2007+ Tahoe/Yukon thoughts?

eaneumann

Adventurer
I'm currently thinking about downgrading my truck to a used Tahoe/Yukon. You can get really nice police Tahoes cheap. Any thoughts on this? I need something reliable and it needs to be able to tow. I currently have a 2012 Tundra that I would hate to get rid of, but could also eliminate a payment. How is the aftermarket support on these? It's just me, the wife, and two dogs. Don't need a ton of space, but our towing requirement limits us from smaller trucks/SUVs. We tow 7-8k lbs about once a month. Eliminating the payment leaves more room for travel and mods!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is second hand, so take it for what it's worth but I'm in a similar situation (though my towing needs are lower) and my only concern with the early GMT-900 trucks is the AFM (Active Fuel Management) system, the system that supposedly improves MPG by shutting down 4 cylinders on the engine.
If you do some internet searching there have been problems of excess oil consumption, in some cases leading to damage that requires a new engine. I frequent a couple of Chevy Truck forums and from what I've seen the issues are the worst with the first model year, 2007. I have also noted on my online searching that '07 model years seem to go for significantly less on the used market.
As a general rule I'm reluctant to buy the first model year of anything, especially something that's all new and incorporates very sophisticated technology like AFM.
In my case, based on the AFM issues and the fact that just about every 2007+ Suburban or Yukon XL I see either has a black exterior or black leather interior (both of which are deal-breakers for me) I have limited my search to either later GMT-800 models (2004 - 2006) or 2009+ GMT 900's. My thought is that by '09 I figure the AFM issues had been worked out and as a plus, 09+ gets you the 6 speed transmission vs. the 4 speed on the 07 and 08 models.
A minor factor is also that I think the GMT-900 Suburbans and Yukon XLs look odd (sort of "un proportional" if that's a word.) The shorter Tahoe/Yukon and the Avalanche look a lot better but IMO the GMT-900 Suburban or XL doesn't look good unless it's lifted slightly.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
My wife has a 2007 Tahoe that I bought for her new on 2007 and it has over 85,000 miles on it and have never had a problem with it. As for towing with the tow package it is rated for 7200 ponds, I would highly suggest putting air bags in the Tahoe if you are towing over 6,000 pounds. At 6,000 the Tahoe tows great but it squats pretty good as well since it is coil springs at all 4 corners.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I am looking for a new ride for my wife now. The 2007 Tahoe she has, has probably been the worst GM I've owned. The AFM issues are real. At 108k it's getting time to dump it. She is driving my 01 Yukon XL 8.1 with almost 300k on it.

I had considered fixing the Tahoe, but it doesn't tow well, and is short, making it squirmy in snow.

You might also look into transfer case pump rub. I'm not sure what TC's are affected but this 07 is for sure.

The rest of the ride has been good, and I'm thinking of a similar unit......Denali XL with a 6.2. It bumps the tow rating to 9100 lbs and gives you an extra 100 hp

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Over on the Avalanche forum they mention a device you can get (a tuner of some sort) that will deactivate the AFM. I assume it plugs into the OBD-II port. But for some reason, it apparently doesn't work on the '07 models.
Looking solely at prices and numbers of vehicles for sale, I see a suspiciously large number of '07 models for sale at significantly lower prices than '08 models. That alone makes me think people are dumping '07's either because they are having problems or because they are anticipating problems.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
IIRC there is a kit to deactivate (i.e. remove) the AFM on a mechanical level also. Can't remember where I saw it, perhaps related to Pontiac G8 or GTO HDPE usage.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Ive been looking at these for awhile and have driven a ton of different ones. You do see a lot more of the '07's on the market and they are much cheaper than the other years.

After looking for about 2 months I havent even found one to make an offer on. People seem to hold on to them until 150-175k miles. In my area '09's with 90,000 miles are still in the $23-25k range....which is absurd to me to pay that much for a high mileage vehicle. You would be better served finding a clean '02-06, they arent as favored by the soccer moms.

Klutch7

Regarding GMT 900 PPV or SSV Tahoes specifically, the PPV (2WD) trucks are not rated for towing - I believe due to the rear springs being more performance-oriented. I have seen guys mount a hitch to them, but wouldn't advise it for anything more than a utility trailer unless you swap the springs out. SSV trucks (4WD) got the 6-speed in 2009, PPV trucks got it in 2010 - IMO its a better transmission, and I'd hold out for it. If you're buying a Tahoe that has been used on patrol, I would service the transmission immediately as it's probably been used aggressively. These trucks can have some cool factory equipment like oil and trans fluid coolers, HD alternators, dual battery setups, etc. They're pretty barren on the inside and most have some heavy wear on the dashboard, seats and rubber flooring, but all-around I think they're pretty stout. Hope you like white!

Duke84

I have an '08 Yukon SLT I bought about a year ago. It currently has a little over 72K miles on it. I've had no issues and it does well for me in the snow. I avg around 14-16 mpg combined driving. It has room for a couple of grocery bags behind the 3rd row seat, but with the seat out is plenty big to haul all of our camping gear. I like it a lot.

A cop-used Tahoe will have been driven hard, as Klutch noted. I've been in LE over 25 yrs, cop cars have two gas pedal positions: all the way up or all the way down.:)

plumber mike

Adventurer
The AFM can be shut down with a programmer. However, if the damage is already done, it really doesn't matter.

I looked at a 2015 today. That won't happen either. The third row can't even be pulled out anymore, making more weight and less space for an already marginally sized vehicle for our needs.

Probably going to look at crate motors tonight.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I looked at a 2015 today. That won't happen either. The third row can't even be pulled out anymore, making more weight and less space for an already marginally sized vehicle for our needs.
Another thing to consider: According to Edmunds, at least, 4x4 models have single-speed T-cases unless you order the "towing package." :(

n5yzv

I sold off my 2004.5 Dodge Dually last May. It was one hell of a truck, but I got tired of getting bruised kidney's from small pot holes. I picked up an "Admin Use" Border Patrol 2005 Tahoe LT 4x4. 92k miles. I have been bringing it back from "official" use since May. Naturally, first was tires, center console, roof rack. I had to address a few mechanical items right off. AC Oddities, 2x knock sensors and 1 Crank Position Sensor. It always seemed odd at idle, but I figured it was me coming from the land of diesel. I finally got tired of it and swapped the throttle body and the idle control. That really helped allot. Runs smoother now too.

I have played a bit with the AFM. I got a ODB2 thing that "disables" it. I lost .9 mpg (tested with a trip across Texas and back, 900 miles round trip). It seemed to be more responsive. I plan to have it programed to disable the AFM before I have issues show up. I figured first, I'll swap the intake before doing so, stick it on a dyno and program it accordingly. Mechanical wise, I am learning. Luckily my brother can fix anything the right way and has a full shop and lift.

My most recent project was installing a second battery (AGM by Interstate Batteries), a battery isolator and an ARB Fridge/Freezer on the slide. This is -dam- handy. I have a solar charger installed and I am working on some stats/math on the size of panel I need. I figure a 100w will handle what I need it to do. I plan to install it under the roof rack on a "drawer" (over the windshield) with an actuator to slide it in/out when I arm/disarm the alarm.

I need to wrap up my inverter install so I can run a microwave on the road. Yeah odd. My Daughter has several disabilities and has issues with the big 4 food allergies. So we cook on the fly, often, on the side of the road on the way to Dr. Appointments.

Thus far I have really enjoyed the Tahoe. Maybe it is because I got a good deal on it, or the adventure of building it into what I would like it to be.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I picked up an "Admin Use" Border Patrol 2005 Tahoe LT 4x4. 92k miles.
I have played a bit with the AFM. I got a ODB2 thing that "disables" it. I lost .9 mpg (tested with a trip across Texas and back, 900 miles round trip). It seemed to be more responsive. I plan to have it programed to disable the AFM before I have issues show up. I figured first, I'll swap the intake before doing so, stick it on a dyno and program it accordingly. Mechanical wise, I am learning. Luckily my brother can fix anything the right way and has a full shop and lift.
Something's off here. :confused: Either your truck is not a 2005 or you're doing something other than disabling AFM because 2005 would have been a GMT-800 platform and they did not have AFM.
GMT800 was 2000 - 2006 (my Suburban, a 2004, is a GMT800.) GMT900 is 2007 - 2014.

n5yzv

Oops. Sorry: 2007 Tahoe. Dam fingers.

Something's off here. :confused: Either your truck is not a 2005 or you're doing something other than disabling AFM because 2005 would have been a GMT-800 platform and they did not have AFM.
GMT800 was 2000 - 2006 (my Suburban, a 2004, is a GMT800.) GMT900 is 2007 - 2014.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears