my truck up with a front and rear cam (water proof with night vision), & 7 inch monitor for under $250.00. I have had it installed about a year now with no problems whatsoever, and I cant imagine driving the truck without them, on or offroad. Its easily expandable, but I honestly dont think I need any more cams at this point.

After installing the monitor, I also got talked into (by my wife) installing a DIN sized 12v DVD player, and I also will be using the monitor for my Garmin GPS box.

I personally would have a hard time spending 1.5K on a simple camera system, especially with the way electronics have gotten so cheap and easy to install. Just posting this up for the guys who might not have that kind of cash to drop on a system, it is doable for a fraction of the cost. Ebay is your friend, just do your research.

~James

I completely understand. And in nearly any other instance, I would have done the same as you. I've been researching this for quite some time, and I think I could have put together essentially the same four-camera system for around $3-500 plus time. However, several things made it easy for me to pay for this.

1) I wanted it done. I have the knowledge ability to put something like this together, there's no question in my mind. The question was when would I have the time. Right now, my time is more valuable than my money. Not because I'm cash-rich, but because I'm time-poor.

2) I wanted certain things done cleanly. I do not have the attention to fine detail, like building the mounts for the camper-cam or the side cam, so it would not have been as clean an install. It would have worked, but...

3) There are always "gotchas" that I didn't want to have to deal with in the future. If something goes wrong, I'll take it back to TotalVision and have them fix it. This is their business, so it's more likely that they've already handled the "gotchas."

It always comes down to the age-old debate: Do it yourself or pay someone else. There is nothing I would be afraid of trying to do on my truck (and in this case, I've been playing with electronics for a good 25 years), but it comes down to whether I have the time to spend on doing it. In this instance, I did not. <shrug> And, so far, I'm happy with the results.

I have yet to purchase sliders or a front bumper or a camper trailer, or a... because I can build them myself and time isn't an issue (which really means they'll never be done, right?)... I very much wanted this camera system in place quickly, so I used my time to make money to pay someone else to do it for me...

mmtoy

Adventurer
Willman said:
Love the camera's on the side of the truck!

Get setup!

Now the camera's are in place.....Whats your goals for this sweet rig?

Oh and Welcome to the ExPo!

Thanks for the welcome!

Buildup plans: I'm going to keep it stock for the most part. Until something breaks, I won't be replacing it. It's already got a locker in the rear, has great clearance, and is a completely, respectably capable rig right off the lot.

Real Plans (and justification for purchasing the truck):
My wife, son, and I love to camp. And by camp, I mean get away from cities/towns/people for three or more days, whether it's "real camping" or "car camping." There are a ton of places in our local neighborhood of states to visit, so we'll never run out of places to get away to (just time to do it) even if we were to stay in our backyard (we have no plans to limit ourselves, though).

I'm a planetary volcanologist, so one of our other family plans is to hit every US national park with a volcano. Most of this travel will be in the truck. Obviously, the trip to Hawaii will most likely not see the truck coming along, unless I can swing a year or two sabbatical in Hawaii ;).

I'll also be taking it along to specific volcanoes for field work. As such, it'll have to have room for samples, room for gear, and probably room for sleeping. I'm 6'1", so I need to come up with a way to fit in the short bed with all my gear but without folding myself in half just to fit...

That's the storage/sleeping buildup I need to get to planning. I am not terribly keen on a RTT (don't want to move the center of gravity too much higher than it is already). I also don't want to count on being able to drag a trailer to where-ever I'm going, so it's going to be either sleeping on the ground or sleeping in the bed. Haven't got it all planned just yet... :) That's half the fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle